Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
HoosierPal

Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

Recommended Posts

-very nice summary, thanks, on the atmosphere he said Allen Fieldhouse is the best, even better than Rupp Arena, said he likes that all the A10 buildings are different but ours is the best

-said we are recruiting a few bigs that we really like but as HP said CFord did not say we will sign bigs or wings or guards, just that we will sign a couple in the off season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully a big or two will see there are minutes to be had next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sports on a Sunday Morning:  Danny McL first on commenting on doing the radio with Earl yesterday.  Nothing new here, but he said "The two fifth year GT's, SLU is not getting the type of play expected."

Ford was on also.  "This is the first game FT cost us, overall.  We had the game tied with 9 or 10 min to go, and we missed 6 straight FT.  They scored on each possession after that."

Common denominator on defeats:  No rhythm on offense.  This puts pressure on defense, and this makes our defense suffer.  We missed 21 shots yesterday within 3 feet of the basket. That and the missed FT are very deflating.  We were getting the ball where we wanted it, but we weren't finishing. It's hard to go back and play hard defense after that happens.  The Davidson game took a lot out of this team."    

Down to seven scholarship players yesterday.  "Hankton is out for a while.  Another guy could be out for a while longer (Jacobs?)". 

Dayton:  Probably as hot as anyone in the league.  Almost six guys average double figures.  Had a struggle against Duquesne, but they came back.

Per Goodwin in the PD article this morning, Bess was wearing a boot up until dressing for the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feb 4 Coaches Show with Billiken Bob and Coach Ford:  Several items were repeated from yesterday, captured above and not repeated here. 

Reminder game is 8 PM tip off.  Coach started off saying "I might have to play tomorrow".

KC Hankton out a week to 10 days with his shoulder.  A couple other players will be GTD for tomorrow.

Rammer:  On loosing streak, "When do you stop beating yourself up and say, enough is enough and move on."  Coach "Team knows they 'can do it'.  They have already won big games. It isn't stretching the story to know they can win because they have done it.  Can't worry about injuries.  We will battle with whom we have dressed."  

Coach brought in all players individually today and talked about goals and expectations.  He wants them focused on things they can accomplish rather than the outside issues.  He asked for a positive from each player.  Wants them to focus on the positive.  In a full team meeting, "What is the story that is being written about this team, what is the narrative."   "Worry about being your best, not about the win or loss."  

Coach:  Challenge of this team has been the roster churn and injuries.  He hasn't changed a lot on offense or defense because of personnel.  He talked to the team about the Patriots having a loosing streak earlier this year....all the bad stuff that was written about the Pats....that they were done..and they came back to win the Super Bowl.  'This streak isn't something foreign we are going through.'

Coach uses "EarlTimeUpdates" to keep up on STL high school hoops.

Rammer:  What are you doing in practice with few bodies.  Coach "We went three on three today.  This makes it difficult to guard the other (opponents) team's offense.  We do a lot of FT shooting." 

Text Question: Tell us about Javon Bess' injury.  "Javon has been dealing with a couple of nagging injuries. I don't want to get into the details. Javon was really struggling in the last game. We know what he means to our team.  Don't know if he will be anywhere near 100% anytime the rest of this year."  Rammer; "A lesser man wouldn't have played the past several games."  

Coach "Javon is a really quite, polite young man.  He doesn't want the spotlight.  Great accountability; you don't have to tell him to do his school work or to be on time for practice.  He is a true case of someone who has made himself a player."  "His parents are at most of his games." "His agenda is to be his best for his team to win." "This has exposed others who don't do what he does." 

AD Chris May came by to talk about the Hall of Fame induction on Feb 16.  He has heard from a lot of people just wanting to talk about Earl Austin.  May said Earl is out doing HS hockey tonight.  Coach Ford; "What does Earl know about hockey?" May; "He knows more than you and me." 

Text: What do you think about playing four guards and one big?   Coach, you'll see that a lot from now on.  With KC out, we have no choice but going with 4.  Coach, "KC found some toughness that we were looking for and then he got hurt."  He has battled a lot of injuries this year.  KC can be a big time player if he commits himself over the summer."  

Text:  To what do you tribute the early success of the team this year.  Coach, we were consistent on both the offense and defense.  The FT shooting has been consistently bad.  Davidson it was very good, Rhode Island it was very bad.  Missing those FT when we were tied at Rhode Island was the key to the game.  They scored on every subsequent possession.  It hurt our momentum.

We need to be deliberate now.  We don't need to force offense.  We don't want to get caught playing defense all night.  Teams don't score quickly on us, so we play D a lot of time.  If we shoot a quick shot, the defense time quickly adds up.  We have to make the other team guard us.  

