GDT - Bills dam up the Beavers

1 minute ago, GBL_Bills said:

Anyone know if there’s a place to watch the post game conference? I don’t usually care but with the More unique lineups tonight I would be interested in hearing what Ford had to say 

On the radio 101.1. Ford really liked this lineup with Thatch in and said we will see a lot more of it. With Bess, Thatch, and Goodwin you aren't going to see three guards who play better defense. Ford said Goodwins defense has really improved.

ARon and GBL_Bills like this

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the lack of energy is actually based on apathy and not age. A front row seat to SIU game is 25 a ticket. SLU a lot more. That means most of our tickets in the first 10 rows are sold to big companies or rich people who don’t really give a sh!t.

It is really strange always seeing those open seats even for big games I do not understand why they buy those seats.

I wish they would give those tickets away if they are not planing to attend.

The wife and I were standing in our section yelling at the bald ref that missed some calls

billikenfan05 likes this

5 minutes ago, davidnark said:

???

Where you there? The crowd was quite loud the last 5 minutes.

Yes we were.

The crowd really gave it to the refs too.

I just finished watching on DVR. My observations: 

1) Goodwin's gotta slow down.

2.) Thatch should start. Isabell can come off the bench as a sort of an igniter. 

3) Jacobs needs more grooming. Too many bad passes. 

4.) Javon Bess has got to stay healthy. (Captain Obvious comment). 

5.) Foreman- love him and hate him. Gordon's a lot better. 

6.) I guess the PAC 12 allows the Eurostep. If I was a ref they would have been hit wit a bunch more travels. 

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Houston is 8-0, but they ain’t played NOBODY. On KenPom their opponents offense is ranked 336 and their opponents defense is somehow worse at 342. I think we have a good shot at winning. Hope they are in the top 25 and beat LSU for our resume 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Good to know.  They did handle a bad Ok St team on the road.

They beat Oregon as well - who are ranked above Oregon St. 

2 hours ago, davidnark said:

???

Where you there? The crowd was quite loud the last 5 minutes.

Yes, I was there. The crowd was virtually silent for the vast majority of the game. It wasn't until the final 5 minutes of the game for a select few people to start standing standing up in an attempt to get their sections going, which worked for about 30 seconds and then everyone quieted back down. The sparse student section did their best to keep the noise going, but it died until the final minute or two when it became clear that the Bills would hold on for the W.  It just didn't really seem as loud as it should have been when Bess was going on a run late in the second half. Most people were just casually clapping like it was a golfing tournament. 

Overall it was a pretty subpar atmosphere relative to Chaifetz arena standards. Surprising, especially because it was a Sunday afternoon game. 

Ironbills likes this

7 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Yes, I was there. The crowd was virtually silent for the vast majority of the game. It wasn't until the final 5 minutes of the game for a select few people to start standing standing up in an attempt to get their sections going, which worked for about 30 seconds and then everyone quieted back down. The sparse student section did their best to keep the noise going but it died until the final minute when it became clear that the Bills would hold on.  

Overall it was a pretty subpar atmosphere relative to Chaifetz arena standards. Surprising, especially because it was a Sunday afternoon game. 

Imo most of getting a crowd in the game is on the team.  Give us something to get excited about.  Right now our offense is maybe a notch above watching a phil ford 4 corners offense in action.

I will say it was better today but up to the last few minutes, not enough to get out of  my seat much beyond yelling at stupid referees calls (i.e. thatch's fantom  foul for waiving his hands at his man )

Standing just to be standing  might be the stupidest fan trend in the history of the world.  Standing when something fantastic happens makes sense and has value.

AGB91 likes this

I thought the Crowd got into it when things went well,  ie. the end of the first half,  after Bess' 3 to go up by 12,  then there was 4 minutes of quiet because nothing happened except missed FTs and letting them back in the game.  The crowd re-entered the picture the last 5 minutes.   I think JG did decently at point guard,  his offensive fouls were avoidable.  He need to ask JB how to shot a mid range J.  Bess rises up so well and shoots with balance and control. 

As far as Demarcus Jacobs,   I want to see more.  Sure he had some of the most unsightly turnovers of the game,  but he made two FT's.  The foul situation was unfortunate, but Ford decided he would rather play without Jacobs in the second half than with JG with 3 fouls to start the second.  I see no reason why Ford should go back to Tramaine Isabel as a starter. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

1) Goodwin's gotta slow down.

