Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, HoosierPal said:

Mike Claiborne first had HOF Earl Austin on KMOX Sports on a Sunday.  Earl was on the road driving to Richmond with Rammer.   Earl spoke highly of Anthony Bonner coming in for practice.  "He shows you how to do it, rather than telling you how to do it".  Earl was very complementary of how much Bonner's presence at practice has meant to the team.

Coach Ford was on later. They started talking about Bonner again. +++.  

Jacobs and Hankton "just aren't ready to go".  [ Yesterday Rammer said Hankton had separated his shoulder against Rhode Island.] Coach said yesterday "fatigue, for the first time this season, was a major, major issue".  He liked the effort yesterday.  "We didn't lose the game, Dayton won the game."  Went from up 19-9 to down 22-21 at half.  Had to play zone to rest as much as possible.  

Complemented Thatch saying "he might be our best shooter.  He makes them all in practice."

VCU has won 8 straight by 17 or more.  They can compete with us physically.  It will be a sell out as always.  {Coach didn't say this, but he referred to the six being pressed by VCU, alluding-to me- that Wiley might not be ready.  That is my assumption.} 

Funny ending, Mike said for Coach to ask Rammer the time when they had to have the announcers suit up for a practice on the road.  Coach laughed, saying he'd put Earl in the post.  Clairborne said "He won't pass it".    

Thatch needs to start every game the rest of the season.  He has been the second best player on the team behind Bess in conference play according to advance stats.  It isn't only a building for the future thing, it gives us the best chance to win now.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Thatch needs to start every game the rest of the season.  He has been the second best player on the team behind Bess in conference play according to advance stats.  It isn't only a building for the future thing, it gives us the best chance to win now.

-start instead of TI? 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Could start at the 3 and move Bess to the 4. Just a thought. 

I like this for a couple reasons:

1. I like to see Thatch get more opportunities.

2. I really like Foreman’s game when he’s the lone big on the court. He thrived in that role against Dayton. Sure he had 5 TOs on travels but at this time of the year oh well

3. It gives Foreman a little more of a rest and potentially alleviates foul concerns.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Please tell me who could ever create his own shot. TI has faults but our pathetic offense would be a hell of a lot worse without him. 

You tell Thatch to shoot more. Neither TI's effective FG% or true shooting percentage justify the amount the amount of shots he takes. Isabell creates a bunch of shots he misses.  His getting minutes over Thatch is actually making the team worse offensively.  Thatch is a superior shooter, Thatch draws fouls at more than double the rate per shot and Thatch is 40+% less likely to turn the ball over per touch.

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You tell Thatch to shoot more. Neither TI's effective FG% or true shooting percentage justify the amount the amount of shots he takes. Isabell creates a bunch of shots he misses.  His getting minutes over Thatch is actually making the team worse offensively.  Thatch is a superior shooter, Thatch draws fouls at more than double the rate per shot and Thatch is 40+% less likely to turn the ball over per touch.

Disagree. I don't believe Fred can create his own shot. His makes are open shots. Would I like to see more of Fred? Yes, but I don't think Isabell is the problem a lot on this board believes. 

30 minutes ago, willie said:

Disagree. I don't believe Fred can create his own shot. His makes are open shots. Would I like to see more of Fred? Yes, but I don't think Isabell is the problem a lot on this board believes. 

Actually Isabell has played fairly well over the last 7-8 games. He was misplaced as a PG, but as a two he's been freed up to create his own shot. Wished Travis had given up on that experiment a lot earlier than the start of conference play. The only guy at this point who's subject to some criticism is Foreman. He still has those moments where he starts his drive from the line and either bangs it off his knee OB, travels, gets caught in traffic and forces up something that resembles a lay up. My suggestion would be to play Bess at the 4 and start Fred. Foreman should be used if we're getting pounded on the inside, to give French and/or Bess a breather, or if French gets into foul trouble. He'll still get his 15 to 20 min a game in either case. He looked gassed against Dayton.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

when will we get more recruiting news? April?

April and May will be very active, but hopefully we have plenty to talk about this March. Two new offers last week might be the sign of an uptick in activity to come.

In the meantime, I did a full refresh today on the Recruiting Lists thread. Names with activity include:

2019: Jason Jitoboh, Oton Jankovic, Julius Marble, Michael Moreno, Antonio Reeves.

2020: LJ Cryer, RJ Davis, Xavier Foster, Seryee Lewis, Matthew Murrell, Woody Newton, Jackson Sivills, DJ Steward, Keshawn Williams.

2021: Trinity Bell, Adrian Griffin Jr.

But plenty of other odds and ends and updated lists.

2 hours ago, willie said:

The fact that Thatch in conference games has averaged .668 free throw attempts for every field goal attempt, suggests that Thatch isn't just taking wide open shots.  Thatch leads the team in that category in conference games.  Isabell averages .332 free throw attempts for every field goal attempt.   

