Hou over the Bills by 7

The Wiz

12 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Interesting factoid I found on the UH message board (via wikipedia😞

In its heyday, the Billiken enjoyed worldwide celebrity. In America he became the athletic mascot of Saint Louis University, because the figure was said to resemble coach John R. Bender. The school’s athletic teams remain the Billikens to this day. A bronze statue of the Billiken stands in front of the Chaifetz Arena on the Saint Louis University Campus.

That same John R. Bender became Houston’s first football coach. He’s the reason the Cougars are called the “Cougars.”

On another note, the UH fans are very respectful in their comments about the Billikens and the upcoming game. 

You know, makes it really hard to hate opponents when they are respectful and make reasonable claims backed up with facts, forget those guys. 

Littlebill likes this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

In its heyday, the Billiken enjoyed worldwide celebrity. In America he became the athletic mascot of Saint Louis University, because the figure was said to resemble coach John R. Bender. The school’s athletic teams remain the Billikens to this day. A bronze statue of the Billiken stands in front of the Chaifetz Arena on the Saint Louis University Campus.

That same John R. Bender became Houston’s first football coach. He’s the reason the Cougars are called the “Cougars.”

On another note, the UH fans are very respectful in their comments about the Billikens and the upcoming game. 

It's good to know we're not the only nervous nellie fan base:

https://www.coogfans.com/t/have-a-bad-feeling-about-st-louis/15961

19 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

....because his hot wife would attend every game?

moytoy12 likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

....because his hot wife would attend every game?

Per Wikipedia:

"The origin of Shasta dates back to 1927 when John R. Bender, a former head football coach of the Washington State Cougars came to Houston. Because of his fondness for the animal, Bender decided it would be the name of his new teams. Later that year, the school newspaper actively used the name, and other student organizations followed."

Houston we have a problem. 

Billikens by 8.  We shut down Brooks from outside and make it ugly in the paint.  SLU wins this one even without the most inspiring pregame pep talk ever conceived.

CAG and French go off.  Thatch helps by loosening up the inside with a few early 3s 

BlueAndWhite likes this

I'd love to see our Billikens arrive at the Fertitta Center, watch some classic highlights of Phi Slamma Jamma, and get inspired to rock the rim with authority Sunday (Hakeem and Clyde were the best).  There are a lot of similarities with these two 2018 squads.  Free throws will determine whether we pull off a signature road win off.

I watched most of that LSU game and LSU didnt play very good team defense like we do.  Houston also got about 20 offensive rebounds (it seemed) which were just backbreakers for LSU.  

I think if we defend and rebound we win.  I don't see Houston putting up more than 60 points.  I just hope we can get to 60.

I'm really excited for this game. There arena looks awesome. It seems like a Pit type building that holds in the noise. The upside is that it's Winter Break for them and an Sunday afternoon. Apparently the fans over on the HotOldLadyBasketball message board are concerned about tickets sold so far. They think it'll only be a couple k.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/12/14/picks-schedule-villanova-kansas-gonzaga-unc

Saint Louis at No. 24 Houston

Sunday, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Houston is one of nine remaining unbeaten teams in the country, and will put its unblemished record on the line against a Saint Louis team that has already had a few ups and downs just six weeks into the season. The Billikens have lost games to Pittsburgh and Southern Illinois, but also own wins over Seton Hall and Butler. Maybe they should put in for a transfer to the Big East? The problem for them, especially against a team like Houston, is that they are all defense and no offense, and that’s not a great formula for beating any good team, much less one that is comfortable playing at a slow tempo like the Cougars. The Billikens also could be without Tramaine Isabell, who missed their last game with a leg injury. The Cougars should take care of business in this one, but it’s a good game to keep an eye on just in case things start to go sideways.

Houston 68, Saint Louis 58

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm really excited for this game. There arena looks awesome. It seems like a Pit type building that holds in the noise. The upside is that it's Winter Break for them and an Sunday afternoon. Apparently the fans over on the HotOldLadyBasketball message board are concerned about tickets sold so far. They think it'll only be a couple k.

Looks like they reduced the seating capacity by more than 3,000 when they renovated their arena.

Edit: Apparently they removed a few thousand seats from the original capacity back in 1998 and removed some more as part of the latest renovation.

Bill's by 3. 

Wiz. With all due respect,  I think you computer is off.  You see we beat Buttler by 12.  They lost today to 25th ranked Indiana.  We are playing 24th ranked Houston.  So I deduct one point for the ranking difference, to make it 11. Deduct 4 for home court advantage, making it 7, and the 4 points it would have taken for Butler to beat Indiana and I have SLU by 3.  We got this.

BILLS BY 3, CUZ I CAN MATH.

slufanskip likes this

5 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I would not count on Wiley for the rest of the year

I do not think a thigh bruise will keep him out the rest of the season however he seems to be fragile and there is probably another injury around the corner.

Wiley was limping badely walking to the bench during the Oregon State game so I hope he will be back in January.

Welmer had one full season and that was it and a foot that will not heal.