HoosierPal

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Nm

According to the 1995-1996 yearbook, which I have open in front of me, our first season back downtown was 1994-1995 at the Kiel Center.  We were in the Old Kiel 1983-1991, then the St. Louis Arena 1991-1994, moving back into the remodeled Kiel for the 1994-1995 season.  The top 7 single game attendance records were for that 94/95 season, topping out at 21,004 for DePaul.  The new building plus the 15-1 home record did the trick.

The building was the Kiel Center until 2000 when Savvis bought the naming rights. 

1 hour ago, slu72 fan said:

The Arena

Yep in our lifetime the record will never be broken. Maybe we become Zags/X on super roids in a few decades and have to move to whatever the twa dome is named in order to fit all the fans but otherwise size of Arena way more seats then our current comfy digs. 

5 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I thought the crowd was bigger than 17k when we played at the domes few years.  If I remember right we played K-State.  Also didn’t we beat Kansas(I think they were number 11).  That would have been a big crowd.  Or are we not counting the dome?

Biggest crowd by my records was verse Illinois, 12/06/97 with 32,429.  Obviously in the Dome.  Kansas drew 22,527 on 12/23/98.

Here are some interesting double header attendance numbers:

image.png.b10679b7a3bb860bd4b665219de404ce.png

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Biggest crowd by my records was verse Illinois, 12/06/97 with 32,429.  Obviously in the Dome.  Kansas drew 22,527 on 12/23/98.

Here are some interesting double header attendance numbers:

image.png.b10679b7a3bb860bd4b665219de404ce.png

Thanks for the rundown.  I forgot IL. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It made me a little sick how many UNC fans were at the North Carolina game.

It made me a little sick the next morning to have consumed too many of those gigantic beers at that game. I may or may not have been yelling unsavory things at Poplar Bluff people in UNC gear on the way out of the game as they got on buses back to PB.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It made me a little sick the next morning to have consumed too many of those gigantic beers at that game. I may or may not have been yelling unsavory things at Poplar Bluff people in UNC gear on the way out of the game as they got on buses back to PB.

I think that game and the 03 Arizona game are a tie. Arizona fans travelled incredibly well and made a ton of noise. Plus the unfortunate way it ended. 

Class and season records update through the first four conference games (14+ games remaining):

-Javon Bess keeps inching closer to the total points for a senior season list. He needs 516 (Lewis McKinney) for 10th, so we'd need to play 34 games if he stays at his average of 15.4. So it's not out of the question if he continues to increase his scoring pace or if we go deep in the A10 Tournament and play in a postseason tournament. He'll make the 3-pointers made list if he continues his current pace. Davell Roby and Roland Gray are tied for 9th at 56, and Bess has 35 through 17 games, which would put him in the high 60s or so for a full season. His rebounding average (7.1) is short of the 8.0 mark needed for the top 10, but he has a chance to hit 234 (Gray) for the total rebounds list (he's got 120 currently). He's at 29 steals and needs 49 to tie Chris Sloan, Justin Love, and Darryl Leonard, so he'll be in the mix for that. He was in the hunt for the senior FT% list for a while, but his current rate of .769 has him well short of the .829 he needs for 10th. He's not totally out of the running for the 10th-place 3FG% threshold of .401, currently at .376.

-D.J. Foreman owns the junior class FG% record at .626, well above the second place mark of .574 (Tom Frericks), and that category is going to be a reach for him in senior class books unless something changes. He's currently at .479, well short of the .554 he needs to crack the list, but he is trending positively since my last update, when he was at .443, so you never know.

-Tramaine Isabell has slowed down from his early season steals pace, currently sitting at 19 and needing 49 to make the senior top 10 list. His point average (11.6) makes the scoring figures a lot tougher than they are for Bess, and it's a serious long shot that he'd pick up the pace enough to get into the points hunt. He's got an improving shot at senior assists (has 48, needs 102) if he picks up the pace there.

-Dion Wiley isn't going to hit any marks at this pace, and his injuiries set him back further. He's back on pace to hit minimum shot attempts for the books, but his percentages are too low right now to even mention.

