Coach on the Radio - Tuesday with Travis + Other Radio

HoosierPal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tuesday with Travis was on today.  Coach liked the effort against Houston. He said they were the most physical team they have played to date.  It took a few minutes to adjust to the physical nature of Houston, but they figured it out.  On the loss, Coach said "It's the offense, we had too many empty possessions."  Danny Mac "how do you get over the hump?"  Coach, "we have to get the offense better. Our defense is fine."

What are the trend lines going up?  Coach -"definitely our defense.  Tremaine is coming along. He was locked in at Houston."

On NCC 'They have good athletes.  They will press us all game (uh oh) and change presses often.  We have to take care of the ball." "They have a 6'8" center that could play anywhere in America."

"This game is scarier (his word) than Houston or Florida State.  Houston was a very emotional game and the team was drained both physically and mentally.  Finals ended today (Tuesday) so prep has been minimal.  We have to focus.  NCC plays a tough schedule.  They are used to playing teams like us. 

On injuries, both Dion and Ingvi likely won't play until perhaps the weekend. The team will disperse from Miami after the game on the 22nd and come back to STL for a 6 pm practice on the 26th.

And the most important question from Danny Mac, "Do you do any Christmas shopping or do you let your wife do the shopping?"  Coach "Oh my, I don't do much and if I do it is last minute. I'm lucky that she takes care of it." 

Thank you HP

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Disagree. I think it’s our first true blowout win. After playing pretty good/ very good teams our last four games, tonight should seem like a cake walk. 

Hope they don't think it's gonna be easy and come out loaded for Bear. Put them away early and clear the bench. 

I think we'll win this one by a good margin, but there will be stretches that will be borderline unwatchable.

I'm setting the combined turnovers over/under at 30, and I'd probably take the over.

43 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

For some reason, I am expecting a 3 point game with 6 mins left tonight.  

better not happen😒

Coach on KMOX this morn.  Nothing very new.  Obviously he had high praise for FSU, said they are a Top 5 team. He was happy with the way Bess and Gordon played. He said FSU had to take their 7 footer out as he couldn't handle Gordon.  He also said Gordon was pretty pumped up playing against the tall trees.

Big Pic, no surprise, have to work on the offense.  Coach said he was NOT pleased with the defense the past two game.  He thought fatigue likely played a significant factor, too many games, too much traveling and finals.  The only game he has been pleased with both O and D was Butler.

During the break, they will work on offense.  'Have to get better shots, have to get better ball movement, too much dribbling, the ball is getting stuck'...all stuff we have all seen.

One interesting note, Coach Pitino never game his Kentucky team Christmas off.  They stayed on campus and practiced on Christmas day.

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach on KMOX this morn.  Nothing very new.  Obviously he had high praise for FSU, said they are a Top 5 team. He was happy with the way Bess and Gordon played. He said FSU had to take their 7 footer out as he couldn't handle Gordon.  He also said Gordon was pretty pumped up playing against the tall trees.

Big Pic, no surprise, have to work on the offense.  Coach said he was NOT pleased with the defense the past two game.  He thought fatigue likely played a significant factor, too many games, too much traveling and finals.  The only game he has been pleased with both O and D was Butler.

During the break, they will work on offense.  'Have to get better shots, have to get better ball movement, too much dribbling, the ball is getting stuck'...all stuff we have all seen.

One interesting note, Coach Pitino never game his Kentucky team Christmas off.  They stayed on campus and practiced on Christmas day.

Highmark said they practiced on Christmas all four years he was at SLU

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was Tuesday with Travis.  Not much new information.  Coach did discuss Gordon leaving for about 30 seconds.  Nothing new reported.

Two interesting items: Danny Mac asked about Javon Bess' pro potential.  Ford said that before this season, he wasn't getting much attention from the NBA. But as you would guess that has picked up.  When asked, Ford said Bess might work his way into a second round NBA pick but more likely would be invited to several camps.  Bess will have to show that he can play off of other "stars", make shots consistently, and 'do the dirty work'.

Interesting on KC, due to four consistent practices right after Christmas, Coach told him he would get increased playing time v Appalachian State. (This was before any hint of Gordon leaving.)  In those practices, he was making shots, he was doing the right things, and his team was winning.  Coach said that all players need to understand that they have to stand out in practice if they want to get into games.  "There can be older and better players on the team ahead of you.  You can be a good player, but I can't play everyone."  KC picked that up and was rewarded.  But then with Gordon leaving, his status became even more vital.

Zink and CBFan like this

On this morning's Tuesdays with Travis, Danny Mac opened up asking Coach for a scouting report on Fordham.  Coach's first response was about how difficult it is to play in their gym. They beat Rutgers this season at Rose Hill.  They are a three guard offense, with the three guards taking about 75% of the team's shots. And 45% of the teams shots are three pointers.  So guarding the arc is critical. They change defenses often and he expects to see 4 different looks tonight.

"Walking into Rose Hill is like walking into a HS gym." Coach told the team about the history of Rose Hill and Coach said the team really didn't care about it. 

LaSalle win - "We didn't play particularly well.  Sloppy."  "Did play tough and hard.  Didn't do well with the X and O's but playing hard won the game." 

