Guy Phillips

About once a month I call his show, use a fake name ask to talk about some dumb topic and then get on the air and tell him he's the worst pa announcer ever. They usually cut me off. If he think he is witty that day he keeps me on the air and argues with me. I can never seem to get on when he has Tucci in studio with him though.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I heard some scattered boos at the game. The sad thing is the average fan at the game (ones that don’t post here) actually likes Gus and thinks that his antics are funny. 

That’s why this boards hate is ridiculous. Whether you like him or not he is a name. The non fan is probably impressed that he is our pa announcer. 

23 minutes ago, willie said:

That’s why this boards hate is ridiculous. Whether you like him or not he is a name. The non fan is probably impressed that he is our pa announcer. 

Still gotta disagree. Over the years he has consistently gotten the names of players wrong.  He treats it like an open mic night for himself rather than a job.  His ego is way too huge. 

8 hours ago, willie said:

hes horrible.    because some once a year fan doesnt know our players names or really isnt watching the game is no reason to advocate for the worst PA announcer in the world.  it is beyond amazing that this man still has this job.   shows what kind of power tucci apparently wields.at slu

Littlebill likes this

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I heard some scattered boos at the game. The sad thing is the average fan at the game (ones that don’t post here) actually likes Gus and thinks that his antics are funny. 

I booed him. He may be a great guy but he's a horrible pa announcer.  once in a blue moon he'll mention player changes and he also never mentions who the fouls are on. Isn't that why he's there?

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I booed him. He may be a great guy but he's a horrible pa announcer.  once in a blue moon he'll mention player changes and he also never mentions who the fouls are on. Isn't that why he's there?

half the time I don’t even notice him. My biggest issue with him is his introductions when his voice is one of the two focal points he just doesn’t seem excited or interested in putting forth any effort other than to blandly read his script. He doesn’t announce he just reads. 

13 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Nobody is coming to the game to hear Gus as the PA guy.  I could imagine putting up with his mistakes if he was putting butts in the seats, but that isn't happening.  His audience is a group of people among those least likely to be interested in buying Billiken tickets.

Adman likes this

5 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

When they honored him, I gave a few loud boos and my family is still laughing about it. They don't go to games very often.

I wasn’t at the game but I might have booed too, or at least not applauded. I’ll acknowledge that he does some good things in the community, and should be recognized for that, but he’s a terrible PA announcer.

A few years ago I got tired of him calling Dwayne Evans “Dwight”, so I sent him an email calling his attention to it. I thought I was courteous about it, but it really struck a nerve with him. He responded very defensively, essentially saying that anyone who claimed that he got the name wrong was making it up. While I’m far from a power player at SLU, I always thought it was really dumb of him to respond in the way we did, because he had no idea who I could have been.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I wasn’t at the game but I might have booed too, or at least not applauded. I’ll acknowledge that he does some good things in the community, and should be recognized for that, but he’s a terrible PA announcer.

A few years ago I got tired of him calling Dwayne Evans “Dwight”, so I sent him an email calling his attention to it. I thought I was courteous about it, but it really struck a nerve with him. He responded very defensively, essentially saying that anyone who claimed that he got the name wrong was making it up. While I’m far from a power player at SLU, I always thought it was really dumb of him to respond in the way we did, because he had no idea who I could have been.

Gus is a world class jerk off. The reason he never gets better is exactly your story - because he thinks he is perfect. If he took the time to learn players names/faces/numbers, he could be really good. Instead he breezes in, gives 0 effort in prep, and breezes back out. It really is strange that he cares so little about this when he is seemingly a fairly successful broadcaster. Usually folks like that take a much higher pride in their work. And if he feels it is beneath him, why does he even bother? 

SLU_Lax and DeSmetBilliken like this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Gus is a world class jerk off. The reason he never gets better is exactly your story - because he thinks he is perfect. If he took the time to learn players names/faces/numbers, he could be really good. Instead he breezes in, gives 0 effort in prep, and breezes back out. It really is strange that he cares so little about this when he is seemingly a fairly successful broadcaster. Usually folks like that take a much higher pride in their work. And if he feels it is beneath him, why does he even bother? 

probably because we overpay him.

The problem or challenge is that this is about the job. The job is public address announcer for SLU. This isn’t about Gus. Many college students have done this job well at other schools.  It wouldn’t be difficult to find a good replacement.  

It comes across as if he doesn’t care, doesn’t prepare. It comes across as if the job is not important enough  to him to do it well, or even adequately. This also means that SLU’s Athletic Department, Administration, and boosters, don’t care enough either.  There have been many years where perhaps this could have been addressed and improved upon.  This will of course be an insult to many fans, and, justifiably so.

I'm not a fan of his, never was, but he's who they've employed. Okay, I'll live with it, flubs, mispronunciations etc.

BUT, when a "bigger"  Big Time gig comes along (I'm looking at YOU, Braggin' Rights Game) he drops us like a hot rock. THAT has always bugged me.