GDT - Bills dam up the Beavers

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowd was absolutely dead tonight. Overall, Billikens fans are low energy. Even when we were pulling away at the end, a lot people just sat on their asses looking stone faced. 

Student section was weak. Majority of them left after the first half, probably because they had too much "studying for finals" to do. They can't even cut 2 measly hours out of their Sunday afternoon to support this team...

I too think some of the coaching is lacking.  However, I wonder if it's possibly a by product of the # of freshman and new players on the court?  Or maybe they focus on D so much in practice.

Overall really happy they held on to win.  Thatch coming out party? I hope so.  Because we'll need that vs Houston.   K. Sampson's team is #8 in the country in defense. 

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Okay.  Let’s just enjoy the win.  I was reacting to your comment “This team is not well coached.”  That’s a strong statement.  Especially after a win to a power conference team.  I thought that comment was very unfair.

That’s fair. And agree.  Let’s enjoy the W.  

cgeldmacher likes this

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Crowd was absolutely dead tonight. Overall, Billikens fans are low energy. Even when we were pulling away at the end, a lot people just sat on their asses looking stone faced. 

Odd for a Sunday afternoon while classes are still in session.  I suppose it is finals week. 

For the most part we got good shots from the offense. If we hit freethrows and layups we score 75-80 points.

Ford said in the post game Gordon is one of the best freethrow shooters in practice. He also said he didnt practice the last two days but didn't say why. By end of the year he will be unstoppable.

Adman and cgeldmacher like this

14 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Houston is 8-0, but they ain’t played NOBODY. On KenPom their opponents offense is ranked 336 and their opponents defense is somehow worse at 342. I think we have a good shot at winning. Hope they are in the top 25 and beat LSU for our resume 

Good to know.  They did handle a bad Ok St team on the road.

8 minutes ago, slusam said:

For the most part we got good shots from the offense. If we hit freethrows and layups we score 75-80 points.

Ford said in the post game Gordon is one of the best freethrow shooters in practice. He also said he didnt practice the last two days but didn't say why. By end of the year he will be unstoppable.

and coaching isn't going to change that. If you're getting good makeable looks and drives to the basket, your offense is fine. Players have to make plays within their ability. If we shoot 66% from the line we beat a power conference team that Wiz has ranked as a B+ by 10. We shoot 47% from the line and 42% from the field and beat a B+ team by 4. Sounds like we have a coaching issue.

Just came back from the game and feel quite happy about this win. Oregon was a tough team, I think we had much better defense than they did but our FTs were pretty poor so we won by 4 points. For anyone thinking about why we lost the SIUC  game, Bess scored 3 points in that game, but 24 pts against Oregon. Isabell was nowhere to be seen today. Thatch was great with 16 pts. Jacobs played 12 minutes, got 2 pts, 2 rebs and 4 fouls. Hankton played 2 min. All in all a satisfactory win.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

At this point I just do not understand why people keep beating a dead horse about the older fans not acting like they are 40 years younger.  Honestly for some of these older fans to stand up is a major accomplishment in itself.  If you actually get them up then they can not figure out how to sit down without falling off there seat.  I am fine with them not imperiling themselves.  As far as the student section goes - I won't complain about their attendance tonight - more showed up then you would usually get on a final night.  

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

At this point I just do not understand why people keep beating a dead horse about the older fans not acting like they are 40 years younger.  Honestly for some of these older fans to stand up is a major accomplishment in itself.  If you actually get them up then they can not figure out how to sit down without falling off there seat.  I am fine with them not imperiling themselves.  As far as the student section goes - I won't complain about their attendance tonight - more showed up then you would usually get on a final night.  

Did you attend the SIU game? Their fanbase is just as old if not older. So much more engaged 

Spoon-Balls likes this

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Just came back from the game and feel quite happy about this win. Oregon was a tough team, I think we had much better defense than they did but our FTs were pretty poor so we won by 4 points. For anyone thinking about why we lost the SIUC  game, Bess scored 3 points in that game, but 24 pts against Oregon. Isabell was nowhere to be seen today. Thatch was great with 16 pts. Jacobs played 12 minutes, got 2 pts, 2 rebs and 4 fouls. Hankton played 2 min. All in all a satisfactory win.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

We played Oregon State by the way.  Jacobs had the deer in the headlights look when he was running the point.  In his 12 minutes he had 3 TOs and could have had more but he got lucky that the Beavers knocked a couple others out of bounds. He is not very strong and just is not ready to be the pg.  Isabell has a hamstring injury so he is unable to play.  You are right - we lost to the SIUC because Bess was not Bess (ankle bothering him) and we had too many TOs.

47 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Student section was weak. Majority of them left after the first half, probably because they had too much "studying for finals" to do. They can't even cut 2 measly hours out of their Sunday afternoon to support this team...

???

Where you there? The crowd was quite loud the last 5 minutes.