GDT Rename them the Slukies

Littlebill

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Evidently not. It appears it's on espn+ which is apparently a stream. Can anyone shed some light on how this works?

You have to have an account.  I believe there is a free trial.  Once you logged in you can pretty much watch on any device.  Usually pretty good quality. 

24 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Evidently not. It appears it's on espn+ which is apparently a stream. Can anyone shed some light on how this works?

ESPN+ is separate from the cable networks, which have their programming available for streams on WatchESPN.

For WatchESPN, you need a cable/satellite subscription to log in. This is for watching what's currently/previously on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, etc.

ESPN+ is a standalone service, available for $4.99/month or $49.99/year. ESPN+ events tend to be regional broadcasts for which ESPN pays a fee in order to make them all available via their app. There are a lot of college games, sports not normally broadcast on regular TV, and things like that. The A10 struck a deal with ESPN in the offseason to make its regionally broadcast events available via ESPN+. I'm not sure whether these rights are acquired through the A10 only, through both the A10 and regional carriers, or how that's drawn up. But it strikes me as a win-win arrangement; ESPN gets subscription revenue that didn't exist before and a lot of events/teams/sports/conferences get access to viewers that wouldn't have the ability to watch them before.

When you go to the ESPN app on your phone or TV/Roku/AppleTV/etc., ESPN+ streams have a yellow corner with a white + in them; the others are WatchESPN. So you access both types of streams through the same app, even though one is via cable subscription and one is its own subscription. Go to WatchESPN to see examples of what I mean.

The quality so far has been very good. They've been showing the SLU games that are on Fox Sports Midwest, basically. Everything is the same except they'll black out certain ads. I went with the annual subscription because even just getting a few broadcasts is worth $50 a year for me, and there are other unexpected bonus events for me so it's worth it.

1 hour ago, BillikenBoy10 said:

You have to have an account.  I believe there is a free trial.  Once you logged in you can pretty much watch on any device.  Usually pretty good quality. 

ESPN+ ...... great deal at $4.95 a month.  Excellent quality and can cancel after the season is over.