Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the only thing i dont like about post game is as billiken rich so well defined, are the actual non fans rushing to beat the traffic and wont stay around after for the proper send off.  

my gosh folks, we just saw two of the best transfer years ever with what javon bess gave us at least stay around and try to make him cry with thunderous support    please!

It looks like there will be eight honored tomorrow. That will take x minutes likely between 15 and 20. The game is on TV which means an on time 7:05 start. So if the ceremony was pre game it would need to start at 6:30. I think you would have a similar attendance issue with fans not getting there early. The ones that do are the same ones that will stay. Just my view from the cheap seats.  Or saying pre or post is better; there are attendance issues for both. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

It looks like there will be eight honored tomorrow. That will take x minutes likely between 15 and 20. The game is on TV which means an on time 7:05 start. So if the ceremony was pre game it would need to start at 6:30. I think you would have a similar attendance issue with fans not getting there early. The ones that do are the same ones that will stay. Just my view from the cheap seats.  Or saying pre or post is better; there are attendance issues for both. 

Agreed. On TV they show warmups occasionally. Nobody there in the lower bowl. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Id start the ceremony at 7 and when completed the teams could warm up for 10 mins then start the game

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Id start the ceremony at 7 and when completed the teams could warm up for 10 mins then start the game

TV wouldn’t let that happen. Game starts at 7:05 for TV. Your scenario has no set TV time. Take the game off TV if you want a pregame ceremony at 7pm. Or start the ceremony at 6:30 and make sure you are done for tip off.or pull the game off of FoxSportsMidwest and put it on ESPN+ which reduces the viewership  

Just watched Butler. They had their ceremony after the game. Not that it matters what Butler does. 

I agree, but once in rare awhile someone really special like javon bess comes along and we should  just say F it.  He deserves something special with a fan filled arena.   

Sadly instead by the time javon heads to the halfline with his parents there will likely only be less than 2,000 of us left in the arena.    Sad.  He deserves WAY better.

AGB91 likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree, but once in rare awhile someone really special like javon bess comes along and we should  just say F it.  He deserves something special with a fan filled arena.   

Sadly instead by the time javon heads to the halfline with his parents there will likely only be less than 2,000 of us left in the arena.    Sad.  He deserves WAY better.

Lock the doors.

Billiken Rich and CBFan like this

57 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Isabell was on ESPN 101 yesterday around 4pm talking about his Wed. night game. Gave a really great interview.

Emphasized the team effort it takes to have a night like that, and how the team needs to recognize a guy is in the zone and make the opportunities for him. Mentioned he was more concerned about winning the game, but in the last 3 seconds thought, "It's senior night, my whole family is here, maybe I'll just take it" 

Gave a shout out to Williams' abilities, very mature.

Also spoke about how he would have liked to be at SLU for 4-5 years, knowing what he does now. 

He also mentioned that Ford told him from day 1 that it would take until Feb-March for him to really click with the offense,  the last few games have seen that come to fruition. Said he was really losing confidence in the beginning of the season but Ford always maintained confidence in him. 

My own thoughts: He sounded really grateful for his time on team blue. And despite the heat he gets on this forum, he's a great billiken. Always trying to get the offense going. If he(and the rest of the crew) can take that confidence into the tourney, we've got a real shot to cut the nets. 

That's a pretty neat interview.  Thanks for the report.  My 2 cents is that Isabell is going to have to carry a rather large load the rest of the way.  He won't need to score 30+ but he will need to be a dominate force.  Bess' three point shot is gone (15% last 5 games), so we need to turn to Isabell to go hero ball as much as he can. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That's a pretty neat interview.  Thanks for the report.  My 2 cents is that Isabell is going to have to carry a rather large load the rest of the way.  He won't need to score 30+ but he will need to be a dominate force.  Bess' three point shot is gone (15% last 5 games), so we need to turn to Isabell to go hero ball as much as he can.  

