Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I sound like a broken record but we all need to remember that the coaches show is not for us. It's marketing to casual St. Louis sports fans.

Casual fans don't listen to a college sport coach's show on the radio.  If you are trying to use it to market to them, you are wasting your time.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Casual fans don't listen to a college sport coach's show on the radio.  If you are trying to use it to market to them, you are wasting your time.

I don't see why the two forms of questions are mutually exclusive. There's no reason people can't ask about both his favorite pep band song and something specific to X's and O's. Both could make for potentially good radio, although I'm not sure how head-on he'd actually answer the more strategy-focused questions.

(This is not to say I think the band song is a good question; when the band is playing, he's talking as loudly as he can to his players so they can hear him over the music. He probably shouldn't have strong opinions about their song list. Hell, they've been playing many of the same songs since I first started going to SLU games in the mid-90s and I don't know the song names.)

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Casual fans listen to sports radio. The point of the show is to provide entertainment to whoever is listening to that specific sports radio station at the time it's on.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't see why the two forms of questions are mutually exclusive. There's no reason people can't ask about both his favorite pep band song and something specific to X's and O's. Both could make for potentially good radio, although I'm not sure how head-on he'd actually answer the more strategy-focused questions.

(This is not to say I think the band song is a good question; when the band is playing, he's talking as loudly as he can to his players so they can hear him over the music. He probably shouldn't have strong opinions about their song list. Hell, they've been playing many of the same songs since I first started going to SLU games in the mid-90s and I don't know the song names.)

I remember catching a few of Spoon's radio shows w/ Carracker back in the day. He talked just about anything but Billiken hoops. A lot of Cardinal talk, some good old boy Arkansas front porch humor with a sprinkling of hoops talk. And Spoon was probably the most popular Billikens coach ever with the casual fan and general public. Should have called the down home w/ Charley Spoonhour.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Casual fans listen to sports radio. The point of the show is to provide entertainment to whoever is listening to that specific sports radio station at the time it's on.

They don't listen to call in shows while other games are on TV.  That is why, outside of KMOX (who can talk the Cardinals all the time to an audience across the midwest), sports stations don't schedule regular local shows in those time slots.  They either go with national feeds or broker the time.

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They don't listen to call in shows while other games are on TV.  That is why, outside of KMOX (who can talk the Cardinals all the time to an audience across the midwest), sports stations don't schedule regular local shows in those time slots.  They either go with national feeds or broker the time.

slightly OT, I wish SLU would do a talk show that we could watch online thru A10's website. 

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Brian has a point.  The under 40 casual fan wouldn't tune in to listen to a folksy old school coach today. That isn't the kind of personality that gets traction in 2019.  Different times.

well consider me the exception.

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

slightly OT, I wish SLU would do a talk show that we could watch online thru A10's website. 

Hell, they could do it through Periscope and Facebook Live.  You could do it from the locker room in Chaifetz and even have players take part once in a while.  That kind of stuff has a much greater reach than the current set up with 101 and potential greater influence with recruits.

3star_recruit likes this

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/tuesdays-with-travis-february-19-2019/

Scoops with Danny Mac:  New stuff only listed below that was not discussed on Sports on a Sunday Morning or Coach with Rammer

Coach is recruiting locally this week. He has later trips scheduled to Georgia, Florida, and Baltimore area. ( @Pistol fill us in on targets.)  HS seasons are coming to an end. Recruiting has changed, all about phone calls and personal contacts.  No more written letters like he used to do.  Tries to get to know the entire family, figuring out who around the player he trusts and will help him with his decision.....HS school, AAU coach, parents, grandparents, etc.  Recruits ask two key questions in recruiting, what is your system and how much competition will I have at my position-immediate playing time.  Big city v little city isn't large on the list for a decision.  

Danny Mac asked about having an ex-NBA player contact a recruit.  "It isn't allowed by NCAA."  But Coach says you use the history of players similar to the recruit that have had success in his program, such as Marcus Smart and Markel Brown.  Talks to recruits about how these players became better in his system.  Tell recruits what plays he ran for these guys, etc.

A10 standings and bye game possibility:  Coach talks about it but doesn't put much emphasis on it.  At today's 7 AM practice, he told the team we are 1 game out of third, in control of our won destiny.  He doesn't want to team to feel a loss puts them out of contention. 

billikens747 and Zink like this

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Isn't the term, casual fan, actually an oxymoron?  "Fan" is short for fanatic, which is basically an antonym for casual.

Another good point.  But people generally know what you mean by the term. MBMs are hardcore fans. Casual fans are people like my uncle, who will occasionally catch a Billiken highlight on the news. The only way you're getting more of his attention is if our success makes us the talk of the town.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Another good point.  But people generally know what you mean by the term. MBMs are hardcore fans. Casual fans are people like my uncle, who will occasionally catch a Billiken highlight on the news. The only way you're getting more of his attention is if our success makes us the talk of the town.