Two years ago we were trying to figure out how to stay in games.  Now we are figuring out how to win games.  We have gotten better every year.  We have improved the program every year.  With this recruiting class coming in, we are just now getting our feet under us.  Coach said one or two recruits that we are in on could really make this a great recruiting class.

Text:  Have you ever tried the players shooting underhand FT?:  Coach: I had a coach had a few players try that. Didn't help.  

Text: Do you change your defense with only two bigs?  Coach:  you have to be aware of the foul situation, but you can't tell them to not be aggressive.  I don't really address it in front of everyone, but I give them hints 'move your feet', 'use your hands'.  But I don't say "Don't foul."

Dayton:  Maybe the best team in the league (but hasn't seen VCU or George Mason).  Have everyone from last year's team.  Toppin 'may be' an NBA draft pick this year.       

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two years ago we were trying to figure out how to stay in games.  Now we are figuring out how to win games.  We have gotten better every year.  We have improved the program every year.  With this recruiting class coming in, we are just now getting our feet under us.  Coach said one or two recruits that we are in on could really make this a great recruiting class.

These open scholarships are crucial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

These open scholarships are crucial.

I see you favor a stretch 4 from your other post the 2019 recruiting thread. In your dream scenario, who are the 2-3 guys you’d want us to land?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I see you favor a stretch 4 from your other post the 2019 recruiting thread. In your dream scenario, who are the 2-3 guys you’d want us to land?

In addition to a stretch 4, I still think we need some size, even though French seems most effective when he's the sole big on the floor. For depth and defensive purposes, we just need more. So if that means a big body like Jitoboh who won't play a ton of minutes, another athletic, active, versatile PF (someone like Dischon Thomas or Julius Marble), or a guy who can guard the 5 but step out and shoot (I keep thinking about how well French and Loe would've been together), then I think any of those would make sense. 3star has sold me on the idea of another ball handler. Doesn't have to be a star, but someone besides Collins and Goodwin who can handle it, be a reasonable threat from 3, and hit FTs consistently. I don't think a kid like that is impossible to find in the spring.

My feeling is that the kids Ford is referring to are guys we might not even know about yet; that's usually how it goes in the spring. The 2019 names I have left from last year (or earlier) on my list are probably mostly stale at this point. But if I had to build out the rest of the class from that list, I think Myles Baker (combo guard), Antonio Reeves (more of a shooter), or John Michael Wright (active, tough lead guard) could fit the bill at guard and some combo of Jankovic (versatile stretch 4), Jitoboh (big bodied post), Marble (athletic, versatile 4), Thomas (double-double PF), and Harry Morrice (stretch 5) in the front court, just to give a picture of what it might look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday with Travis, Feb 5. (only reporting items not covered last night with Rammer.)

Coach:  Bess isn't practicing.  It will be a Game Time Decision tonight if he plays, based on the trainers and how Javon feels.  If he can play, is he doing enough to help us or is he hurting himself that we need to rest him for an extended period of time.  He was on target for POY in the A10, but he needs to get healthy.

He has never been this thin (roster) in his 23 year coaching career. 

KC's shoulder:  said no time table on his recovery.  (Last night he said week to 10 days.)  Definitely out tonight.

On Dayton:  called Toppin a possible first round NBA Draft pick.  A prototypical NBA player. Dayton will play two bigs a lot, with Cunnigham inside.  'We have to make sure we are in the right position, block out."  Game will be won in the paint.  They make 7 three's a game.  Play about 8 guys.

Danny Mc asked who were influences that he looks to.  Coach:  "I pray a lot this time of the year."  He talked to Jason Selk yesterday.  Author of 'Ten Minute Toughness'.  Used to talk with Coach Pitino, but he is hard to get now that he is aboard.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/tuesdays-with-travis-february-5-2019/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, we might as well sit Bess. An at-large bid is out of the picture and with road games against VCU, Dayton, etc, we will be hard pressed to finish in the top 4. It's all about the conference tourney and need to be healthy.

That said, if Bess sits we are basically a 5 man team so that's not a great option either. But I'm just not sure tonight's game matters outside of pride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

At this point, we might as well sit Bess. An at-large bid is out of the picture and with road games against VCU, Dayton, etc, we will be hard pressed to finish in the top 4. It's all about the conference tourney and need to be healthy.

That said, if Bess sits we are basically a 5 man team so that's not a great option either. But I'm just not sure tonight's game matters outside of pride. 

