ESPN/Lunardi's First Bracketology

slu72

10 hours ago, slu72 said:

A10 is a 1 bid league- us. 

I think it could be more than a 1 bid league.

Dayton has surprised me so far and I think Davidson has been decent.

St. Joes has not helped themselves so far.

The next two weeks will define the at large possibilities I think we need SIUC and either Houston or Florida State for a resume of quality wins in case we lose the A10 tournament and still get in.

Kudos to ford's scheduling.   We sweep the rest of the nonconference and win the regular season we will be close to an autobid.   But the A10 is no friend this year.   The conference appears to be way down.   Might not even be a top 10 conference. 

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Kudos to ford's scheduling.   We sweep the rest of the nonconference and win the regular season we will be close to an autobid.   But the A10 is no friend this year.   The conference appears to be way down.   Might not even be a top 10 conference. 

Huh? We sweep the rest of non-conference and win the regular season (I’m assuming you are thinking 15-3 or something in the a-10) we are a 5-7 seed and likely in the top 25. That’s not what I would call close to an autobid.

25-6 is the magic number for an at-large.

I will only say that looking past tomorrow night is useless.  For perspective, Fordham is 6 and 1.  FORDHAM.  As HP pointed out, Duquesne and Dayton are getting placed in some version of the bracket right now.  I sincerely doubt that happens on either account and hereby bet roy's house on that projection. 

The key games are the road games .... for the OOC that leaves Carbondale, Houston and in Florida.    In the A10, that means Duquesne, Rhode Island, Dayton, VCU, St. Joe's and even the Bonnies who seem to own us in Olean.  We must not have our annual slip up games either ..... or we'll be the ones looking for the auto-bid with meaning come Brooklyn in March. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Huh? We sweep the rest of non-conference and win the regular season (I’m assuming you are thinking 15-3 or something in the a-10) we are a 5-7 seed and likely in the top 25. That’s not what I would call close to an autobid.

25-6 is the magic number for an at-large.

Agreed - a W against Florida St in Florida and wins against Oregon State and @ Houston (although a TALL task) would be PLENTY assuming we don't lose to Mason, Fordham, or one of the other anchors

27 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Agreed - a W against Florida St in Florida and wins against Oregon State and @ Houston (although a TALL task) would be PLENTY assuming we don't lose to Mason, Fordham, or one of the other anchors

Oddly, the way the committee works these days if you told me we could be 25-6 but have wins over FL St. Houston, Butler and Seton Hall but also have losses to Fordham, GW, etc. I would take that over losses to all the good teams but never stubbing our toes against the bad teams. The committee values big wins heavily and its part of the eye test and implicit bias that the big schools enjoy because they get so many opportunities for big wins.

2010andBeyond likes this

-one of the most disappointing parts of Selection Sunday 2018 I remember was Dick Vitale saying he is giving up the fight for the little guys as the committee has moved fully to rewarding mediocrity in the big conferences versus teams from non-power conferences that have sparkling records, prime example last year was Syracuse being 2 games under 500 in the ACC and getting in the tourney

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-one of the most disappointing parts of Selection Sunday 2018 I remember was Dick Vitale saying he is giving up the fight for the little guys as the committee has moved fully to rewarding mediocrity in the big conferences versus teams from non-power conferences that have sparkling records, prime example last year was Syracuse being 2 games under 500 in the ACC and getting in the tourney

...and going on to the Sweet 16 (or was it the elite 8?)

In general, though, I agree with you.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

St Mary's should have sued the NCAA over that jobbing. 

One thing that's always been a mystery is we hear that programs that are playing well from mid Feb to early March tend to get more consideration. However, this really only applies to the P5 schools and not the mid majors. It's an excuse to slip in more of the big guys. At large bids for mids like the A10 have to log some signature wins in the OOC then play winning consistent ball in their conference season.