Yeah, I understand; I was just pointing out a trivial technicality.  Grammarians might have considered it mildly humorous.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach is recruiting locally this week. He has later trips scheduled to Georgia, Florida, and Baltimore area. ( @Pistol fill us in on targets.)  HS seasons are coming to an end. Recruiting has changed, all about phone calls and personal contacts.  No more written letters like he used to do.  Tries to get to know the entire family, figuring out who around the player he trusts and will help him with his decision.....HS school, AAU coach, parents, grandparents, etc.  Recruits ask two key questions in recruiting, what is your system and how much competition will I have at my position-immediate playing time.  Big city v little city isn't large on the list for a decision.  

Best guess: Probably mostly new names that I don't have yet, especially for 2019. From existing lists:

2019: Oton Jankovic (Montverde Academy, FL)

2020: Quincy Ademokoya (Dacula HS, GA)

2021: Wesley Cardet (Northeast HS, Oakland Park, FL), A.J. Neal (West Oaks Academy, FL)

So given the few names there, he's probably seeing players that would be new to us. There are also some offers/interests in adjoining states, so maybe he'll see some of them.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/tuesdays-with-travis-february-19-2019/

Scoops with Danny Mac:  New stuff only listed below that was not discussed on Sports on a Sunday Morning or Coach with Rammer

Danny Mac asked about having an ex-NBA player contact a recruit.  "It isn't allowed by NCAA."  But Coach says you use the history of players similar to the recruit that have had success in his program, such as Marcus Smart and Markel Brown.  Talks to recruits about how these players became better in his system.  Tell recruits what plays he ran for these guys, etc.

A10 standings and bye game possibility:  Coach talks about it but doesn't put much emphasis on it.  At today's 7 AM practice, he told the team we are 1 game out of third, in control of our won destiny.  He doesn't want to team to feel a loss puts them out of contention. 

-HP thanks for your summaries on this stuff, I heard the show last night and your recap was on point

-as to this -  what is your system -- what is CFord's answer? 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Back to this topic again... lol

Bleacher report quoted Travis Ford in an article on Marcus Smart. Some nice national pub, albeit limited. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821566-so-you-think-you-know-marcus-smart?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

"There's never a player that can play like that for 82 games, that's built for that mentally and physically as Marcus Smart," says Travis Ford, his former Oklahoma State coach, who now coaches St. Louis University.

While playing for Oklahoma State, he was labeled a loose cannon. Uncontrollable. Especially after one Texas Tech game, when he fell into the stands in the final seconds of a loss and shoved a fan who was taunting him.

Few outside his team or his inner circle knew what he was dealing with at the time. His mom had been in the hospital. Ford says he was dealing with a lot that week. "It was a split-second reaction of a lot of different things," Ford says. "Was he wrong for doing it? Yes. But there was a lot more behind it than just that. … I knew what he was going through."

Littlebill likes this

Pretty interesting discussion by Coach Ford on the Bernie Show talking about Marcus Smart coming back to OSU his soph year.  This was related to Zion's issue.  Coach is also for the proposed change to 18 year olds for NBA eligibility.  All in the 9 am hour near the end of the show.

https://www.101espn.com/show_notes/the-bernie-miklasz-show-february-22-2019-blues-win-streak-ends-at-11/

Mike Claiborne first had HOF Earl Austin on KMOX Sports on a Sunday.  Earl was on the road driving to Richmond with Rammer.   Earl spoke highly of Anthony Bonner coming in for practice.  "He shows you how to do it, rather than telling you how to do it".  Earl was very complementary of how much Bonner's presence at practice has meant to the team.

Coach Ford was on later. They started talking about Bonner again. +++.  

Jacobs and Hankton "just aren't ready to go".  [ Yesterday Rammer said Hankton had separated his shoulder against Rhode Island.] Coach said yesterday "fatigue, for the first time this season, was a major, major issue".  He liked the effort yesterday.  "We didn't lose the game, Dayton won the game."  Went from up 19-9 to down 22-21 at half.  Had to play zone to rest as much as possible.  

Complemented Thatch saying "he might be our best shooter.  He makes them all in practice."

VCU has won 8 straight by 17 or more.  They can compete with us physically.  It will be a sell out as always.  {Coach didn't say this, but he referred to the six being pressed by VCU, alluding-to me- that Wiley might not be ready.  That is my assumption.} 

Funny ending, Mike said for Coach to ask Rammer the time when they had to have the announcers suit up for a practice on the road.  Coach laughed, saying he'd put Earl in the post.  Clairborne said "He won't pass it".    

VeniceMenace and AGB91 like this