And transfer and grad transfer lists will grow mightily after the NCAA's are over. I would hate to see us go as strong into the GT market as we did this year, unless it's a guy you just can't pass on, but would love to see us get a big out of that market. A transfer wouldn't hurt either if we think we can get a waiver. But putting one in the pocket for 20-21 wouldn't hurt either. Have no idea on where we stand in the JUCO market, or if we're even looking.

Just out of curiosity would anyone object to making another run at Mickey Pearson again? I read something on him about two months ago and think his best offer was from Rutgers. Granted, a P5 school, but not as high as I think he was shooting for. I'm not arguing we should or should not make another attempt, just interested to see what everyone would think about it if we did. I think that ship has sailed but one never knows.

56 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And transfer and grad transfer lists will grow mightily after the NCAA's are over. I would hate to see us go as strong into the GT market as we did this year, unless it's a guy you just can't pass on, but would love to see us get a big out of that market. A transfer wouldn't hurt either if we think we can get a waiver. But putting one in the pocket for 20-21 wouldn't hurt either. Have no idea on where we stand in the JUCO market, or if we're even looking.

Just out of curiosity would anyone object to making another run at Mickey Pearson again? I read something on him about two months ago and think his best offer was from Rutgers. Granted, a P5 school, but not as high as I think he was shooting for. I'm not arguing we should or should not make another attempt, just interested to see what everyone would think about it if we did. I think that ship has sailed but one never knows.

i think we need to go for at least one graduate transfer big.   especially if we are going to strike out in bigs via high school, prep or juco.   we need at least one big.  

AGB91 likes this

58 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wouldn't, but I don't think the staff will reopen things with a kid who backed out of his commitment. Nor do I think Pearson would come back; too much pride on the line. I think he's measuring 6-9 now and he could be a stretch 4 for us. He's a good rebounder and 3-point shooter with a ton of range. Looks like Rutgers, Texas Tech, and Ole Miss are his leaders, with a few others involved.

SLURadioBoy mentioned Coach on with Frank in another thread.   

Coach called Jacobs' ankle very compromised.  He has trouble moving on defense.  Same with Wiley, he can't move well on D. His knee swells daily and it is hard to determine his status until he shows up at practice.  KC is the healthiest of the three, but Coach said he is maybe 65%.  Coach lamented on all the time KC has missed due to injuries this year.

Frank asked about Yuri Collins.  Frank said  "I don't think I've seen a passer on the High School level that is as special as he is."  Coach talked about his triple double, and how he has bounced back from his shoulder injury.  Collins does what he has to, an old school point guard. Makes everyone better around him.

Jimerson considered one of the top 5 shooters in the country who will be a freshman next year.  Can shoot it and score it, creating off the dribble.  He has a nice step back and can hit off of a screen.  Has had three games in the 40's.  In the gym at 6 am.

Hargrove getting better every month.  He is still growing, might hit 6'9" in the future.  Kid loves to play basketball.  People overlook his skill level because of his athleticism.

Perkins, scoring a lot of points quickly.  All time leading scorer at SWIC.  In 2 years averaged about 24 ppg.  Seven games over 30 this year, three games over 40.  Has played all five positions. He brings the ball up, plays post, sets screens, runs the wing.

As SLURadio said, we are actively recruiting good post players.  Adding 2 or 3 players this spring.

French's FT?  They worked on French FT's a lot of this last summer.  He can hit 75 to 80% in practice.  Called it a mental issue now. They tweaked his shot quite a bit in the past.

Goodwin banking in FT.  "It's not an easy shot."  This summer is very crucial for Goodwin and French.  He forcasts 'huge leaps" for both.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach called Jacobs' ankle very compromised.  He has trouble moving on defense.  Same with Wiley, he can't move well on D. His knee swells daily and it is hard to determine his status until he shows up at practice.  KC is the healthiest of the three, but Coach said he is maybe 65%.  Coach lamented on all the time KC has missed due to injuries this year.

Frank asked about Yuri Collins.  Frank said  "I don't think I've seen a passer on the High School level that is as special as he is."  Coach talked about his triple double, and how he has bounced back from his shoulder injury.  Collins does what he has to, an old school point guard. Makes everyone better around him.

Jimerson considered one of the top 5 shooters in the country who will be a freshman next year.  Can shoot it and score it, creating off the dribble.  He has a nice step back and can hit off of a screen.  Has had three games in the 40's.  In the gym at 6 am.

Hargrove getting better every month.  He is still growing, might hit 6'9" in the future.  Kid loves to play basketball.  People overlook his skill level because of his athleticism.

Perkins, scoring a lot of points quickly.  All time leading scorer at SWIC.  In 2 years averaged about 24 ppg.  Seven games over 30 this year, three games over 40.  Has played all five positions. He brings the ball up, plays post, sets screens, runs the wing.

As SLURadio said, we are actively recruiting good post players.  Adding 2 or 3 players this spring.

French's FT?  They worked on French FT's a lot of this last summer.  He can hit 75 to 80% in practice.  Called it a mental issue now. They tweaked his shot quite a bit in the past.

