Take a deep breath and on to Methdale

slu72

No doubt a big win yesterday. Take today to revel in it, but the next game up ain't gonna be a day at the beach. And how many times do we see a team coming off a big win take a nose dive in the next game?  Am sure Travis will drive home this message over the next 3 days. Losing to Pitt hurt, but not as much as losing to the Egyptian Dogs. This has always been our rivalry game and here's hoping we stay focused and stick to what's got us to 6-1. Also, that Javon is healthy. 

9 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Prior to this game, I hope Ford focuses mostly on finishing in transition and handling pressure. Let’s grab some of the low hanging fruit and build from there. We’ll get a lot of bang for the buck if we simply improve in these two areas. 

I can not understand our ineptitude in transition. Never seen so many 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 opportunities go to waste. 

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I can not understand our ineptitude in transition. Never seen so many 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 opportunities go to waste. 

I think we are still trying to make the extra pass.  Goodwin and Isabell especially, need to take a long weekend and figure out how to work together.  Too much deference and not enough killer instinct.   

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I think we are still trying to make the extra pass.  Goodwin and Isabell especially, need to take a long weekend and figure out how to work together.  Too much deference and not enough killer instinct.   

Whenever the ball handler took it to the hole, he charged.  When he passed it off on the break, the pass was either miss timed or off target.  

6 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

One toward the end of the game was particularly frustrating because Goodwin could have (should have?) just pulled back and ran clock.  Instead he made a terrible bounce pass attempt that ended up near Gordon’s feet.  Thankfully Gordon is skilled enough that he corralled at and drew a foul, but then missed the FTs.

On that play in particular, it seemed like Goodwin was almost caught in between. He probably knew he should pull it back out, but also didn’t want to waste a 3 on 1 and wanted to light up the crowd. 

Our lack of shooting hurts us in transition as well.  A lot of times a good shooter will stop at the 3 pt line in transition and teams have make a choice to defend a wide open 3 from a good shooter or defend a layup.  All our guys are going to the rim so you only have to worry about defending there.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Whenever the ball handler took it to the hole, he charged.  When he passed it off on the break, the pass was either miss timed or off target.  

We always hesitate and look around and in that time both options deteriorate.  Our timing is off due to that....

16 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Butler was very fast in getting back on defense when we were in transition - credit them for that.  Is was what  Butler did that forced us to have to try that extra pass since they had our guy covered who had the ball for the lay up in transition.  TI does not get blocked on that break away unless Butler is as quick as they are.

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Our lack of shooting hurts us in transition as well.  A lot of times a good shooter will stop at the 3 pt line in transition and teams have make a choice to defend a wide open 3 from a good shooter or defend a layup.  All our guys are going to the rim so you only have to worry about defending there.

This is a good point. We have no one drifting to the corner or the slot for a three.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

One toward the end of the game was particularly frustrating because Goodwin could have (should have?) just pulled back and ran clock.  Instead he made a terrible bounce pass attempt that ended up near Gordon’s feet.  Thankfully Gordon is skilled enough that he corralled at and drew a foul, but then missed the FTs.

On that play in particular, it seemed like Goodwin was almost caught in between. He probably knew he should pull it back out, but also didn’t want to waste a 3 on 1 and wanted to light up the crowd. 

I think we have better shooters than we think. Alot of these guys can knock down shots as long as there set jumpers and in rhythm. I think this is something we can and should start doing more of. How about carteare hitting that 3. If I remember correctly it was much needed and we were down by like 6 or 7. He's getting so comfortable at this level and it's scary.