It was neat, I was shocked to hear substantive billiken news on 101 ESPN outside of game time and scheduled weekly Ford interviews. I stayed in my car for 10 min after getting home to listen. I really felt for Javon on everyone of those missed 3's the other night. Really seems out of sort, maybe he can get it back via adrenaline come tourney time. He has a way of showing up when we really need him, but we really didn't need his 3 point shot wed.  night thanks to Izzy. Bess' drive and pull up game seems more intact, though still not what it was before. Maybe he can rely on that more.

14 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

It was neat, I was shocked to hear substantive billiken news on 101 ESPN outside of game time and scheduled weekly Ford interviews. I stayed in my car for 10 min after getting home to listen. I really felt for Javon on everyone of those missed 3's the other night. Really seems out of sort, maybe he can get it back via adrenaline come tourney time. He has a way of showing up when we really need him, but we really didn't need his 3 point shot wed.  night thanks to Izzy. Bess' drive and pull up game seems more intact, though still not what it was before. Maybe he can rely on that more.

Agree. We also need Bess on the floor for his FT's at crunch time.  Isabell appeared to tire and his FT's near the end weren't dead on.  Let Bess handle the ball when it is foul 'em time.  Goodwin's FT has disappeared again.  Thatch is really the next guy on my list that I want to see at the FT line.  He just hasn't shot that many in recent games.

I just cringe a little now when Bess lines up a three.  We need him to get his shot back.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree. We also need Bess on the floor for his FT's at crunch time.  Isabell appeared to tire and his FT's near the end weren't dead on.  Let Bess handle the ball when it is foul 'em time.  Goodwin's FT has disappeared again.  Thatch is really the next guy on my list that I want to see at the FT line.  He just hasn't shot that many in recent games.

I just cringe a little now when Bess lines up a three.  We need him to get his shot back.

I think if Javon nails one or two early in a game we could see him get hot and make up for those misses pretty quickly. Thatch is quickly becoming the most exciting billiken for me. I feel more confident with him on the floor. 

46 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Very articulate young man.  Impressive.  He discussed his early struggles here at SLU and how he put too much pressure on himself.  He expressed a lot of respect for Coach Ford and how intense he is.

Funny on his comments on Drexel. Game at St. Joe, he had 18 requests for tickets for the game, and he is from Seattle.

He is roommates with Welmer.  Isabell said he wished Elliott had tried a three.

I wish they had asked him about his plans after our NCAA tourney run.

JGR6396 likes this

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Goodwin is 11 for his last 25.  French, he's 10 for his last 25.

WOW. 

Do we pull Goodwin AND French is a tight game at the end?  We do need five:  Bess, Isabell, Thatch, then Wiley? (12 of 21 for the year), uh....., hmm.....Hankton? (6 of 8 for the year)... not a lot of options.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

speaking of goodwin free throws, i noticed Wednesday night whenever jordan was at the line, he wasnt even looking at the rim until he was starting his motion to shoot.   he probably doesnt even know he is doing that.   watching the rim or back of the rim as i think most good shooters look at, would seem to be the first thing needed to start the focus on shooting the shot.    again, with ford being one of the best free throw/shooters in history, why is this even a problem with our team?  

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

speaking of goodwin free throws, i noticed Wednesday night whenever jordan was at the line, he wasnt even looking at the rim until he was starting his motion to shoot.   he probably doesnt even know he is doing that.   watching the rim or back of the rim as i think most good shooters look at, would seem to be the first thing needed to start the focus on shooting the shot.    again, with ford being one of the best free throw/shooters in history, why is this even a problem with our team?  

I assume you saw wgstl's post:  Goodwin is 11 for his last 25.  French, he's 10 for his last 25. That is scary.

We all know about the Davidson game FT (which BTW Goodwin was 8 of 11 from the line that game).  He went to the gym and shot FT after FT. The next three games he hits a small sample size of 6 of 8, but hey, 75% is 75%. Since then, what has happened?

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

You go back for the last 7 games and Goodwin is 16 of 40, 40%.  11 of 25 is an improvement, 44%.  The arrow is pointing UP!

I was also digging a little further, while Jgood is 16/40 for last 40, french is 14/41. 

