SIU from da'Couch in MD ......

Taj79

... I got nothing.  I asked my questions in the GDT.  You all are messaging many of the same things ... what offense?  Can we end the PG experiment?  Who are the shooters?  Can Ford game coach?

What I will say is the over-reaction of this board is typical, expected and in most cases warranted.  If we come back and beat Oregon State --- which I fully expect we do --- all will be right in the world again as it was post-Butler.  I wanted a win at Carbondale but am truly not surprised with the result.  I don't know who this team is yet.  This is the OOC -- time to find all things out and based on the questions raised, we are still not there.  Hobbled or not, Bess shot one-for-10; what's odd there is he took seven of those 10 shots from distance.  That's not Javon's game.  Goodwin made two threes in a row or so, the rest he was 0-for-6 on.  Isabell was 3-of-11.  Our starting guards were 8 of 34.  And in summation the team shot 33% from the floor.  We also left five free points at the free throw line.  And missed 20 three pointers.  The question might be even though we are athletically gifted, are we basketball skill gifted?  Gordon didn't really get involved until the second half and again had two really stupid hedging fouls benching him in the first half just after the ten minute mark. 

SIU was picked by some to finish top three in the valley even win it.  Losing by 5 at their place is not a bad loss.  But it should have been a win.  We all know hiccups come every year.  I guess this one of those games.  I now expect losses to Houston and Florida State.  Our 6 and 2 is likely going to be 9 and 4 heading into conference play.  We have five games to figure something, anything, out.  The book is being written --- to beat Saint Louis, zone 'em, pack the lane, clean up the defensive boards and make them shoot from distance.