Good recruiter, bad coach?

gobillsgo

Obviously recruiting and game coaching are not independent of each other; this is what makes the Jimmerson signing so important (and why not having Wiley available was such a detriment last night).  SIU was perfectly willing to let us chuck up wide open threes and stack the interior.  With Wiley out and Bess hobbled we have no one to keep a defense honest, and that cost us last night.  A lot of times one dead eye shooter makes everyone better, and we don't have that right now.  This team as presently constructed is going to have more games like last night, especially on the road.

TheChosenOne likes this

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust coach knows his team well and will agree with some of our common critiques.  I sense TI is having some attitude problems and he's clearly not adjusting well to A10 play (do we know why he sat out half of the Pitt game?).

TI has a good shot so I think he needs to be a SG and get JGood as an attack style PG that can disrupt defenses and create for quick open dishes underneath the rim. This is exactly what he was recruited to do. JGood is not a shooter-- he's a bulldog that likes to drive.  JGood has a good body to do so. Let's not forget he was also recruited for football.

3 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Why post a thread title like this? So sick of the global meltdown everytime something doesn't bounce our way. I had this as a L in the column from day one. Very physical game. Not Ford's fault that we can't shoot. 

actually ford does have to take some blame.   he picked this roster.   plus he is the one designing the offensive scheme that is presenting those bad shots/shooters.   

the best way to get our shooting percentage up is shoot more better shots.   so again, as many of us have been harping all year, quit walking the ball down the floor and going into the stupid weave to run the shot clock down and be faced with a last second shot clock attempt so often.  get out and run, get a few layups and dunks and if not there pull it out and start working an offense prior to 10 seconds left on the shot clock.  

this offensive show is pretty much all on ford imo.   it's time to start running the team for the upgrade in talent vs the hines show we were forced to utilize the last couple of years.

TheChosenOne likes this

Besides the loss of Santos, the absence of Welmer and his shooting should not be overlooked. Did the coach make a blunder by living up to his commitment to the young man by keeping him on the team when it appeared he would be able to contribute? Or should he have seen the writing on the foot and recruited a replacement? Also, as has been mentioned, the decision by Jalen Johnson to transfer was a blow to the team's makeup. Add those two back in and we have a different offense.

46 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't blame Ford for the loss.  If I can blame him for anything it is for not seeing much progression on turning all the new faces into a team on offense.  He certainly deserves credit for holding things together last year but getting the right players on the floor at the right time was not much of a concern as the choices were so limited. 

At this point I'd trade Hines for Isabell and give the keys back to Goodwin.  Hines was a chucker with limited court vision but he was a better point guard than Isabell. 

According to Ford, Goodwin did not have "the keys" most of last year, it was Roby.

19 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Why post a thread title like this? So sick of the global meltdown everytime something doesn't bounce our way. I had this as a L in the column from day one. Very physical game. Not Ford's fault that we can't shoot. 

A physical game should suit us just fine.  We should be able to out physical any team in the Valley

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

According to Ford, Goodwin did not have "the keys" most of last year, it was Roby.

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I would take Roby back over Isabell too......

Goodwin was the primary point guard up until about the UMass game.  Then Roby/Hines took over for the last dozen or so games.  Goodwin of course missed 7 of those games, but Roby had already taken over when he left.  What was interesting was that Goodwin had 10 then 8 assists, then was pulled as primary PG.

9 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Besides the loss of Santos, the absence of Welmer and his shooting should not be overlooked. Did the coach make a blunder by living up to his commitment to the young man by keeping him on the team when it appeared he would be able to contribute? Or should he have seen the writing on the foot and recruited a replacement? Also, as has been mentioned, the decision by Jalen Johnson to transfer was a blow to the team's makeup. Add those two back in and we have a different offense.

There are all sorts of excuses as to why our offense isn't what it could've been.  It just seems as though the pieces we do have should be able to run an actual offense.    

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

There are all sorts of excuses as to why our offense isn't what it could've been.  It just seems as though the pieces we do have should be able to run an actual offense.    

The first metric we all look at for a PG is assists/turnover.  There is no good metric for 'running an offense'.  This is where I believe we are lacking.