2.) Thatch should start. Isabell can come off the bench as a sort of an igniter. 

4.) Javon Bess has got to stay healthy. (Captain Obvious comment). 

5.) Foreman- love him and hate him. Gordon's a lot better. 

6.) I guess the PAC 12 allows the Eurostep. If I was a ref they would have been hit wit a bunch more travels. 

I agree they were walking a lot more than it was called.

3 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

I thought the Crowd got into it when things went well,  ie. the end of the first half,  after Bess' 3 to go up by 12,  then there was 4 minutes of quiet because nothing happened except missed FTs and letting them back in the game.  The crowd re-entered the picture the last 5 minutes.   I think JG did decently at point guard,  his offensive fouls were avoidable.  He need to ask JB how to shot a mid range J.  Bess rises up so well and shoots with balance and control. 

As far as Demarcus Jacobs,   I want to see more.  Sure he had some of the most unsightly turnovers of the game,  but he made two FT's.  The foul situation was unfortunate, but Ford decided he would rather play without Jacobs in the second half than with JG with 3 fouls to start the second.  I see no reason why Ford should go back to Tramaine Isabel as a starter. 

What a low bar we have now that all you have to do is hit a couple of FTs to make fans want to see more of the player.  Jacobs is not ready for prime time as a pg at this point.  Now can he develop - of course but he would have cost us the game for sure if Ford had left him in.  Ford put him in at the end when we had the ball for just the reason that he apparently can shoot FTs.  Supposedly Gordon is one of the best FT shooters during practice - if so then what the heck happened today.  He made everyone forget who Shaq was at the line.  Gordon was brutal.  The problem is if he can not do better in games shooting FTs he is a real liability.  Teams will foul him all the time.  His poor and that is being generous FT shooting today quite frankly almost cost us the game.  He missed so many in a row that we went for several minutes with no scores and that is how the Beavers were able to get back into the game.  Had he hit even 50% and that is poor the game never would have been that close.  As far as the crowd - pretty hard to get excited about missed layups and missed FTs for long stretches.

Ice Billiken likes this

-I too don't understand why the heck with a 4 point lead JB was anywhere close to Tinkle as the clock expired, he got away with it, hope we don't see it again

-we escaped, we overcame some adversity (TI being benched (I don't believe he is hurt/injured), CAG not starting, a patented Billiken drought, lost a lead) and won the game

-when the season started I think most of us were excited about our depth, my how things have changed

-Fred Thatch, welcome to the offensive party!!! 

-free throws, my goodness

-we did reduce our turnovers but I am not celebrating having 15 and they outrebounded us and we won the game, I would not have thought this season we could win a game when we didn't win the rebound margin

-finish the semester the right way and go to Houston and get a win, that would be very nice 

BlueAndWhite likes this

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

Jacobs looked like he was in practice, instead of a live game. Like he was going through the motions, running the offense without a defense. Passes were too deliberate, with nothing on them.

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes but he is in grad school. Could have different schedule or maybe no exams. 

Agree I think there is nothing to see here but if he is hurt, I wonder why he would leave campus instead of getting therapy, working out his injury, etc.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Jacobs looked like he was in practice, instead of a live game. Like he was going through the motions, running the offense without a defense. Passes were too deliberate, with nothing on them.

This, Jacobs looked like a guy that hasn't seen much action at game speed running the point.  It was a tough spot to ask him to fill.

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Imo most of getting a crowd in the game is on the team.  Give us something to get excited about.  Right now our offense is maybe a notch above watching a phil ford 4 corners offense in action.

I will say it was better today but up to the last few minutes, not enough to get out of  my seat much beyond yelling at stupid referees calls (i.e. thatch's fantom  foul for waiving his hands at his man )

Standing just to be standing  might be the stupidest fan trend in the history of the world.  Standing when something fantastic happens makes sense and has value.

Wearing school colors is the most overrated thing in sports.  Cardinal red will REALLY pump the team up.  Billiken blue will buy us at least another 4-6 points.  Wrong.  I could see the crowd standing motivating the players  to do something to make them go nuts.  I don't see a shirt color doing much for them.  To each their own, however.  Just my opinion.

Littlebill likes this