Hou over the Bills by 7

The Wiz

Well, now the fun starts. In the next 9 days we will play 2 highly ranked teams....Hou  (A-) and Fl St (A). Even though Hou has a slightly lower grade (weak schedule...D- ) the games will be equally difficult because Hou is playing at home and FSU is at a neutral site. Also there is no variable spread ...7 is it....the computer is fairly sure of itself.   Ah.... but there is always a way to mess with the computer. So let's try this....Butler is very close to Hou in ranking......both teams come in at A...so I enter the data as a 3 team analysis with Butler as a common foe. After we adjust for for the Home advantage that  Hou will have( that Butler didn't) and  adjust for the grade difference between  Hou and Butler.....Hou picks up 5 more pts....7+5 =12pts...Then we look at the spread of the Butler game and see we won by 12.....in others words because the teams (Hou and Butler) are similar in ranking...we can use substitute Hou for Butler and the game shows even....provided we play Hou like we did Butler. The computer would rather not do it this way but I am in charge....It does show that a win is not a far fetched possibility. We wouldn't have to do something we haven't done before.

OK ...now back to reality...let's look at the report card.

.................................SLU..............................HOU.............................................SLU.............................HOU

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................F...................................C+.................................................A.................................A+... 15th ITN

FG%..........................D...................................C.................................................A..................................A

3P%..........................D+................................C..................................................A+....12th ITN............A+...9th ITN

FT%...........................F-....2nd worst ITN......C+.........................................................................................

Reb............................A-...................................A.................................................B-.................................B

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Bess ..97th

Blks....Gordon...76th

...........Gresham...49th

Assts......Robinson....24th

FG%.......Brady....12th....70.5%

FT%..........Davis....39th ...92%

And now we see why Hou is where they are...a strong defense.  I have frequently lamented....I wonder what kind of team the Bills would be if we just had an average offense....we would be Hou....Look at Hou Off grades....they have a very average offense...coupled with a Bills type defense and you have a Top 25 team and an undefeated season.

WWN2D2W.....Play our usual D and a little better O....Bills slash 47/35/70.....Brooks is their guy....hold him to 12...Don't foul Davis...it will be automatic pts if we do....we have to have the lead in the final minutes...if we don't they give the ball to Davis to close the game out....Brady comes off the bench to  score if he is left alone.....Protect the ball ....no more than 12 TOs....and TO diff even.  Injury report the same as the one listed a few days ago in The Wiz review of the A-10 thread.

Bottom line...this will be a very low scoring game ...in the neighborhood of 120 pts.. a defensive struggle....a back and forth game where both teams have trouble scoring. The computer gives the edge to Hou because it thinks that Hou has the better offense. But Hou has not seen a defense as good as ours....If we can make the easy shots...fast breaks and bunnies and avoid mistakes ...careless TOs ...we can win this game.  We did it against Butler ...we can do it again.

Spoon-Balls and rgbilliken like this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston’s opponents defense according to KenPom:

Alabama AM: 332

Rice: 313

N’western St: 318

BYU: 84

UT Rio Grand Valley: 139

Oregon: 37

Lamar: 229

OK ST: 53

LSU: 106

OVERALL: 267

Billikens: 15

They have only played two decent defenses. They scored 65 on Oregon and 63 on OKST for an average of 64 while giving up 57.

against good offense teams in Butler, Hall, and OState we averaged scoring 65 points and giving up 59

Should be a good game. Go Bills!

Zink and SouthSide_Billiken like this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I think there will be games where we shoot lights out, there will be (and have been) games where we can't make shots, if we shoot lights out I'll take our chances against anyone, if we can't make baskets we won't win (see SIU), simple

Our shooting is what it is and i don’t really expect a game any time soon where we hit consistently from all three of fg/ft/3 pt. If we can just cut down on the 6-8 bonehead mistakes/turnovers and stay out of early foul trouble, I like our chances to hang with anyone.  

That being said, I don’t see this as the game where we cut out the bad mistakes. UH gets up big early, we close the lead to 8-12 points and then UH puts us away over the last 6-8 min.  

Littlebill and billiken_roy like this

I think we all know that when it comes to our Billikens, anything can happen.  We have been in a hostile environment twice already this year --- Seton Hall and Carbondale.  We split.  Anything can happen and I expect the same here.  I am not expecting a win but you never know. 

What I will watch closely is how this plays out in the beginning ----- if they call ticky-tack fouls on French and Gordon and Goodwin and Foreman, we are dead.  Consequently, when these guys hedge, hedge properly and don't give the refs the opportunity for the ticky-tack calls.  Hedging is great but the reality is you are still a good 20 feet from the basket.  Cover Kamar Baldwin; don't worry about Thik Bol.  Fouls will happen and we won't be immune ... let's not add to woes on the road.

rgbilliken likes this

I've seen Houston a couple times, including last night. They are athletic and have some good guards. As expected we're the underdog and I'm not counting on a win, BUT there are a few things that could work in our favor. They are coming off an emotional comeback win, so hopefully they are due for a letdown. Also, they have played a couple P5 teams that frankly are easier for them to get up for. Also, they absolutely dominated us at the Fetz last year, so based on that, it would be natural if they took us a bit lightly.

We have to ugly it up of course and keep it close. I'm not counting on Thatch to knock in a bunch of 3-pointers again, so somebody else will have to step up and have a big game. I keep going back to the guy who preseason was considered an A-10 POY candidate - Jordan Goodwin. Also, we'll need Isabell to play, if not, Jacobs will be getting minutes. Based on his last performance, doesn't look like he's ready yet to handle a tough road test like we face on Sunday. I think we'll also need to do damage inside and with second chance points, an area we could have an advantage. This is now the key game if we want to get out of the non-conference schedule with 3 losses.

32 minutes ago, Old guy said:

My two cents, I think both the Houston and the Fla St. games are winnable, however I think this is not going to be an easy thing to do. I will be perfectly happy if we win one of the two and lose the other one by a couple of points only.

I'd take a split any way we can get it.  Win by 1, lose by 30?  Ok!  Worst case for me is lose both by close games.

53 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m optimistic for a win but I don’t think it’ll be that high of a score with a Billikens win.

That's my take too. IF we win, I expect it will be a lower score. We are better at lock down defense than we are at any semblance of high octane offense.

9 hours ago, mechee89 said:

Wiz, if I had to guess, you probably got a degree in Animal Husbandry. Am I wrong?

I was majoring in Animal Husbandry at Swampeast MO but then they caught me at it & I changed it to Marketing.

(thks to Tom Leher for this bit of wit)

Interesting factoid I found on the UH message board (via wikipedia )

In its heyday, the Billiken enjoyed worldwide celebrity. In America he became the athletic mascot of Saint Louis University, because the figure was said to resemble coach John R. Bender. The school’s athletic teams remain the Billikens to this day. A bronze statue of the Billiken stands in front of the Chaifetz Arena on the Saint Louis University Campus.

That same John R. Bender became Houston’s first football coach. He’s the reason the Cougars are called the “Cougars.”

On another note, the UH fans are very respectful in their comments about the Billikens and the upcoming game. 

cgeldmacher likes this