GDT - Bills dam up the Beavers

8 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

Wearing school colors is the most overrated thing in sports.  Cardinal red will REALLY pump the team up.  Billiken blue will buy us at least another 4-6 points.  Wrong.  I could see the crowd standing motivating the players  to do something to make them go nuts.  I don't see a shirt color doing much for them.  To each their own, however.  Just my opinion.

well you stand the entire game, i will relax and enjoy the game in my billiken blue attire and stand and cheer when the billikens do something fantastic.  hope your feet dont hurt too bad on the walk to the parking lot after the game.  

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

Wearing school colors is the most overrated thing in sports.  Cardinal red will REALLY pump the team up.  Billiken blue will buy us at least another 4-6 points.  Wrong.  I could see the crowd standing motivating the players  to do something to make them go nuts.  I don't see a shirt color doing much for them.  To each their own, however.  Just my opinion.

@billiken_roy humor me for a moment. Next Wednesday scan the arena during the anthem. When people are standing the arena gives the illusion that there are not only more people in the stand but it also feels, especially for the road team, that the crowd is bearing down on you. I do however disagree with @joe_davola I can’t for the life of me understand the thought process of someone, especially a student, who says “hmm I’m going to a billiken game, why don’t I just put on this red/green/yellow/pink shirt” 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

@billiken_roy humor me for a moment. Next Wednesday scan the arena during the anthem. When people are standing the arena gives the illusion that there are not only more people in the stand but it also feels, especially for the road team, that the crowd is bearing down on you. I do however disagree with @joe_davola I can’t for the life of me understand the thought process of someone, especially a student, who says “hmm I’m going to a billiken game, why don’t I just put on this red/green/yellow/pink shirt” 

i have no idea what point you are making.  

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You said that standing to stand doesn’t do anything. I disagree. It elevates the presence of the fans.

so you want to start singing the national anthem throughout the game?  go ahead.   if the crowd joins in i will stand and sing as well.   i am sure the continuous game stoppages to sing our national anthem will draw the game out a lot.

personally i dont watch the fans during the national anthem i watch the video screen and the flag.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so you want to start singing the national anthem throughout the game?  go ahead.   if the crowd joins in i will stand and sing as well.   i am sure the continuous game stoppages to sing our national anthem will draw the game out a lot.

personally i dont watch the fans during the national anthem i watch the video screen and the flag.  

6177005.jpg

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Can’t tell if you really didn’t comprehend my point or if you’re just being an a$s

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can’t tell if you really didn’t comprehend my point or if you’re just being an a$s

an A$$ that you deserve as usual.   have fun standing the entire game.   hope you arent blocking some small child's view.  

Since this thread has turned in to ***** session let me tell my big issue -  Fans today and this includes the vendors have no understanding that you do not walk up and down the aisle during play.  You wait for a stoppage and then walk to your seat.  Whatever happened to the practice of just waiting for a stoppage.  When they walk down the aisle during the play they are blocking lots of people's view and forcing them to stand up to see which in turn blocks other people.  Wait for a stoppage especially if you are going to stop along the way and talk to people already at their seats.  The same goes for vendors - they use to always squat during the play and then stand up at a stoppage or when the play moves to the other end.  I feel much better now.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Since this thread has turned in to ***** session let me tell my big issue -  Fans today and this includes the vendors have no understanding that you do not walk up and down the aisle during play.  You wait for a stoppage and then walk to your seat.  Whatever happened to the practice of just waiting for a stoppage.  When they walk down the aisle during the play they are blocking lots of people's view and forcing them to stand up to see which in turn blocks other people.  Wait for a stoppage especially if you are going to stop along the way and talk to people already at their seats.  The same goes for vendors - they use to always squat during the play and then stand up at a stoppage or when the play moves to the other end.  I feel much better now.

The was back in the Savvis days but I had an usher tell me to clear the aisle.  I told her I was waiting for a stoppage in play and she told me "we don't enforce that."  I said it was the polite thing to do.  She told me to, "do it somewhere else." 