Goodwin banking in FT.  "It's not an easy shot."  This summer is very crucial for Goodwin and French.  He forcasts 'huge leaps" for both.

-you saying this or CFord?

-thanks for the summary

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank HP appreciate your summaries of the show.

Coach's Show with Rammer, March 4:

Rammer started with the media saying Mid Majors might get hosed on Selection Sunday, has this crossed Coach's mind?  Coach said they talked about this off season, talking about what it takes to be an At Large.  "It is going to be interested to see, the bubble is as broad and vague as it has ever been.  They are talking about teams with 15 losses being on the bubble.  Teams with sub .500 conference records may get in."  "NET is reported to be pro P-5."  "Criteria changes every year on At Large bids.  Thinking is that Power 5 are trying to control the selection to get as may P5 teams in as possible."  "At the end of the day it isn't the Top 68 teams that get in.  Committee needs to watch tape and pick the best teams." A team's record is somewhat an indication of how good a team is, but a win or loss may be due to injuries on either side."  At OKState, all he was worried about to get into the NCAA was a minimal .500 record in the Big 12.  OOC didn't matter."  Scheduling makes it difficult. Coach pointed out that SLU is now considered a Bad Loss to some of the teams (Seton Hall a Q3 loss, Butler a Q2 loss) that are bubble teams. When the game was scheduled, SLU would have been considered a likely Q1 game.  When P-5 leagues all go to 20 games, it will be very difficult for mid majors to schedule.  Coach doesn't know if A10 will go to 20 games.   Talked about the A10 playing every team once, then play the last five games against those teams closest in the standing.  Coach would like to see the A10 to go to two divisions, he doesn't like the unbalanced schedule as it gives advantages to some teams.

Senior Night:  Adding the extra emotion when you are trying to prepare for a critical game.  Tough part of the game is the routine is so different for the players, family is in, emotions of last game, etc.  Doing the ceremony after the game.  First place Coach has done it after the game.  'It's the tradition here."  "It might take away some of the emotion at the start of the game."  

Commented on Isabell's recent play.  On the 'hand off to Wiley' that wasn't, it was supposed to be a hand-off, but he made a read and faked it.

Talked to the team today about taking what the defense gives you.  Wants positive plays, which may not show up in the stat sheets.  Goodwin was scoring in the post, saw the double coming, and then passing out.  Big time game with only 1 TO for Goodwin.  How hard he plays doesn't show up in the stat sheet.  Coach said we did everything in our power to let George Mason back into the game.  (Coach counts missed front ends of 1-1 as 0-2.)  He felt we still were in control when they got it down to four.  But a lot of positives for 34 minutes.

On VCU game, they came storming out.  Rammer:  "How did you handle that."  Coach: "We helped them by not rotating correctly, and I was not happy with our ball screen defense.  We tried a little zone, changed our defense.  It helped us stay in the first half."  "At half time we made some changes on trapping, etc and it made a difference."  Coach has talked to the team about playing good half's, but we are not putting two half's together....Dayton, VCU, and GM examples.

Text:  How far behind the P5 is the A10.  "We aren't far behind for the future.  We are behind this year.  We did good OOC, but have struggle in conference.  GM and St.Bonnie just the opposite."  "Except for SLU, this is a young league.  Rammer:  In the whole league there are only 8 seniors in the top 7 rotations of all the teams."  Coach; "The Big East has figured a lot of things out, 10 teams balanced schedule, etc." "American is right there, but the bottom of the league isn't there." "Pac 12 isn't acting like a P5."

Text:  Rammer talked about Bell, but all Coach could say was "we had a good weekend".  Still looking to add a couple more pieces.  Three scholarships to fill.  Looking for size, shooting, etc.

Text:  DJ Foreman on Saturday.  Coach said "He was terrific.  Took a lot of charges, steals, blocks, affected shots, great defense, etc.  Coach didn't realize his game was so good until he saw the tape."  Pointed DJ's game out to the team today.  You can impact a game without scoring.  

Thatch, since mid January has played as well as anyone on our team.  He has days in practice when he doesn't miss a shot.  He hit a three in the game, and pointed at Coach. Coach wants him to drive more to balance his game.  Commented on his baseline drive that was strong.

Text:  Home and away with P5 opponents, starting a series.  "With the 20 game schedule, the P5 will play less H and H.  You play 20, an early tourney, Challenges, buy games, there are only one or two openings with each P5 team.  Everyone is holding off on scheduling.  Trying to figure out NET to see how it works. (I think he said Seton Hall is coming here.)

Ended up again on Senior Night.  This is a big game for both teams.  We are all playing for the top seeds.  Javon Bess; the type of player you want to represent your team.   They will be honoring Elliott Welmer.  Coach said "We don't know what his basketball future is going forward, so they want to include him just in case". 

TheDude, CBFan and Pistol like this

40 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Thank you. Interesting he didn’t talk much about Bell

To expand on reasoning.... until he signs, he is still a recruit and talking about him is a violation. NCAA doesn’t consider a verbal commitment to actually be a commitment. It doesn’t count until it’s in writing.