More 3's

drkelsey55

Gordon needs to shoot more 3's. He is hitting 50%, I know small sample. He is left alone at the three point line. That is just

helping the other teams defense.  Give him the green light to open up the their defense. I know he could miss.

So what, the rest of the team are good rebounders. He has good form. 

JMHO

TaLBErt likes this

Bump.

What no one else has an opinion about this? He is shooting 50% from the three point line. If they contue to drop off of him out there. he should set himself an shoot!!! How many 50% shooters do we have????

TaLBErt likes this

1 minute ago, drkelsey55 said:

Bump.

What no one else has an opinion about this? He is shooting 50% from the three point line. If they contue to drop off of him out there. he should set himself an shoot!!! How many 50% shooters do we have????

He should go for it. F it. Can't hurt this offense. 

Now  I am a troll!! Wow, and you wonder why othrs do no post their opinion.

Just watch a video of this game and tell me how open Carter is at the 3 point line. No one guardd him there.

TaLBErt likes this

3 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

Bump.

I don't want him bombing away from there, but I think when he his left alone I there he needs to put it up.  There was a time earlier in the second half, before his made three, when he was left alone on the wing just beyond the line that I thought he should have put one up.  He should put them up in that situation.  If he keeps making them at a decent clip it will force defenses to pull a man out to cover him in that situation and in turn should open up the lane.

TaLBErt likes this

6 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

Now  I am a troll!! Wow, and you wonder why othrs do no post their opinion.

Just watch a video of this game and tell me how open Carter is at the 3 point line. No one guardd him there.

I agree with you on this. Opposing teams pack the paint on us because they know we can't shoot the ball very well. Gordon hitting threes will help space the floor. In the NBA the Bucks are doing this with Brook Lopez. Seems to be working alright.

my opinion on gordon thus far is mixed.   he has exhibited moments where i think, "GD he is the next bonner".   then he disappears or worse yet loses his cool and is benched.   he definitely hasnt played hard consistently yet.   dont get me wrong, i love that gordon is a billiken, but he is definitely still a freshman and those that in the offseason were worried about him being a one and done can definitely relax.   he has some growing up to do yet.   

that said, he is the closest thing i have seen to "the next bonner" in almost 30 years.   

oh yeah to answer the questions, yes he is 2-4 on 3's for the year.   if he shoots 10 this entire year that is enough.   i'd prefer he is in the lane rebounding and slamming back missed shots then drifting away from the basket 20 feet. 

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't want him bombing away from there, but I think when he his left alone I there he needs to put it up.  There was a time earlier in the second half, before his made three, when he was left alone on the wing just beyond the line that I thought he should have put one up.  He should put them up in that situation.  If he keeps making them at a decent clip it will force defenses to pull a man out to cover him in that situation and in turn should open up the lane.

This is my point. 

I know Gordon looks like a grown man but he's only 18 years old. And he rarely shot the 3 during his high school career. To suddenly expect an 18 year old to shoot threes in game situations without hesitation when he isn't even doing that in practice, is an unreasonable expectation.

I have no doubt that Ford will give Gordon the opportunity to add that aspect to his game. I just don't think it will be 10 games into his freshman season. 

If no one guards him there, it won't take any more time than he is hesitating now to pass. Set himslf, sguare up and drain one just like he did against Houston. I would be happy with one attempt per game.

Zink likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

my opinion on gordon thus far is mixed.   he has exhibited moments where i think, "GD he is the next bonner".   then he disappears or worse yet loses his cool and is benched.   he definitely hasnt played hard consistently yet.   dont get me wrong, i love that gordon is a billiken, but he is definitely still a freshman and those that in the offseason were worried about him being a one and done can definitely relax.   he has some growing up to do yet.   

that said, he is the closest thing i have seen to "the next bonner" in almost 30 years.  

One metric that I scratch my head on is Gordon's rebounding.  In 10 games he has 37 rebounds, or 3.7 per game.  That puts him sixth on the team in rebounding.  I would have penciled him in for twice that before the season starts.  I don't know if his assignment is initially to block out a big and let Bess/French/Goodwin get the board, or if he just isn't in the right position.

His lack of conditioning is also well documented.  That won't change this season.  It is a huge item to work on in the summer.

But yes, I'll take him and want him on the floor as many minutes as he can handle.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't think Pick and Pop is in Ford's offense.  I don't remember seeing any since Welmer's year.  We don't even do a pick and roll very well. 

You got that right.   It is a pet peeve of mine that a dribbler isnt aware ( or is the word smart) enough to drive off the hip of screener instead they circle around with enough room for the miami dolphins offensive line to go through the screen.   

The real success of a screen is more on the dribbler than the screener.   The screener just stands there.   The dribbler more or less guides the defender to that standing screener.

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Who have we had since Welmer that would have us actually do a pick and pop? I'd personally like to see Hasahn French really step up and take a confident 22 footer.

That's wasn't my point. My point was that if we have a big that can hit the shot it wouldn't be hard to call the play. It's not a difficult play to understand.

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He needs to shoot one every once in awhile just so the opposing team knows he will.

This.  They leave Gordon wide open just outside the line, he should shoot it.  There are times that there isn't a defender within 8 feet of him out there on the wing.  

Gordon has a pretty good looking shot. I think he needs to keep developing this. Take one a game at the top of the key, just to keep defenses honest. We really could use a stretch big to help with better spacing and to open driving lanes. Even Jalen Johnson would get some minutes at the 4 and give us a different look. 

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Gordon has a pretty good looking shot. I think he needs to keep developing this. Take one a game at the top of the key, just to keep defenses honest. We really could use a stretch big to help with better spacing and to open driving lanes. Even Jalen Johnson would get some minutes at the 4 and give us a different look. 

That would be sweet having Johnson on a Pick and Pop. 

How many successful pick and rolls have we had this year with a big getting a layup or short jumper?