HoosierPal likes this

Sports on a Sunday Morning:  Team came home after the game.  As he should, Coach downplayed not getting the 4th seed. Tendonitis in Bess' Achilles is his injury.  It hasn't gotten better or worse in the last four to six weeks.  Coach called him and the UMass player he had, Setphan Lasme, the best two defenders in his 22 years.

Coach as you would expect, says we can play with any of the Top Teams in the A10 tourney.  He said any of seven or eight could win the tourney.

Host Tom Ackerman, you could tell, really wasn't up or informed on the Bills.  

On 3/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, billiken_roy said:

goodwin has a couple hitches when he shoots ft's and on his release he shoots the ball forward instead of up and most misses are long

Last Coach's Show of the Season:  

Coach is under the weather.  But he is doing the show and then he will go back to watch tape.  Team heads to NY tomorrow.  Difficult to manage your practice when you have two teams to scout.  Have to prepare for both teams until Wednesday when the PIG is held. We know that either Richmond or Fordham will play a zone.

St. Bonaventure game:  Game started with a bad tip, it hit someone's shoulder.  Coach complemented the crowd at Olean.  We didn't convert 35 opportunities with 3 feet of the basket.  That includes missing FT's on shots at the rim, having the ball ripped out, etc., not just missed shots.  The Bonnie's had not been playing the 3-2 zone that they threw at us.  Ford had not seen it on any video that he viewed.   Kudos from Coach Ford to Coach Schmidt for throwing the zone at SLU. We are second in the league in defending the three.  When the 3D isn't working, we are in trouble. We also didn't get the volume of FT we need.

Rammer said about the only guy around who is as hot as Isabell is Yuri Collins.  (Coach agreed.)  In December, when Isabell was going through some struggles, he met with Coach.  Coach told him in Dec that his best ball will be in Feb and March.  Isabell had to change from taking every shot available, to playing in a team concept.  It took time for Coach to figure out how best to use him.  His decision making with the ball has improved significantly as he went through the season.

Ford: French is getting double teamed more than any other player in the A10.  If he wasn't getting that much 'respect' he would be up 18 to 19 ppg.  Coach said yes he is leaving 3 or 4 points on the FT line.  Coach said French 'gets it'.  They work daily on French being double teamed.

Tourney Talk:  Staff debated on how much time they needed to review St. Bonaventure with the team.  Coach changed this up and had the team watch the tape on their own, without the coaches.  He asked for the team to explain the issues to the staff.  Tomorrow they will break down Fordham first and Richmond second.  They were off yesterday and went really hard today.  (Had an AM FT session, and a hard PM practice.) 

Coach has given up trying to protect Javon Bess in practice.  Bess jumped into a 4 on 4 without coach putting him on one of the 4 man teams.  Bess told another player to set out.  Coach yells at the other player for setting out.  Bess won't tell the trainers or coaches how much his tendon effects him.  

On Wed, at the Fordham/Richmond game, Macon scouts Richmond and Tate scouts Fordham.  Tate also has Dayton, with Bailey assisting.  Players probably won't go to the game and rest.  They have already played at Barkley.  They will have a team meeting after the F/R game is over Wed.  Shoot around on Thursday is very crucial to cover the opponent.   The game is 8:30 PM Eastern.  They will let the team sleep in, practice at NY-Brooklyn gym, very close to Barkley, at 11 AM or Noon for a Thursday practice.

Text:  Which is the more difficult as a college coach, prep for a game or recruiting and focusing on next year's class.  Ford, prep is easy, getting the team to execute is the hard part.  Ford, recruiting is very hard, it is constant.  Ford brought up scheduling is very hard also.  Hard to figure out what you need, what the team can handle, and then have to find teams that will play you.  Ford is working on scheduling daily, and he isn't even close to being finished.  No one is willing to commit early to playing us and Coach isn't willing to commit early to playing other teams.   

Coach left early and Coach Stone took over.  Women are playing Kansas at Lawrence next season.  

moytoy12 and CBFan like this