Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

Scheduling: why aren't we invited to good pre season holiday tourneys? Not the ones that are rigged w/some home buy games. And the 4 teams play one game in one place. I'm taking about like the Hawaii tournament. 8 teams and an actual champion. I think the last one we played in was that Anaheim tourney in the '11-12 season. We won it. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Too early for a game day thread so I put this here.  Media related.

I know we all wanted to see KC and Jacobs, but maybe...just maybe...Ford saw we would need 3/4 wins in 3/4 days and put them on the shelf to make sure they were ready to play minutes in the A-10 tourney. 

16 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I know we all wanted to see KC and Jacobs, but maybe...just maybe...Ford saw we would need 3/4 wins in 3/4 days and put them on the shelf to make sure they were ready to play minutes in the A-10 tourney. 

Need to get some of what you're smoking........

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Need to get some of what you're smoking........

It does make sense. There's no denying the team we currently put on the floor(without Hankton and Jacobs) should have been good enough to get a top 4 seed in this A10 tournament but is not deep enough to outlast 3 games in 3 days.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

It does make sense. There's no denying the team we currently put on the floor(without Hankton and Jacobs) have should have been good enough to get a top 4 seed in this A10 tournament but is not deep enough to outlast 3 games in 3 days.

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut Bess's minutes than saving those two?

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut Bess's minutes than saving those two?

Coach Ford can't keep Bess off the floor.  You could amputate one of his legs, and he'd still play (and be better than half the guys in the conference).  Bess has been checking himself into drills at practice; he'd probably check himself into games, too.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

Little late but did anyone catch Ford on the radio yesterday at 10:50 am.

Yes. Coach is happy about the A-10 championship and how his guys stuck together and kept believing they could put a run together.

BillIkenFan_Dan likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @RiseAndGrind for posting this tweet in another thread. 

Coach thinks the adversity early in the season helped the team in the end.  Coach said how they handled the St Joe loss was good.  They concentrated on how well St. Joe played rather than how bad they played.  "We took it off the team."

He thought the losses at Dayton and VCU were well played games by the team.  We didn't play well at St Bonnie, but used that lesson to play them again in the tourney.

He thought the Richmond game was going to be the toughest game in the Tourney due to match up issues with Richmond.

On Bess, Coach said he had his first 'heart to heart' before Senior Night, telling Javon how much he meant to Coach.  Coach took him to lunch on his birthday last week. Coach said he will get an opportunity to play in the NBA.  He has yet to hire an agent, but he looking for one now.

Coach expects a record # of transfers this year, for the entire NCAA.  Coach said that each Final Four team is experienced.  With Duke and KY out, Pat Forde said there could be 0 minutes from Top 100 players played in the Final Four.  

Coach expects Thatch to make a huge jump on the offensive side of his game.  Did comment on Jacobs and Hankton and how their injuries impacted them. Said they are "huge for us".  [I'm guessing from that comment both will return.] He relayed again that he hopes to add a piece or two 'mostly a big'.

On the Final Four, thought the draw was tough as VT knew us.  No sneaking up on them.  First half was a reflection on the past week, four days of tourney, going to a 'high' from the aftermath, but thought the second half was very good.  Called the entire game as a memorable event for the team.

BenFred asked about FT%.  "We got to get better...we have to."  "French has made huge strides in FT" in the practice.  He can make 80 of 100 in practice.  We have to spend an enormous amount of time on all around shooting this summer.   Coach hopes the blue hard hats stick around. 

When asked about Majerus, Ford did go head to head as coach when he was at UMass.  He also played against his team at Utah.  "He knew how to teach the game."  

Interesting that he says we'll add "a piece or two" when we have three scholarships to give.

I like that he says Thatch will make a big leap offensively. Honestly, he has to. His numbers weren't very good and he's the #3 guy returning. We only have three players with serious game experience here coming back. This is a massive opportunity for Thatch.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Interesting that he says we'll add "a piece or two" when we have three scholarships to give.

I like that he says Thatch will make a big leap offensively. Honestly, he has to. His numbers weren't very good and he's the #3 guy returning. We only have three players with serious game experience here coming back. This is a massive opportunity for Thatch.

Mid season transfer or prioritizing class of 2020? 

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Mid season transfer or prioritizing class of 2020? 

Well, either way would be prioritizing 2020. I'm guessing he'd like to have at least two guaranteed spots for 2020 recruits, though.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

you're not kidding, in the slightest.  His last 7 games 2.1pts, 70%ft(I'll take) , 14% from 3, and 22% fg.  He more or less needs to be more consistent(frosh probs).  The previous 7 games he went 70% from ft, 35% from 3, and 46% from fg. 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

you're not kidding, in the slightest.  His last 7 games 2.1pts, 70%ft(I'll take) , 14% from 3, and 22% fg.  He more or less needs to be more consistent(frosh probs).  The previous 7 games he went 70% from ft, 35% from 3, and 46% from fg. 

He got off to a cold start but had a couple good non-conference games offensively, like Butler and Oregon State, and he was decent against FSU and App State. But he really didn't get going more consistently until a few weeks into the A10 season. And then yeah, he kinda disappeared in the A10 Tournament. Hit a couple shots against Richmond and didn't have a FG in the last four games.

I think he was very good defensively all year and found ways to impact the game that don't always show up on stat sheets. But he can and must make a huge jump offensively. We return 26.2 points per game.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

On Bess, Coach said he had his first 'heart to heart' before Senior Night, telling Javon how much he meant to Coach.  Coach took him to lunch on his birthday last week. Coach said he will get an opportunity to play in the NBA. 

NCAA announcing death penalty to SLU for impermissible benefits. 

Coach314 likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

He's been saying that for two months now.  That's why I never thought a grad transfer guard was in the cards. He likes the guards he has now.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

He's been saying that for two months now.  That's why I never thought a grad transfer guard was in the cards. He likes the guards he has now.

Completely agree with that. I just wondered if he'd acknowledge how many scholarships he actually has now that Welmer has made his retirement official. It's rare to sit on a scholarship anymore, given the transfer environment. But hey, I'd be happy with a grad transfer big, then maybe a guy like Carpenter or Maidoh - the two most recent offers - and the third going to Raboin again.

Just now, Pistol said:

Completely agree with that. I just wondered if he'd acknowledge how many scholarships he actually has now that Welmer has made his retirement official. It's rare to sit on a scholarship anymore, given the transfer environment. But hey, I'd be happy with a grad transfer big, then maybe a guy like Carpenter or Maidoh - the two most recent offers - and the third going to Raboin again.

I don't mind sitting on one for a mid-season transfer.  The pickings for more than a stop gap big man might be better at that time for SLU.  

Get two grad transfer bigs if you can, sit on one scholarship for a mid-season transfer and you have two open slots minimum for the 2020 recruiting class.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

#FreeRaboin 

drkelsey55 likes this