Speaking of crowd interaction you know what I don't see at all. Video board graphics encouraging crowd involvement. I feel like I saw it all the time at Scottrade. Basic things like “stand up” “get loud” “clapping hands animation” or even the classic “noise meter”. Chaifetz doesn’t have any of that displayed on the video boards. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well you stand the entire game, i will relax and enjoy the game in my billiken blue attire and stand and cheer when the billikens do something fantastic.  hope your feet dont hurt too bad on the walk to the parking lot after the game.  

I'm a well oiled machine, Roy...I'll be OK! 

Littlebill likes this

Grandfathers don't have to stand.   Others can, Student section should always stand. 

Everyone should wear team colors that's just a thing.   It's been a thing for a long time.

The crowd's not going to change unless the team is a consistent winner and facing big opponents.   Just the way it is at SLU and most other sporting events. 

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Takeaways so far:

-Standing does nothing.

-Wearing team colors does nothing.

And we scratch our heads all season why it's not louder, more crowded, younger, more participatory, and so forth.

Sigh.

I doubt many are debating if they should attend a game based on Joe Davola's opinion of shirt color.  I'm sure most don't agree with my opinion and that's fine.

Me talking about the Bills at work, at family gatherings and basically anywhere does a lot more to hype up the program than wearing a blue shirt.

36 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That's OK, 05.  I know you are all about the team colors and jerseys and I respect that.  I just don't think French is going to see your Scott Highmark jersey and get fired up.  You bring the best of both worlds to the game, however....

Because I hate myself, I’m going to add my two cents in to this ridiculous discussion. 

Student section should always be standing and rowdy the whole game. Easiest to do when we have both a consistently good program and Saturday afternoon games (day drinking is inherently rowdy) 

Rest of crowd can sit but should stand up and cheer whenever we make a good play/stop/etc. also the last 2 minutes in a close game 

School colors are preferred. 

rgbilliken likes this

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I will say that it looks awesome when we need a big defensive stop or when we have a big offensive possession and the entire arena gets on their feet. 

which is effective because 1. it is spontaneous and 2. a change.   had everyone already been standing, no difference  and no effect.    

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Veteran usher here (3 years Busch Stadium II, 2 years The Muny): This is true, and the ushers should hold people off until there's a stoppage in play. They're good about this at Blues games. Chaifetz ushers don't seem to be instructed to do that.

As for the rest of this: I tend to apply my rule for everything in public to fandom: Be mindful of others. It's that simple. If you're standing for no reason and blocking people's view, sit down. If you're excited and want to stand and shout with others, stand away. In a sports arena, as in life, you should be able to do what makes you happy as long as it doesn't interfere with the happiness of others. If you're the only one standing, a moment of reflection is probably in order.

If you can't handle other people standing in general, TV at home is probably the option for you.

You don't have to wear the team colors, but if you're able to, why wouldn't you?

Having been on the floor for 100+ college basketball games (no, not as a player and not as an usher, either), I can promise you that fans getting into it - noise, standing, cheering, team colors - really does make a difference. No individual fan is going to create or destroy atmosphere, but why not be a positive contributor to it? (It's like voting!)

This is supposed to be fun. Don't be the fun police.

RUBillsFan likes this

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Speaking of crowd interaction you know what I don't see at all. Video board graphics encouraging crowd involvement. I feel like I saw it all the time at Scottrade. Basic things like “stand up” “get loud” “clapping hands animation” or even the classic “noise meter”. Chaifetz doesn’t have any of that displayed on the video boards. 

I don't know. The video board exhortations to clap and get loud always strike me as pathetic.  Slightly less pathetic perhaps than Guy Phillips' exhortations....... 

Crowd noise is the most important thing. I assume the average human would be louder while standing. I don't think that wearing school colors means a lot but I really don't understand why you wouldn't wear school colors. It reminds me of a woman I worked with about 5 years ago. I heard she was going to the billiken blizzard game and I reminded her to wear white. She laughed at me and said "I am absolutely not wearing white between labor day and memorial day, i don't care if they force the shirt on me."

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't know. The video board exhortations to clap and get loud always strike me as pathetic.  Slightly less pathetic perhaps than Guy Phillips' exhortations....... 

speaking of gus, how about his awarding of a foul late in the game at the billikens end on gordon when gordon wasnt close to the play in question and the foul was obviously on thompson for the beavers?  gus should really try to focus and watch the game.   gawd he is horrible.

cheeseman likes this