Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

Coach "SLU hadn't spent a lot of time recruiting locally for a decade or so.  So being in the gym has been huge.  Corey Tate got out and established relationships.  Got guys attention by being in the gyms."  Coach likes being able to go to 2 or 3 games at night, right here at home.  This is his 5th job and first time he has had that situation."

I've always wondered about this angle and think it's an incredibly underrated part of the job at SLU. Some of these P5 schools may have bigger programs but they're located in podunk towns where you have to travel 100+ miles for anything.  The fact that Ford can watch and recruit a dozen or so top 250 players within a 30 minute drive, year in and year out, is obviously appealing to him. It would be for me!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last night and today Coach said Perkins plays all 5 positions for SWIIC.

The fact that a 6'7 200 lb player can be play the role of a big tells you a lot about the conference you're in.  That's what I was alluding to in my "The Elusive Power Forward" post.  You can get away with playing a small forward at the 4 for extended minutes in the A-10, provided that player is a good rebounder.  You're going to give up some paint scoring but the number of productive post players in our conference are far and few between. 

Hankton, from what we've seen, isn't a good rebounder.  I can see the logic of moving Perkins to the 4 when Hankton is in the game.  Coach is showing his hand here with his multiple references to "versatility."  He plans to move Perkins and Hargrove between the 3/4 as needed just like he does with Bess this year. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thanks HP. Always enjoy your recaps. Good to hear he's got a list of bigs. Probably matches Pistols. 

I'm guessing he knows some things that I don't - i.e. his list is longer and more up-to-date. Wish I could take a peek.

47 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Coach "SLU hadn't spent a lot of time recruiting locally for a decade or so.  So being in the gym has been huge.  Corey Tate got out and established relationships.  Got guys attention by being in the gyms."  Coach likes being able to go to 2 or 3 games at night, right here at home.  This is his 5th job and first time he has had that situation."

I've always wondered about this angle and think it's an incredibly underrated part of the job at SLU. Some of these P5 schools may have bigger programs but they're located in podunk towns where you have to travel 100+ miles for anything.  The fact that Ford can watch and recruit a dozen or so top 250 players within a 30 minute drive, year in and year out, is obviously appealing to him. It would be for me!

Good to hear and it's about time that a Billiken coach is doing it, because SLU is a sleeping giant.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

These guys seriously work for their paychecks. It’s nice to see all the work they do out of the spotlight 

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

This is another thing we have in common with the Big East schools--except for Creighton.  I think McDermott has to travel a lot farther than just Omaha and Lincoln to find the collection of talent the size of St. Louis.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Last night and today Coach said Perkins plays all 5 positions for SWIIC.

1. Coach 314, who knows Perkins we’ll, disputes that statement...at least for the D1 level.

2. “SLU hadn't spent a lot of time recruiting locally for a decade or so

Understatement....Gratifying to see Ford & Co snagging great local talent, finally upping SLUs credibility in the local basketball community and among local fans.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

1. Coach 314, who knows Perkins we’ll, disputes that statement...at least for the D1 level.

2. “SLU hadn't spent a lot of time recruiting locally for a decade or so

Understatement....Gratifying to see Ford & Co snagging great local talent, finally upping SLUs credibility in the local basketball community and among local fans.

Just reporting what Coach Ford said.  Coach was reporting on this year at SWIIC and didn't comment at all about next year.  

VeniceMenace likes this

22 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that a 6'7 200 lb player can be play the role of a big tells you a lot about the conference you're in.  That's what I was alluding to in my "The Elusive Power Forward" post.  You can get away with playing a small forward at the 4 for extended minutes in the A-10, provided that player is a good rebounder.  You're going to give up some paint scoring but the number of productive post players in our conference are far and few between. 

Hankton, from what we've seen, isn't a good rebounder.  I can see the logic of moving Perkins to the 4 when Hankton is in the game.  Coach is showing his hand here with his multiple references to "versatility."  He plans to move Perkins and Hargrove between the 3/4 as needed just like he does with Bess this year. 

Didn't Villanova just win 2 national championships in the last 3 years playing 4 players that would traditionally have been called "gaurds" for long stretches of time?  Hasn't Golden State dominated the NBA with "small ball" lineups in recent years?

I'm not saying that you are always better going with a small lineup, but I think there is more to it than just being able to get away with it in a "lesser" conference.  

33 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Didn't Villanova just win 2 national championships in the last 3 years playing 4 players that would traditionally have been called "gaurds" for long stretches of time?  Hasn't Golden State dominated the NBA with "small ball" lineups in recent years?

I'm not saying that you are always better going with a small lineup, but I think there is more to it than just being able to get away with it in a "lesser" conference.  

That rosterlast season for Villanova listed six guys at 6-7 or taller...we need that kind of height and depth to compete against top teams....not just the A10.

46 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Villanova's small forwards that typically played the 4 were built like tight ends.  Kris Jenkins was 6'6 240 lb in the first championship season and Eric Paschall was 6'7 250 lb in the second.  But yes, they did play four guards at other times, including the championship game.  It's really hard to find 3-4 guys who can shoot like those Villanova teams and also defend.  We're still trying to find two guys who can do that.