-Jack Raboin would finish first in the junior class records for both FG percentage and 3-point FG percentage if he continues his current pace (a perfect 1.000 for each on 2-2 FG and 1-1 3FG) and gets to 100 FG attempts and 50 3-point FG attempts. #letjackshoot

-Jordan Goodwin's scoring (10.5 PPG, 179 TP) would have to continue its very recent sharp increase for him to sniff the sophomore season top 10 lists in points (Luther Burden is 10th at 433) or average (Joe Wiley is 10th at 14.1). He needs 212 rebounds to tie Jim McLaughlin in 10th, and he's picked up his pace enough to be back in the hunt, currently with 109. He's probably not going to get up to 7.9 RPG (Willie Reed, Dwayne Evans), currently at 6.4, but it's not totally out of the question. As of last night, he moved into a three-way tie for 10th place in sophomore steals with 37, and with one more he will bump Anthony Drejaj and Marque Perry from the list. He also should make the assists list; he has 59 and needs 97 (Charles Newberry). His percentages are not currently in play, but like his other numbers, they're finally trending upward.

-Hasahn French is slightly off his shot blocking pace from last season, but he's already skyrocketed up the sophomore list. He has 27, which has him alone in fourth and just one behind Brian Smith for third. However, Willie Reed is first at 73 and Melvin Robinson is second at 66, so he will probably not catch them unless he both increases his pace and we make a postseason run. He will crack the all-class season blocks list, though, which has Kelvin Henderson in 10th with 42. At 7.9 RPG, he's tied with Reed and Evans for 10th on the sophomore list, and he is on track for the total rebounds list (has 134, needs 212). If he continues to score at a higher rate, his FG% is back in play; he's at .456 and 10th place for sophomores is for some reason not in the public record book, but 9th is .481 (Joe Wiley).

-Carte'Are Gordon's numbers are now final. He is 9th on the freshman blocks list with 23, bumping Evans (22) to 10th and Rob Loe (20) from the list. His FG% of .542 would put him 6th all-time for freshmen, but with 83 FGA, he is short of the 100 minimum attempts requirement. His 3P% of .400 would've been good for fifth place on the freshman list, but his 5 attempts are well short of the minimum threshold of 50 attempts.

-Fred Thatch has 12 steals and needs to get to 32 to tie Anthony Bonner for 10th on the freshman list. He also has 8 blocks and needs 22 to tie Evans now that Gordon has bumped Loe's 20 from the top 10. So he's not on track currently but it's possible.

-K.C. Hankton's 3-point shooting could be in play if he can continue to get more minutes (and stay healthy). He has 16 attempts and needs 50, and while his percentage of .313 wouldn't currently be in play, this seems like a situation that could change in the back half of the season.

-Ingvi Gudmundsson, Demarius Jacobs, and Brandon Courtney are not in the hunt for any freshman records at this time.

HoosierPal likes this

Add on to Pistol's report

Last night French moved past Evans to 9th on Career Blocks with 86.  Ian V's career record of 135 will be shattered.

Today Bess would be #1 on Career Minutes per Game at 36.1.  Tommy Liddell III is second at distant 34.4 mpg.  Two and three year players are on the MPG list.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Add on to Pistol's report

Last night French moved past Evans to 9th on Career Blocks with 86.  Ian V's career record of 135 will be shattered.

Not trying to be a downer, but I want to reverse your jinx here by pointing out that we've been down this road before re: shattering the blocks record (pre-Ian with Melvin Robinson and post-Ian with Willie Reed).  Don't hatch your chickens before they can count....or something like that.

46 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not trying to be a downer, but I want to reverse your jinx here by pointing out that we've been down this road before re: shattering the blocks record (pre-Ian with Melvin Robinson and post-Ian with Willie Reed).  Don't hatch your chickens before they can count....or something like that.

Ha.  I don't believe in jinx's.  My influence on Billiken basketball kind of ends after I buy a ticket.  My statement stands.😀  (So now you have double reverse me?)

• 2 weeks later...

