GDT - Bills dam up the Beavers

Just now, billiken_roy said:

speaking of gus, how about his awarding of a foul late in the game at the billikens end on gordon when gordon wasnt close to the play in question and the foul was obviously on thompson for the beavers?  gus should really try to focus and watch the game.   gawd he is horrible.

I spent that entire timeout just babbling incoherently to my wife about officials until Gus corrected himself as play resumed.  Worst pa announcer ever........ 

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

speaking of gus, how about his awarding of a foul late in the game at the billikens end on gordon when gordon wasnt close to the play in question and the foul was obviously on thompson for the beavers?  gus should really try to focus and watch the game.   gawd he is horrible.

Or calling Fred Thatch Dion Wiley

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Crowd noise is the most important thing. I assume the average human would be louder while standing. I don't think that wearing school colors means a lot but I really don't understand why you wouldn't wear school colors. It reminds me of a woman I worked with about 5 years ago. I heard she was going to the billiken blizzard game and I reminded her to wear white. She laughed at me and said "I am absolutely not wearing white between labor day and memorial day, i don't care if they force the shirt on me."

I hope she's at least in her 80s or 90s now, because this "rule" is nonsense that started over 100 years ago, something as a way for old money d-bags to separate themselves from the rest of us. And somehow it got stuck in the public consciousness and never really left.

Put another way: Refusing to wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day makes WAY less sense than wearing whatever color a sports team wears.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Veteran usher here (3 years Busch Stadium II, 2 years The Muny): This is true, and the ushers should hold people off until there's a stoppage in play. They're good about this at Blues games. Chaifetz ushers don't seem to be instructed to do that.

As for the rest of this: I tend to apply my rule for everything in public to fandom: Be mindful of others. It's that simple. If you're standing for no reason and blocking people's view, sit down. If you're excited and want to stand and shout with others, stand away. In a sports arena, as in life, you should be able to do what makes you happy as long as it doesn't interfere with the happiness of others. If you're the only one standing, a moment of reflection is probably in order.

If you can't handle other people standing in general, TV at home is probably the option for you.

You don't have to wear the team colors, but if you're able to, why wouldn't you?

Having been on the floor for 100+ college basketball games (no, not as a player and not as an usher, either), I can promise you that fans getting into it - noise, standing, cheering, team colors - really does make a difference. No individual fan is going to create or destroy atmosphere, but why not be a positive contributor to it? (It's like voting!)

This is supposed to be fun. Don't be the fun police.

-when Cheryl Levick was hosting sessions for season ticket holders to tell us about the new arena I went to one, I remember a gentleman in attendance seemed intent on having hockey ice and I don't think even after Cheryl told him three or four times why there wouldn't be ice he was satisfied, I asked if there would be a policy on not allowing people to their seats while play was going on and she told me there would not be such a policy as the thought was it was inappropriate to keep people from the seats they paid for and repeated that when I asked about the interruption to those already in their seats that also paid

Just now, slufan13 said:

Guy is objectively terrible and is a boring PA guy. But I don't care about him during the game. I am there to watch basketball, not worry about what another shi.tty St Louis radio personality is doing. 

It would be nice to know who the fouls are on and who is coming in the game......not asking a lot....

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I hope she's at least in her 80s or 90s now, because this "rule" is nonsense that started over 100 years ago, something as a way for old money d-bags to separate themselves from the rest of us. And somehow it got stuck in the public consciousness and never really left.

Put another way: Refusing to wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day makes WAY less sense than wearing whatever color a sports team wears.

Exactly.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/white-menswear-you-can-and-should-wear-after-labor-day

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I can understand -- and tend to abide with -- not wearing (all-) white pants, white coat, or white shoes between Labor Day and Easter (it's supposed to be Easter, not Memorial Day, when the season of its being fashionably permissible to wear all white begins).  However, that rule doesn't apply to the shirt.  It just doesn't.

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I spent that entire timeout just babbling incoherently to my wife about officials until Gus corrected himself as play resumed.  Worst pa announcer ever........ 

I was fuming when they went into the time-out and our clown said the foul was on Gordon. I thought how in the hell could it be on Gordon? Then I saw that the Beavs had a number five and it clicked. ANOTHER correction would be forthcoming. And yeah, "Wiley" coming into the game. It's a MIRACLE!

I think those in attendance in a student or formal supporters' section should stand as much as possible throughout a game. I used to think everyone should stand as much as possible throughout the game. However, I now attend the majority of games with my 10-year old son who is under 5 feet tall. He is very into the game, but when the row of well-intended 6" and taller guys in front of us stand at the end of close games, it makes it impossible for him to see. When I do stand, I always check to ensure there isn't a kid or disabled person behind me I might be blocking. I don't think anyone should stand at the expense of making it impossible for someone behind them to watch the game. 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Takeaways so far:

-Standing does nothing.

-Wearing team colors does nothing.

And we scratch our heads all season why it's not louder, more crowded, younger, more participatory, and so forth.

Sigh.

My wife and always wear our Billiken blue shirts stand and yell while most others around do not but give us the right on smile while we do it.

Not mentioned in your post but mentioned in this thread during play people getting to their seats gets on my wife’s nerves she wants to see everything and not miss a thing.

With so many available seats I’ll take anyone that will fill those seats up.

I was getting a couple beers from the vendor on the concourse at halftime.  This guy standing next to me says, "I'm from Oregon State.  I got these."  He bought my two, a couple for the next guy and the next guy.  Oregon State fans are alright in my book.

DirtyRican likes this

Just now, Iggy said:

I was getting a couple beers from the vendor on the concourse at halftime.  This guy standing next to me says, "I'm from Oregon State.  I got these."  He bought my two, a couple for the next guy and the next guy.  Oregon State fans are alright in my book.

I had a guy in an Oregon state hat behind me. Was super polite, actually clapped for both teams.

36 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Anyone giving visiting fans grieve are losers. Imagine going down to SIU for that game and being in fear. Hard enough traveling with the knowledge of the home court advantage.