SLU_Nick likes this

58 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

They won with 4 guards when 3 of them were first round draft picks.  And Miles Bridges was a freak that did everything well.  

To defend and rebound effectively, we generally need bulk.  I am okay to roll with 6'7 players that play like French, but if we think we can get by with ignoring the big strongmen and play 6'7 players like Jalen Johnson at the 4 and still win games, then I think we are fooling ourselves.    

So happy that we have 2 more years left of French.  He is such an enforcer in the paint.  

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Villanova's small forwards that typically played the 4 were built like tight ends.  Kris Jenkins was 6'6 240 lb in the first championship season and Eric Paschall was 6'7 250 lb in the second.  But yes, they did play four guards at other times, including the championship game.  It's really hard to find 3-4 guys who can shoot like those Villanova teams and also defend.  We're still trying to find two guys who can do that.

I'm not saying we have Villanova's talent.  I'm just thinking that it is better to recruit the best possible players regardless of size and play the best possible players regardless of size than the alternative of thinking you need to recruit / play guys who are 6-8+ in order to be a good team.  I feel like Crews was out there trying to recruit players who had the size and it worked out terribly for him (Jolly, Nuefeld, Gillmann).

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not saying we have Villanova's talent.  I'm just thinking that it is better to recruit the best possible players regardless of size and play the best possible players regardless of size than the alternative of thinking you need to recruit / play guys who are 6-8+ in order to be a good team.  I feel like Crews was out there trying to recruit players who had the size and it worked out terribly for him (Jolly, Nuefeld, Gillmann).

I agree with you that too much emphasis is placed on bigs, being well, big.  What you need are players who are big enough.  Three 6'2 guys playing positions 2-4?  No.  Three 6'4-6'5 athletic guys who shoot well from the perimeter and defend, including one that has some beef?  Yes.   

Still hard to find that many guys, though.  And I'm not talking Villanova talent either.  I'm taking 3 star talent.  We can occasionally get a Davell Roby.  We just haven't been able to sign three of them in back to back classes.

Coach tonight on 550:  On the Naismith Watch List for Defensive Player of the Year.  "For Bess not to be on it, the list isn't valid".  Coach said he had a tweet ready after he saw the list, but didn't send it and "it is a good thing I didn't hit send".  He looked up who was on the committee and suggests that the committee needs to watch more games.  Javon hasn't mentioned the list.

Everything else was repeated from earlier interviews.   

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach tonight on 550:  On the Naismith Watch List for Defensive Player of the Year.  "For Bess not to be on it, the list isn't valid".  Coach said he had a tweet ready after he saw the list, but didn't send it and "it is a good thing I didn't hit send".  He looked up who was on the committee and suggests that the committee needs to watch more games.  Javon hasn't mentioned the list.

Everything else was repeated from earlier interviews.   

I wouldn’t want t be the first person guarded by Bess after this snub.

They are going get angry Bess and it’s not going to be good for them.

Coach on KMOX Sports on a Sunday Morning:  He isn't looking at the two final FT as the difference, lot's of other opportunities earlier.  We let Davidson play to their strength of three point shooting.  Coach said they won the game with their defense.  He did talk to Goodwin after the game, telling him those two shots weren't the difference.  He called Jordan again after he got home last night.  Told Goodwin he put his team in a place to win the game.

After Wiley's three, Coach told the team Davidson was going to Gudmundsson.  They ran a guy up for a pick but he slipped out of the play. Jordan was guarding this second player and then "slipped into the ball".  Coach said yes it was a foul.

KC still getting over his ankle injury, limiting his time on the floor.  Jacobs not ready with his ankle.  "You play the hand that is dealt to you."  Taking today off. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on KMOX Sports on a Sunday Morning:  He isn't looking at the two final FT as the difference, lot's of other opportunities earlier.  We let Davidson play to their strength of three point shooting.  Coach said they won the game with their defense.  He did talk to Goodwin after the game, telling him those two shots weren't the difference.  He called Jordan again after he got home last night.  Told Goodwin he put his team in a place to win the game.

After Wiley's three, Coach told the team Davidson was going to Gudmundsson.  They ran a guy up for a pick but he slipped out of the play. Jordan was guarding this second player and then "slipped into the ball".  Coach said yes it was a foul.

KC still getting over his ankle injury, limiting his time on the floor.  Jacobs not ready with his ankle.  "You play the hand that is dealt to you."  Taking today off. 

Coach spot on with his comments. Jordan did put them in a position to win. Jordans guy did slip out of the pick. 

It was a tough loss but they are only one game back.

3 hours ago, slusam said:

Coach spot on with his comments. Jordan did put them in a position to win. Jordans guy did slip out of the pick. 

It was a tough loss but they are only one game back.

exactly  goodwin was where he needed to be to give us a chance.   no one other than the guy who fouled him was anywhere close.   i am betting the experience is such that down the road, goodwin wins the game for us.    no way that loss is on him.