Just now, Scoop said:

We missed 20 3s which were mostly good looks.  Yeah, we should have pounded it inside more but just make a few and we win. Continue meltdown.

That’s like the gambling addict at the black jack table saying “yeah, but I’m getting a lot of good hands but the dealer just keeps beating me.”

24 minutes ago, Scoop said:

We missed 20 3s which were mostly good looks.  Yeah, we should have pounded it inside more but just make a few and we win. Continue meltdown.

23 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

That’s like the gambling addict at the black jack table saying “yeah, but I’m getting a lot of good hands but the dealer just keeps beating me.”

Is Wiley worth 6 points? I'm willing to say that he is. If he's the person taking 4 or 5 of those threes instead of KC/TI/FT we take that game.

edit: Let me also add that Demarius missed dunk would have been nice to have.

A major problem with our offense is that we are taking what the defense gives us.  On a well-balanced team this is a good strategy.  But we are not a good 3pt shooting team--and everyone knows it.  So, we move the ball around the perimeter, move the ball inside, pass the ball back outside after the double team comes, and we end up getting an open 3-pt look.  This is exactly what the opposition wants us to do.

We need to work on imposing our will on the inside.  Try some high post/low post action.  Try more actions from the guards cutting through the lane.  Hoping we hit enough 3s to score 60 is not going to be a winning strategy with this roster.  

Oh, and 8 games in we still have yet to attempt an alley-oop.  WTF!?

Just now, Matty Light said:

A major problem with our offense is that we are taking what the defense gives us.  On a well-balanced team this is a good strategy.  But we are not a good 3pt shooting team--and everyone knows it.  So, we move the ball around the perimeter, move the ball inside, pass the ball back outside after the double team comes, and we end up getting an open 3-pt look.  This is exactly what the opposition wants us to do.

We need to work on imposing our will on the inside.  Try some high post/low post action.  Try more actions from the guards cutting through the lane.  Hoping we hit enough 3s to score 60 is not going to be a winning strategy with this roster.  

Oh, and 8 games in we still have yet to attempt an alley-oop.  WTF!?

We don't have the passing to throw alley-oops.

1 minute ago, Billnation08 said:

Isabell has attempted two alley oops this season, both were bad passes that I believe hit the rim both times - so they were likely statistically counted as "shots" even though they definitely were not intended that way.

I remember one of those but couldn't tell what he was trying to do it was so bad.

I think as a group we are having a case of inflated expectations which are starting to look like they may not come to pass. Look at the stats of this game if you please, what is amiss? The glaring stat that is not as is expected is the low score produced by Bess. How about the rest of his stats, they were fine, he just could not score anywhere close to what he normally does in a game. Why may that be? The most likely cause is that he played injured and obviously without full use of a leg. For those of you who really know a lot about basketball, how important is the full use of both legs (your normal way of shooting a ball) in scoring? DUH... Does anyone doubt that Bess is our mot important player? Anyway Bess was injured and could not score as he usually does. We lost the game although we could have won it with a few more baskets. 

Now look at the game stats, we beat them in rebounds, we beat them in assists. We played reasonably well, but Bess who was injured could not score as usual. Why should this surprise anyone? All this garbage about Ford being a bad coach is just that, garbage. Ford cannot control injury, and other players like Thatch were plainly not scoring at all. 

Ford can do a lot of things but he cannot heal injury with a magic wand. We still have a chance but going to the dance but this is NOT going to be an easy thing to do. Not when our best player is injured just prior to a string of very tough games. Reality is reality, fantasy is not. Bess played injured and could not score as he normally does, we lost this game. 

We will see what happens going forward. The SIUC game was winnable, but not with an injured Bess. 

For those of you that write things like "In Ford I trust" and now turn around and think he is a bad coach after this loss, get a life. 

Just now, slufan13 said:

I would feel better about all of this if we actually showed something that resembled an offense. Missing shots is on the players but our "offense" is non-existent. 

Granted I was sitting on the court, nooooooooootttt a big deal, and couldn't see the big picture but it seemed like we got ourselves open shots off passes quite a bit.