GDT vs Buttler

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I never saw him in high school but wasn't he the leading scorer in Sikeston high school history?    How did he score in high school ?  
All layups?  Just curious.....he's a modern day Josh Fisher if he can get into the offense....

He is now Sikeston's all-time points leader, yes. He's #1 in points (2,382), rebounds (1,198), and assists (488), although Kevin Jones will probably pass him in assists soon. He's second in steals with 307. Pretty cool not just to be a member of the 2000-1000 club, but by such a comfortable margin.

He wasn't much of a shooter in HS until his senior year, when he actually shot a pretty healthy % from 3 (close to 40%, if memory serves). He wasn't taking many, maybe like 3-4 per game, but he was consistent and effective from the perimeter for the first time last season.

He was hard to stop getting to the rim in HS because he's so strong. He was also an effective offensive rebounder, so he got a lot of points on second chances, putbacks, etc. He was paired with a nice PG in Jones, and they also were good in transition. Thatch, also being the focus of opposing defenses, got to the FT line a lot. I think he shot in the 60s somewhere. I'll update this post if I can find more stats.

Sikeston, by the way, has another HS gym I'd love to see someday:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Not to knock him because it's understandable as a FR 5 games into the season, but he was not ready to be on the court v Pitt. I hope he can get to a point soon where he's giving us some minutes because his shot looked pure. 

I agree Moy, HP was saying not a pretty site on the bench but based on one game and his high school play I think Hankton can really shoot and I would like to see him out there now if Wiley cannot go.

I see Hankton playing spot duty and when he plays if he has the shot launch it and don't be afraid of missing, one of the traits Wiley has, the shooters mentality.

I am just guessing why Hankton is not playing and I do not believe it is his shot.

With Wiley being fragile I think coach Ford really needs to get him in.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He is now Sikeston's all-time points leader, yes. He's #1 in points (2,382), rebounds (1,198), and assists (488), although Kevin Jones will probably pass him in assists soon. He's second in steals with 307. Pretty cool not just to be a member of the 2000-1000 club, but by such a comfortable margin.

He wasn't much of a shooter in HS until his senior year, when he actually shot a pretty healthy % from 3 (close to 40%, if memory serves). He wasn't taking many, maybe like 3-4 per game, but he was consistent and effective from the perimeter for the first time last season.

He was hard to stop getting to the rim in HS because he's so strong. He was also an effective offensive rebounder, so he got a lot of points on second chances, putbacks, etc. He was paired with a nice PG in Jones, and they also were good in transition. Thatch, also being the focus of opposing defenses, got to the FT line a lot. I think he shot in the 60s somewhere. I'll update this post if I can find more stats.

Sikeston, by the way, has another HS gym I'd love to see someday:

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, willie said:

For what it's worth I think his shot looks pretty good. Shots seem to be a little strong. Maybe excitement. He will be alright. 

Agree. I am actually surprised he has shot so poorly. I actually think he will improve with more shots per game. He seems like a rhythm type of shooter. 

4 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

finest first half of basketball ive ever witnessed in my life 

For me too. I remember the crowd roaring as the teams left the court at the half and looking at 50-25 on the scoreboard and being just stunned.

NextYearBill likes this