GDT vs Buttler

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-observations on looking at the box score, Baldwin, hyped pre-season BEast poy goes 3-17, that's being guarded - they had one block and we had 8  - their coach had McDermott on the bench too long when they were in a drought and he was their most effective player, thank you  - we finished +3 rebounding after ribbon board had us down much of the game, they did get 15 offensive rebounds from picking up their long misses -  JB ZERO turnovers - as a team 19 turnovers, it would be nice to reduce this, heck if we just could run a fast break that would help  - we made more ft's than they attempted

-I thought there were quite a few Butler fans in attendance, I would like to continue this series

the elephant in the room and the real truth, we dont have a point guard.   and you know that hurts me to say as i was the charter member of the jordan goodwin fan club on this board.   for this team to maximize this outstanding array of talent we need a point guard where it is obvious the only way you take the ball away from him is to shoot him and his play leads to easy scores from everywhere on the floor.   right now all of the billikens turn the ball over far too much many times completely unforced.   and until this problem is fixed and the assists start skyrocketing, this team is going to be an underachiever. 

we are seeing gordon making gains in his play like crazy.   bess is the team leader on both ends of the floor and the rock of the team.   french is so physically dominating, foreman has to be best 6th man in all the land.  thatch is already playing (except shooting 3's 😄) like an upperclassman.  but thus far we base our rhetoric concerning isabell and goodwin on past play and hopes.   as 2018-2019 billikens we can all admit they have been overall disappointing with only flashes of the brilliance they are capable of giving to the billikens.  

i do believe that both goodwin and isabell are more suited to a higher tempo.   walking the ball down the floor and the weave makes me crazy and i just dont get it at all.  and second in the crazy department is when the shot clock is down to under 10 and sure enough standing at the head of the key with the ball is foreman, french  or gordon.  that is just stupid on behalf of the offense. 

but last night was without a doubt more of what we all expected.   the energy for all concerned not only on the floor but the stands was fantastic and one can now get back to the hopes and dreams we had prior to the disappointment of the first month of this season.   I am amazed we sit here today with only one loss.  and one can only optimistically believe that if we can get throught his point of the schedule with only one loss playing as we have for the games thus far,  that with improvement and becoming all we can be, this could really be a special season.   these next two games are huge with two legit games.   lets see where it goes from here.  

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

During the game last night Wiley had to be helped off the court with what appeared to be a leg injury. Anyone knows what happened to Wiley?

had to be that ankle again.   based on my own past history of athletics, an ankle is a bad injury to come back from quickly.   seems like when you think all is well the littlest bad movement is a startover and usually set back even further.   we ought to shut him down till the conference season starts and really let it heal.  

now the really concerning injury imo was the bess ankle turn.  we cannot have that.  

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the elephant in the room and the real truth, we dont have a point guard.   and you know that hurts me to say as i was the charter member of the jordan goodwin fan club on this board.   for this team to maximize this outstanding array of talent we need a point guard where it is obvious the only way you take the ball away from him is to shoot him and his play leads to easy scores from everywhere on the floor.   right now all of the billikens turn the ball over far too much many times completely unforced.   and until this problem is fixed and the assists start skyrocketing, this team is going to be an underachiever. 

i do believe that both goodwin and isabell are more suited to a higher tempo.   walking the ball down the floor and the weave makes me crazy and i just dont get it at all.  and second in the crazy department is when the shot clock is down to under 10 and sure enough standing at the head of the key with the ball is foreman, french  or gordon.  that is just stupid on behalf of the offense. 

Well said, Roy. And the part in bold is so accurate. It drove me absolutely bonkers yesterday.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

😄

I don't think any posters will disagree.  Isabell is a scorer, but his ball handling isn't going to get there this year.  He can shoot, somewhat.  Unfortunately I think we oversold his three point ability.  His career average is 32%.  Today he is hitting 30% for SLU.  Career he is at 76% Ft.  He is at 73% today, but that is rising.  I want only him or Bess to be at the line during the closing minutes of a tight game.

