The Bills over SIU by 1

The Wiz

19 hours ago, davidnark said:

I don't have any spreadsheets or complicated data analysis, but the eye test tells me that we should be heavy favorites. I just don't see how SIU can match up with us.

We're picked to win the A10 & UMASS took these guys apart.  I'm going with that thought until proven wrong

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

@The Wiz what would your projection look like sans Bess?

Most likely a loss... Projection would depend on what player or players took his place..... In a close game (within 3pts) you take away a team's leading scorer and they lose. 

Rammer was on with Frank C this morning.  A few comments - this is a big rivalry game for both teams.  Many players on both sides know each other from high school and play against each other during the summer.  The crowd will be large and "into" the game (he called it ugly).

Some night in the near future, maybe tonight, Gordon will explode. He thinks Gordon will get a triple double (and the triple may be in blocks). 

Javon Bess is still Game Time decision.  Thatch can handle the D but not the O.

Rammer talked about Ford talking to the crowd after the Butler game.  "You know how important he thinks the game was when he does that."

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Rammer was on with Frank C this morning.  A few comments - this is a big rivalry game for both teams.  Many players on both sides know each other from high school and play against each other during the summer.  The crowd will be large and "into" the game (he called it ugly).

Some night in the near future, maybe tonight, Gordon will explode. He thinks Gordon will get a triple double (and the triple may be in blocks). 

Javon Bess is still Game Time decision.  Thatch can handle the D but not the O.

Rammer talked about Ford talking to the crowd after the Butler game.  "You know how important he thinks the game was when he does that."

This is exactly the issue. Bess is an elite defender but Thatch has shown he can play that role, too. Bess' offense and rebounding at both ends would be missed (although Thatch is a good rebounder, as well). So we'd be missing that presence for sure.

I've been nervous about this as a trap game since the schedule came out. I hope we overcome the injuries and stay out of foul trouble.

55 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

It seemed liked we always got hosed by the refs over the years whenever we played at Carbondale.  

Hinson said they go 10 deep so I’m sure he wasn’t accidentally suggesting it is going to be a bloodbath/foul fest. Heck, he even mentioned lots of guys fouling out and said he hoped our guys are the ones fouling out. He’s primed the pump for the refs to have a tight whistle which will work against us.

Zink likes this

10 minutes ago, PinkMaleBillikensJersey said:

Hey guys, no doubt Bess is playing. Fully doing warmups and looks like he's moving pretty good. I think he's gonna be fine. Maybe a bit slower, but will get fine

Thanks for info. Fire up your periscope in half  hour :)

This game had danger written all over it....Going on the road after a big game leading to a let down....yet...this game was winnable... many times during the night.... a bucket full of missed opportunities.

If you  had told me before the game that SIU 's slash would be 45/22/ 52....C-/ F-/ F-... I would  have told you ...easy Bills win....holding the 13th ITN in 3P% to less than half of their average....we got em...But this was not to be our night ...The Bills shot a dismal....33/ 23 / 44....F-/ F-/ F-...Forget about a good shooting night....if we had just shot our normal poor slash line (our season average)...we would have had 6 more 2s...2 more 3s...and 2 more FTs....Here's the math...12 + 6+ 2 = 20pts...we left 20 pts on the table.....with an average ... not a good night ...but an average night....the Bills  win by 15 pts...............16 TOs ...not good ...but that didn't cost us the game because SIU had 16 also....Here's the clincher ...we lose the game at the FT line....Even though SIU has their worst night of FT shooting....11/21 (52%)...we shoot 4/9 (44%)....the extra 7 pts at the FT line is the difference in the game.  Bess gets 3 points going 10/14/  NA....1-10/ 1-7/ 0-0...I point this out not to get on him but to show he was not right ...actually a valiant effort since he was a pending scratch right up to game time.

Bottom line....Tonight we couldn't shoot fish in a barrel.....In the immortal words of Coach K...."Next Game"