Welmer does his best Willis Reed impression tonight and saves our season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Welmer does his best Willis Reed impression tonight and saves our season 

More likely Raboin and Hightower combine to go 20 for 20 at the three point line and we win by 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Welmer does his best Willis Reed impression tonight and saves our season 

 

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

More likely Raboin and Hightower combine to go 20 for 20 at the three point line and we win by 30

-either is fine, whatever it takes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do all teams have assistant's who are available to advance to player status?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

More likely Raboin and Hightower combine to go 20 for 20 at the three point line and we win by 30

Or they hit key FT's to eke out the W. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the A-10 zebras will continue to fuok us in the ass like strangers, Larry, despite us having like 5 healthy guys.

I'm guessing IT IS DECIDEDLY SO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Ford and Rammer, Feb 11:

Talked about the roller coaster week; Dayton was maybe the best game we've played all year.  Then the flip side at St.Joes, nothing went our way.  A lot of underlying circumstances effected the game. Mentioned the late bucket (by Isabell) at our home game that motivated St Joe's.  The honorarium for 'Pop's', the Hawks raised their level for the occasion.  Coach didn't think we responded very well in the second half.  Everything snowballed on us.  Even the walk-on's scored on us.  Our success is based on effort and mental aspect.  We started looking at the score, got depressed, and didn't do anything about it. Joe Lunardi, their announcer, said he had never seen the Hawks play that well.  Coach Ford asked the team to go show respect to Coach Martelli at the beginning of the game.  Rammer said after the game he saw Martelli, and Martelli mentioned how much that gesture meant to him.  He also said Coach Ford was one of the first to call him after his father passed away.

Team took Sat and Sun off. Coach stayed in the NE to recruit.  He saw multiple tourney's games.  Saw players currently recruiting as well as other classes.

Text Question: I'm still behind you, do you plan on staying at SLU long term?  He really didn't answer, but appreciated the support. He said he loves living in STL.  He really likes his incoming recruiting class.  Said we have had a lot of bad luck this time year, but things have been out of his control.  We are just now getting our feet under us.  Thinks he will have a more stable roster coming up.  Brian Kunderman told Rammer that in the A10, in other team's main rotation, there are only 8 seniors.  So the league is going to explode. 

Text:  What is the key in getting our team clicking on all cylinders?   We know what our identity is, but we have to do what makes us successful.  For us it is on the defensive stats. Right now if we don'f play high defense, our backs are against the wall.  We are pushing every button trying to get our guys to be in a position to be successful.  

Rammer:  why does game prep sometimes fall flat?  Coach, we had a good shoot around before St. Joe.  Thought the team was ready.  We just couldn't keep up Friday.  He looked at all the pre-game events and said it was all normal.  He said the Richmond game was the only other "poor performance", we didn't give ourselves a chance.  Coach talked about his pregame routine.  He always wore two pair of socks.  Said Doug Smith at Mizzou wore 8 pairs of socks.  He wore Converse, 3/4 - not high tops or low cuts.  

Text:  Does a short bench let you learn about your players?  Guys all know they are going to play.  The negative part, it is hard to hold guys accountable because they know they are going to play - there is no other option. 

Saturday, Hall of Fame luncheon is at 1 PM.  No basketball players in the class but three are who influenced the program, Father G, Earl Austin and Dr. Chaifetz.  Having Dr. Chaifetz around has been great. He has been a great example to our guys who took advantage of his education, used the relationships he developed here and succeeded.   When someone gives as much money as he has, it influences others to give also.  Everyone in STL knows Earl.  Coach asks Earl about players all the time.  He doesn't embellish, he tells the truth on the player.  Earl sees more players locally than Coach gets to see.

Talk about the Point Guard role:  Coach talked about how good a passer H Waldman was.  Have to be unselfish.  Have to understand where every person should be.  Thinks Jordan is getting more comfortable in it.  He has really worked hard at it.  Since flipping from Isabell, both have embraced the change.

GW:  Coach has looked at their tape.  They have talented guards.  Leading scorer is their 4 man.  They are good at home.  Fans are right on top of the floor.  We have to play better than we played last game.  Start of game 5:30 PM Central.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach Ford and Rammer, Feb 11:

Talked about the roller coaster week; Dayton was maybe the best game we've played all year.  Then the flip side at St.Joes, nothing went our way.  A lot of underlying circumstances effected the game. Mentioned the late bucket (by Isabell) at our home game that motivated St Joe's.  The honorarium for 'Pop's', the Hawks raised their level for the occasion.  Coach didn't think we responded very well in the second half.  Everything snowballed on us.  Even the walk-on's scored on us.  Our success is based on effort and mental aspect.  We started looking at the score, got depressed, and didn't do anything about it. Joe Lunardi, their announcer, said he had never seen the Hawks play that well.  Coach Ford asked the team to go show respect to Coach Martelli at the beginning of the game.  Rammer said after the game he saw Martelli, and Martelli mentioned how much that gesture meant to him.  He also said Coach Ford was one of the first to call him after his father passed away.