Danny Mac - any emphasis on fast breaks and finishing in LaSalle game?  Coach, "No, that isn't a strength of our team so we don't focus on it."  "We do focus on trying to get turnovers and converting." 

Coach "Our offense isn't good enough to give us big leads.  But it is good that we can finish tight games.  Hopefully we can start playing better so we won't have nail biters."

Danny Mac "How do you keep Bess fresh."  Coach "It is about him eating right. Bess doesn't eat a lot so we have to get him to eat the right things, eat healthy."  "In 23 years of coaching I've never had a stretch like we are going through, 5 games with 2 days in between. It's like an NBA schedule.  After each game we have a mental day the next practice.  We don't really do anything the day after the game.  We talk about the game plan but we don't do anything physical."  Yesterday they did go hard for 90 minutes at Rose Hill.  "We don't do well when we don't have a hard practice in between games."

French "Went from not knowing if he was going to play to a career high against UMass."  "First semester wasn't French's best.  We challenged him in Conference play."

What did you do in NY with the team?  "The hotel and film room!"  "During the week trip earlier this season they did see the sites, but not this time."  Team slept in first night.  Practiced at Iona and then went to Red Lobster for dinner.  

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Lasalles gym is a high school gym, Rose Hill was really cool went I went two years ago.   Loved that place. 

Agreed, I've been to Rose Hill a couple of times and it is pretty cool. Has a historic vibe. When my brother lived in NYC I could count on a free place to crash. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

On this morning's Tuesdays with Travis, Danny Mac opened up asking Coach for a scouting report on Fordham.  Coach's first response was about how difficult it is to play in their gym. They beat Rutgers this season at Rose Hill.  They are a three guard offense, with the three guards taking about 75% of the team's shots. And 45% of the teams shots are three pointers.  So guarding the arc is critical. They change defenses often and he expects to see 4 different looks tonight.

"Walking into Rose Hill is like walking into a HS gym." Coach told the team about the history of Rose Hill and Coach said the team really didn't care about it. 

LaSalle win - "We didn't play particularly well.  Sloppy."  "Did play tough and hard.  Didn't do well with the X and O's but playing hard won the game." 

Danny Mac - any emphasis on fast breaks and finishing in LaSalle game?  Coach, "No, that isn't a strength of our team so we don't focus on it."  "We do focus on trying to get turnovers and converting.

Coach "Our offense isn't good enough to give us big leads.  But it is good that we can finish tight games.  Hopefully we can start playing better so we won't have nail biters."

Danny Mac "How do you keep Bess fresh."  Coach "It is about him eating right. Bess doesn't eat a lot so we have to get him to eat the right things, eat healthy."  "In 23 years of coaching I've never had a stretch like we are going through, 5 games with 2 days in between. It's like an NBA schedule.  After each game we have a mental day the next practice.  We don't really do anything the day after the game.  We talk about the game plan but we don't do anything physical."  Yesterday they did go hard for 90 minutes at Rose Hill.  "We don't do well when we don't have a hard practice in between games."

French "Went from not knowing if he was going to play to a career high."  "First semester wasn't French's best.  We challenged him in Conference play."

What did you do in NY with the team?  "The hotel and film room!"  "During the week trip earlier this season they did see the sites, but not this time."  Team slept in first night.  Practiced at Iona and then went to Red Lobster for dinner.  

I like this. It might not be quite what I was pushing for in the other thread, but I think throwing some different looks at Fordham is going to rattle them. We've guarded the perimeter extremely well this season, holding opponents to a worse percentage than we've shot, which is hard to even comprehend. Anyway, I was talking about throwing more pressure at them and trying to bully their smaller guards into turnovers, but I do suppose that could leave us vulnerable to some open looks and we can't let them get hot.

Saw some Instagram posts from Rose Hill and the Iona gym. Hopefully they're all feeling fresh and not too tired.

Red Lobster! I guess they couldn't get a reservation at Momofuku.

I'm hoping for another huge game out of French, who should have some friends and family present. He just got a fresh haircut, too. Time to shine, Has.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Danny Mac - any emphasis on fast breaks and finishing in LaSalle game?  Coach, "No, that isn't a strength of our team so we don't focus on it."  "We do focus on trying to get turnovers and converting." 

I'm confused by this.  We're not good at fast breaks and finishing so we're not going to work/focus on it, but yet we're going to focus on turnovers and converting? Am i missing something?

Just now, moytoy12 said:

I'm confused by this.  We're not good at fast breaks and finishing so we're not going to work/focus on it, but yet we're going to focus on turnovers and converting? Am i missing something?

Wooden said that he never had his team practice what they were not good at but he did have them practice what they were good at.  His point was that if we are not good at something then practicing might make us a little better but in the heat of the game players will naturally revert to what they feel comfortable doing so why not be the best you can be at what you are good at.  Makes sense to me - the off season is for working on weaknesses.

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Wooden said that he never had his team practice what they were not good at but he did have them practice what they were good at.  His point was that if we are not good at something then practicing might make us a little better but in the heat of the game players will naturally revert to what they feel comfortable doing so why not be the best you can be at what you are good at.  Makes sense to me - the off season is for working on weaknesses.

But if you're going to work on creating turnovers and converting, why wouldn't you work on fast breaks and finishing?  Seems the two are somewhat related.