The Bills over SIU by 1

The Wiz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that this won't be a tough game, but I think we may match up with them well.  They thrive on shooting the three.  We defend the three very well.  They have a guy that we need to shut down to have a better chance.  We have one of the best in the country at shutting someone down, and a second guy that can give the first guy a break.  I'm not sure that they will have an answer for French and Gordon down low.

Our biggest concern has to be getting into foul trouble.  If we are guarding the three point line like we need to, our bigs will be on an island as far as defending inside.  If they get early fouls, that throws our matchup advantage out the window.

SShoe likes this

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm not saying that this won't be a tough game, but I think we may match up with them well.  They thrive on shooting the three.  We defend the three very well.  They have a guy that we need to shut down to have a better chance.  We have one of the best in the country at shutting someone down, and a second guy that can give the first guy a break.  I'm not sure that they will have an answer for French and Gordon down low.

Our biggest concern has to be getting into foul trouble.  If we are guarding the three point line like we need to, our bigs will be on an island as far as defending inside.  If they get early fouls, that throws our matchup advantage out the window.

They have five guys averaging double figures, and Bartley at nearly 8.  They are like Whack-A-Mole.  You shut one guy down and another pops up.

Butler was a bunch of predominantly jump shooters and the one rule of playing defense against such is never foul a jump shooter.  McDermott, Jorgensen, David, Baddley, all preferred the shot from distance.  Baldwin drove but Bess shut him down.  Thompson ate up Isabell at times on the drive.  And Jorgensen tried but those were drives.  Fowler was a dud and Brunk had foul trouble.  I re-watched the replay on ESPN+ last night and had to laugh at McDermott's attempts to draw fouls on his desperation threes late in the game.  No one really came close to him and it was all acting but as with the world, perception is reality and in hindsight, it would not have surprised me had the latest set of  three stooges called those fouls as well.  It's getting to be an academy award performance out there ..... McDermott's flailing, Isabell's off-arm push offs, Thompson throwing his head back with fake contact, guys screaming, it's all getting out of hand if you ask me. 

Back to Vegas spreads for this game against SIUC. The spread against SIUC is 1.6 pts, expected scores are SLU 64.2, SIUC 65.8. Team rankings has SIUC winning but with only 1 star (out of 5) confidence level. Once more, this game is winnable by SLU, what the spread is really saying is that we are evenly matched and either team can be expected to win by a point or two.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Back to Vegas spreads for this game against SIUC. The spread against SIUC is 1.6 pts, expected scores are SLU 64.2, SIUC 65.8. Team rankings has SIUC winning but with only 1 star (out of 5) confidence level. Once more, this game is winnable by SLU, what the spread is really saying is that we are evenly matched and either team can be expected to win by a point or two.

I'll go with the Wiz on this one.  The Bills by 1.

56 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

In what context did he say that? I’m at the women’s game and can’t hear the video 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

In what context did he say that? I’m at the women’s game and can’t hear the video 

Basically talking about how physical the game will be, many fouls and tough D on both sides.

He also said it’s the biggest, toughest, most talented SLU team he’s seen in 6 years, saying “they’re a Big 10 team.”

7 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

This team knows how to not lose. Remember we only lost 1 game due to benching Tremaine and Dion out the entire 2nd half

34 foul shots to SLU’s 14 was the biggest difference according to coach Ford and we only lost by 2.

If we get fair treatment with fouls we will win.  My only concern is Bess and if that is an issue then next man up Hankton and Jacobs.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I don't have any spreadsheets or complicated data analysis, but the eye test tells me that we should be heavy favorites. I just don't see how SIU can match up with us.

You sound like a Memphis fan from Majerus' last year😀

This game terrifies me because a weakened or no Bess is a huge deal. Oh, and we still can't shoot by the way.

SLU_Nick likes this

25 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Exactly. WTF, Stu, nothing to write about the Bills? Who cares about this Fletcher kid other than some Methdale folks. This is a big game for us. Getting a road win against a solid team is a must. And the ??'s surrounding Javon would make for an interesting read, as in, how will SLU make up for his possible absence? Ah, well, it is the PD.  

2 hours ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

Spread says otherwise. Though ESPN rarely chooses the underdog over the favorite. 

Actually, ESPN has SIU as a 3 point favorite and favored 67.7% to 32.3% in their "match predictor". Whatever that means. 

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

So what?

It means they may not be getting the credit that is due and have an opportunity to surprise a lot of people that might not follow the team as closely as those on this board.