Team took Sat and Sun off. Coach stayed in the NE to recruit.  He saw multiple tourney's games.  Saw players currently recruiting as well as other classes.

Text Question: I'm still behind you, do you plan on staying at SLU long term?  He really didn't answer, but appreciated the support. He said he loves living in STL.  He really likes his incoming recruiting class.  Said we have had a lot of bad luck this time year, but things have been out of his control.  We are just now getting our feet under us.  Thinks he will have a more stable roster coming up.  Brian Kunderman told Rammer that in the A10, in other team's main rotation, there are only 8 seniors.  So the league is going to explode. 

Text:  What is the key in getting our team clicking on all cylinders?   We know what our identity is, but we have to do what makes us successful.  For us it is on the defensive stats. Right now if we don'f play high defense, our backs are against the wall.  We are pushing every button trying to get our guys to be in a position to be successful.  

Rammer:  why does game prep sometimes fall flat?  Coach, we had a good shoot around before St. Joe.  Thought the team was ready.  We just couldn't keep up Friday.  He looked at all the pre-game events and said it was all normal.  He said the Richmond game was the only other "poor performance", we didn't give ourselves a chance.  Coach talked about his pregame routine.  He always wore two pair of socks.  Said Doug Smith at Mizzou wore 8 pairs of socks.  He wore Converse, 3/4 - not high tops or low cuts.  

Text:  Does a short bench let you learn about your players?  Guys all know they are going to play.  The negative part, it is hard to hold guys accountable because they know they are going to play - there is no other option. 

Saturday, Hall of Fame luncheon is at 1 PM.  No basketball players in the class but three are who influenced the program, Father G, Earl Austin and Dr. Chaifetz.  Having Dr. Chaifetz around has been great. He has been a great example to our guys who took advantage of his education, used the relationships he developed here and succeeded.   When someone gives as much money as he has, it influences others to give also.  Everyone in STL knows Earl.  Coach asks Earl about players all the time.  He doesn't embellish, he tells the truth on the player.  Earl sees more players locally than Coach gets to see.

Talk about the Point Guard role:  Coach talked about how good a passer H Waldman was.  Have to be unselfish.  Have to understand where every person should be.  Thinks Jordan is getting more comfortable in it.  He has really worked hard at it.  Since flipping from Isabell, both have embraced the change.

GW:  Coach has looked at their tape.  They have talented guards.  Leading scorer is their 4 man.  They are good at home.  Fans are right on top of the floor.  We have to play better than we played last game.  Start of game 5:30 PM Central.  

 

WTF to all of the bold text. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

WTF to all of the bold text. 

Ask Coach Ford.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/tuesdays-with-travis-february-12-2019/

Tuesday with Danny Mc:  New stuff

1) GW will play four guards most of the time.  They will play a lot of zone against us.  They will push the ball a lot and shoot a lot of three's.

2) Talked about Bonner coming in to practice and talking to the team.  Said Hughes is OOT but may come in to practice when he gets back into  town.  Said the players talking to these NBA players is huge.  "They know who Hughes and Bonner are and know their success."   Bonner has told French what it means to be a physical post player.  "You don't have to be 6'9", it's more about your heart and your mind." ( @Taj79 7:45 in the link.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it ..... isn't Steph Curry stopping in at Davidson this week when he's nearby for the All-Star game?  And yes, I heard Curry was Grady's favorite player which explains why a kid from Massachusetts goes to a tiny pissant school in Carolina, I guess.  It happens.  Ben Simmons wants to talk to Magic Johnson about being a big point guard.  Connie Hawkins once took hook-shot lessons from George Mikan.  I'd be willing to bet there is a basketball alum or two from each D1 school that might be able to impart some wisdom on the current rosters somewhere.  Current kids know who these geezers are.  Great.  Don't mean nuthin' ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

WTF to all of the bold text. 

I am with you on that. Where would Ford even go though? St. Louis has the area to recruit and SLU has the facilities so I can’t imagine him wanting to go to a smaller school in a lesser conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Ford is in the perfect situation.  If he wins 20 games next year he gets a healthy extension.  If he takes us to the NCAA 3 times in the next 4 years, he can parlay that success into a P6 offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×