GDT vs Buttler

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Only negative to me was the old couple a few rows away from us who sounded like they were watching their first basketball game ever.

"Watch the time!!!" - 23 seconds left on the shot clock

"Make your free throws Hasahn" - Isabell steps up to the line

"Most teams make 100% of their free throws"

I think you were sitting next to Guy Phillips' parents.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills made our drive well worth the trip from Lakewood Ranch, FL. Loved the strong D they played today. They need to do a much better job of knocking down their FT's as the competition continues to get tougher. The atmosphere at the Chaifetz Arena was big time college basketball. The crowd was loud and really helped our team today. We did go to the Fieldhouse before the game and finally met the SLU Sign Guy, Taj79 and the Old Guy.

Glorydays2013 likes this

58 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I really like Thatch's game. Reminds me of a McCall/Jett hybrid. 

Having watched enough minutes of Thatch against Power 6 teams, I love his future.  His defense and intensity reminds me of Jimmy Butler.  He is only a freshman, and has a lot of time to develop a good shot and accumulate enough offensive skills to play in the NBA.  How good was Jimmy Buckets at Marquette his first year?  Thatch defense is so tough right now that Coach Ford can afford to play him minutes while he develops an offensive game.  The future is so bright for Thatch, he's gotta wear shades!

Schasz and Billiken Rich like this

7 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Bills made our drive well worth the trip from Lakewood Ranch, FL. Loved the strong D they played today. They need to do a much better job of knocking down their FT's as the competition continues to get tougher. The atmosphere at the Chaifetz Arena was big time college basketball. The crowd was loud and really helped our team today. We did go to the Fieldhouse before the game and finally met the SLU Sign Guy, Taj79 and the Old Guy.

Well I guess you win ‘Billikens.com Bingo’. Dang. Thought I had it! Glad you made the journey.

33 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I think you were sitting next to Guy Phillips' parents.

My brother refereed high school Jayvee boys and girls varsity basketball. Learned tonight he did a few games with Gus Phelps as the other ref...this was decades ago,

i told my brother that Gus is horrible on PA & my brother expressed surprise. A minute later, Gus reported who was coming into the game. Then, after a pause, he said, “CORRECTION.”

Unfortunately, my kiddos have made it difficult for me to make it to field house to start car bombs anymore... sorry I missed it.

i was so amped up for this game. We sat in different seats with some friends of my dads and it was a much older crowd in my section. Not many people standing or waving the towels. There was a butler couple in front of me who were very nice. My dad kept complaining about coverage of McK and I kept saying we were  locking down their biggest threats pretty well. The butler fan overheard and was saying ‘I don’t know what is going on with our guys!’

The old couple to my left did not clap or comment a single time through the entire game. The man just stared at the flag up in the rafters. I felt like their kids just dropped them off and they had no idea what was going on. 

By the last 8 minute mark the butler fans said goodbye and they just couldn’t sit through any more of this. 

I was loud and getting up a lot. Around the last 5 minutes some of the older gentlemen in my section were giving me fist bumps every time I’d cheer and a few ended up standing up.

i was so happy. What a game! 

5 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Interesting, on that replay of the Thatch steak/dunk, looked like he stepped out of bounds with the ball.

My vantage point up in 210 gives me a pretty good view right down that sideline. I'm 99% sure he DID step out of bounds and I was astounded when it not only wasn't called but there was no beef from the Butler players or bench. One of those pictures in that steal/dunk sequence above appears to show it. Hell, we get enough crap calls against us, it doesn't bother me in the least if we got one to go OUR way. It was a big play in this game.

44 minutes ago, philliken said:

Well I guess you win ‘Billikens.com Bingo’. Dang. Thought I had it! Glad you made the journey.

Am I the equivalent of the free space in Billikens.com bingo? 

The Butler board is a fun read if anyone is interested.  Bunch of little babies over there.  Lots of posts referring to us as a "middle of the road D1 program" and saying we have no chance at an A10 title.   Never seen such poor losers.    Wonder if HoosierPal cried after this game...  ROLL BILLZ.

Littlebill likes this

8 hours ago, White Pelican said:

My vantage point up in 210 gives me a pretty good view right down that sideline. I'm 99% sure he DID step out of bounds and I was astounded when it not only wasn't called but there was no beef from the Butler players or bench. One of those pictures in that steal/dunk sequence above appears to show it. Hell, we get enough crap calls against us, it doesn't bother me in the least if we got one to go OUR way. It was a big play in this game.

The Butler bench was right on top of the play - if Thatch had stepped out of bounds they would have been going crazy.  I will take their view as confirmation that the refs were right.

while the thatch steal and slam was indeed epic, to me the most memorable play of the night was the french block.   had to scare the hell out of any bulldog.

cheeseman likes this

Where I sit in section 107 it really did not seem that there was all that many Butler fans at the game.  I see more fans from many other teams in my area then were there last night.  The other thing I noticed was just how quiet their fans were in the arena.  You really did not know they were even in the building.  I realize that when your team is getting their butt whipped that it is hard to get into the game but if you claim that you are an elite basketball program your fans should behave that way.  Butler acted like they had never seen a strong defensive effort before they were lost on the floor.  I have to say that I was a bit concerned about this game after watching Butler handle FL last week but it just goes to show you still have to play the games.

Interesting statement from BenHoch in his article:

"And SLU won with a point guard, Tramaine Isabell Jr., who looked afraid to have the ball in his hands late, which could be a minor problem going forward."

Jacobs needs to be given a chance to handle the ball in a press. 

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

The Butler board is a fun read if anyone is interested.  Bunch of little babies over there.  Lots of posts referring to us as a "middle of the road D1 program" and saying we have no chance at an A10 title.   Never seen such poor losers.    Wonder if HoosierPal cried after this game...  ROLL BILLZ.

Tell them we're currently leading the Beast w/a 2-0 conference record. 

CBFan and Bay Area Billiken like this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

The Butler bench was right on top of the play - if Thatch had stepped out of bounds they would have been going crazy.  I will take their view as confirmation that the refs were right.

Agree Cheese, I sit in 210 and that is a long way up though the site line is good you would have to have Superman x-ray vision to clearly see that.

The Butler coach complained a lot to the officials throughout the game I do not think he would let something like that go especially since it was right in front of him.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

He was out of bounds and there were people on the Butler bench nearest the play making the point. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting statement from BenHoch in his article:

"And SLU won with a point guard, Tramaine Isabell Jr., who looked afraid to have the ball in his hands late, which could be a minor problem going forward."

Jacobs needs to be given a chance to handle the ball in a press. 

Isabell should be a 2. JGood back to full time PG. 

Zink and HoosierPal like this