Did Ford talk Isabell into coming to SLU by 'promising' him the PG slot?  If I'm an opposing coach, I'm putting pressure on Isabell for 40 minutes.

Collins can't get here quick enough, but alas, he isn't going to appear until next fall.  I'd love to see Jacobs get a shot at PG. 

now the really concerning injury imo was the bess ankle turn.  we cannot have that.  

The report yesterday was 'it will be okay'. But as we all know, day two may be more critical than the immediate aftermath.

I'll be surprised if we see Wiley before Conference.  I don't know if it is the same ankle or not (guessing it was).

Yuri Collins. 

we are seeing gordon making gains in his play like crazy.   bess is the team leader on both ends of the floor and the rock of the team.   french is so physically dominating, foreman has to be best 6th man in all the land.  thatch is already playing (except shooting 3's 😄) like an upperclassman.  but thus far we base our rhetoric concerning isabell and goodwin on past play and hopes.   as 2018-2019 billikens we can all admit they have been overall disappointing with only flashes of the brilliance they are capable of giving to the billikens.  

but last night was without a doubt more of what we all expected.   the energy for all concerned not only on the floor but the stands was fantastic and one can now get back to the hopes and dreams we had prior to the disappointment of the first month of this season.   I am amazed we sit here today with only one loss.  and one can only optimistically believe that if we can get throught his point of the schedule with only one loss playing as we have for the games thus far,  that with improvement and becoming all we can be, this could really be a special season.   these next two games are huge with two legit games.   lets see where it goes from here.  

Roy, looking at your post I wonder what it is that you are really saying in it. Look at it this way, I think the Bills can be looked at from two radically different points of view:

1. The Bills are really an elite team bursting with talent. They are having adjustment and teething problems that are in the process of getting solved (including Isabell and Goodwin).

2. The Bills are really an evolution of last year's team struggling as best as they can to claw their way up the rankings.

Given the choice between these two options, and seeing the performance the Bills put out last night, I choose option #1. By the way, in reality the Bills are somewhere in between the two options, and yes we do have things that need fixing, but the trend for the Bills points up not sideways or down 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while the thatch steal and slam was indeed epic, to me the most memorable play of the night was the french block.   had to scare the hell out of any bulldog.

Was more of a spike!!  Would have been nice to finish the break it set off.  Better then Jett's spike into the crowd, since we got  the bal on this one.

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He will be a freshman - we all remember what a freshman pg looks like even when they are McCall, Jett and Mitchell.  Be patient with him he will need some time to adjust.

I've never "seen the kid play" but he's got to be stronger with the ball against pressure than Isabell was yesterday.....

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I've never "seen the kid play" but he's got to be stronger with the ball against pressure than Isabell was yesterday.....

It is the speed of the game and the quicker hands of D1 players that require the adjustment.  His skill with handling the ball is not the issue.  I just am leery of all freshman pgs unless they are one and one types.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It is the speed of the game and the quicker hands of D1 players that require the adjustment.  His skill with handling the ball is not the issue.  I just am leery of all freshman pgs unless they are one and one types.

I know....….I had also hoped that Jacobs would be more in the mix this year...….

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't think any posters will disagree.  Isabell is a scorer, but his ball handling isn't going to get there this year.  He can shoot, somewhat.  Unfortunately I think we oversold his three point ability.  His career average is 32%.  Today he is hitting 30% for SLU.  Career he is at 76% Ft.  He is at 73% today, but that is rising.  I want only him or Bess to be at the line during the closing minutes of a tight game.

Did Ford talk Isabell into coming to SLU by 'promising' him the PG slot?  If I'm an opposing coach, I'm putting pressure on Isabell for 40 minutes.

Collins can't get here quick enough, but alas, he isn't going to appear until next fall.  I'd love to see Jacobs get a shot at PG. 

We don’t have a PG. Goodwin’s first half yesterday was his worst as a billiken. He’ll improve that going forward. There’s a reason TI has the ball in his hands at the end of the game. It’s not that he’s great - he’s our best option handling the basketball.