Good recruiter, bad coach?

gobillsgo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well almost every player is underperforming compared to last year/ previous teams except Wiley. 

I honestly think there is something behind the scenes going on. This team is frustrated, you can see it on their face. 

Dont know how you can coach bad shots but these guys feel pressured to play well and often try to make “statement shots” 

4 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

The only half this year that JGood has looked as good as last year was first half against Pitt when Isabell was sitting out. Coincidence?

hot take: isabell puts his ego aside and becomes manu ginobili 6th man spark plug off the bench 

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

So I think we all agree its time to fire Ford and look for a new coach. I bet we could get Stevens

From reading this board you would think we are 1-7 instead of 6-2. Last year at this time we were 4-4 and one of the wins was Rockhurst. They just need to relax and hit some shots.

Littlebill likes this

Knew people would lose their s*** at this thread. Does everyone see the “?” on the end of the thread title?  I’m not saying Ford is an awful coach.  I’m not saying he should be fired. We all think he has done a great job to revitalize this program in just three years. But since when are we not allowed to question a coach when there’s a consistent problem (turnovers and offense) that isn’t getting fixed?  Ford is not the supreme leader. Your fandom is not revoked for asking questions about his performance as an in-game coach. 

It’s funny to me that many of the posters bashing this thread were saying our chances at an A10 championship were over after the Troy and Northern Alabama games. 

22 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I actually meant to give you a bad post rather than a troll post but same thing honestly.

We are a much better team than we played last night, but if you can't see significant concerns with this team on the offensive end through the first 8 games, you have not actually been watching it. 

I've been watching and I do not like what I see and we have not played one game offensively that I have been pleased with other than offensive rebounds.

I have asked what is the offense on every game?

When it comes to coaching it is about both sides and the defense has been great and has won us games have you been watching?

Defense is coaching too and having a team that can lock down other teams each game gives us a chance every game.

You have to score to win and the offense is a mess but I am hoping for better things after 8 games but it won't happen with Bess and Wiley hurt.

Happy Friday lets bounce back

slufanskip likes this

11 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

ill take the bad posts for this, but the title of this thread should be - "Is JGood a Bust?"

OMG with this post you are brave.

Happy Friday next year you made me laugh again.

Everybody needs to relax ..... it's the OOC and the time for finding out just what we (or any team for that matter) has.  The problem is that many of us believe that this is the time at-large bids get sealed up.  I don't know how true that may be, but I tend to lean that way as well.  So you are stuck with experimenting in what some see as 'must win' situations.  It's a tough road to go.  I'd like to believe we will be okay but the questions are numerous.  That's why Ford gets the big bucks.  He has to figure it out. 

The measure now becomes since we are all so smart an dknow what the problems are, we can sit back and watch Ford's plan to correct them.  That's all we can do.

15 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

At this point i feel pretty confident saying that signing Isabell was a mistake 

im not ready to throw in the towel on isabell.   the kid is fearless and does have some skills.   he just needs to be put into a position he can succeed.  that is on ford to do. the likes of him turning into allen iverson or kyrie irving is a tough expectation and that is what has been thrust on him with the offense we are utilizing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Credit where it is due, going to the press was a great move tonight. We have some of the best defensive guards in the country, and we really struggle on offense. Causing some turnovers and getting some easy buckets seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Obviously it won’t be as effective against teams with better guards. But again, seems like it would be to our benefit to play high pressure defense, turning it into fast paced offense. 

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Credit where it is due, going to the press was a great move tonight. We have some of the best defensive guards in the country, and we really struggle on offense. Causing some turnovers and getting some easy buckets seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Obviously it won’t be as effective against teams with better guards. But again, seems like it would be to our benefit to play high pressure defense, turning it into fast paced offense. 

I agree with this. The NCAA is full of coaches who would rather be stubborn and lose running their system. Ford seems to be the kind of coach who is willing to change things up in a game or middle of the season to accentuate the strengths of the team. It is a different style and both have their positives and negatives, but I do think Ford's style is more appealing to recruits. 

cgeldmacher and Zink like this