Class and season records update through the first eight conference games (10+ games remaining):

-Javon Bess keeps inching closer to the total points for a senior season list. He needs 516 (Lewis McKinney) for 10th, so we'd need to play 32 games if he stays at his average of 16.5. With 10 regular season games left, an A10 Tournament game should get him there, but going on a run would seal it. He'll make the 3-pointers made list if he continues his current pace. Davell Roby and Roland Gray are tied for 9th at 56, and Bess has 48 through 21 games, which would put him in the low 70s or so for a full season. His rebounding average (7.0) is short of the 8.0 mark needed for the top 10, but he has a chance to hit 234 (Gray) for the total rebounds list (he's got 146 currently) if he picks it up a bit. He's at 34 steals and needs 49 to tie Chris Sloan, Justin Love, and Darryl Leonard, so he'll be in the mix for that. He's not out of the senior FT% list, either; his current rate of .800 has him short of the .829 he needs for 10th for now. He's not totally out of the running for the 10th-place 3FG% threshold of .401, currently at .381.

-D.J. Foreman owns the junior class FG% record at .626, well above the second place mark of .574 (Tom Frericks), and that category is going to be a reach for him in senior class books unless something changes. He's currently at .484, well short of the .554 he needs to crack the list, but he is trending positively since A10 play started, so you never know.

-Tramaine Isabell has slowed down from his early season steals pace, currently sitting at 24 and needing 49 to make the senior top 10 list. In the early season, he looked like a long shot for points but now he's pretty much out of it. He's going to be close for senior assists (has 67, needs 102).

-Dion Wiley isn't going to hit any marks at this pace, and his injuiries set him back further. He's back on pace to hit minimum shot attempts for the books, but his percentages are too low right now to even mention.

-Jack Raboin would finish first in the junior class records for both FG percentage and 3-point FG percentage if he continues his current pace (a perfect 1.000 for each on 2-2 FG and 1-1 3FG) and gets to 100 FG attempts and 50 3-point FG attempts. #letjackshoot

-Jordan Goodwin's scoring (10.0 PPG, 211 TP) would have to increase sharply for him to sniff the sophomore season top 10 lists in points (Luther Burden is 10th at 433) or average (Joe Wiley is 10th at 14.1). He needs 212 rebounds to tie Jim McLaughlin in 10th, and he's picked up his pace enough to be projecting at or just above that spot, currently with 143. He's probably not going to get up to 7.9 RPG (Willie Reed, Dwayne Evans), currently at 6.8, but it's not totally out of the question. As of last night, he moved into a tie for 4th place in sophomore steals with Josh Fisher at 46, and has bumped Anthony Drejaj and Marque Perry from the list. He needs 3 more to tie Darryl Lenard, 4 to tie Kwamain Mitchell, and 13 to tie LaTodd Johnson. He also should make the assists list; he has 77 and needs 97 for 10th (Charles Newberry). His percentages are not currently in play, and too low to give him a realistic chance at any of those.

-Hasahn French is just catching up with his shot blocking pace from last season, but he's already skyrocketed up the sophomore list. His 35 blocks on the season have him alone in third, but now he sits a long way behind Melvin Robinson (66) and Willie Reed (73) for the sophomore record, so he'll have to average 3.5 BPG for the rest of the season to take Willie's record, barring a run in the A10 Tournament and/or another tournament that may allow him to average closer to 3. He will definitely crack the all-class season blocks list, though, which has Kelvin Henderson in 10th with 42. At 8.4 RPG, he's currently 8th all-time for sophomores, bumping Reed and Evans from 10th, and he is on track for the total rebounds list (has 177, needs 212). If he can approach his scoring efficiency from last season, his FG% is back in play; he's at .456 and 10th place for sophomores is for some reason not in the public record book, but 9th is .481 (Joe Wiley).

-Carte'Are Gordon's numbers are now final. He is 9th on the freshman blocks list with 23, bumping Evans (22) to 10th and Rob Loe (20) from the list. His FG% of .542 would put him 6th all-time for freshmen, but with 83 FGA, he is short of the 100 minimum attempts requirement. His 3P% of .400 would've been good for fifth place on the freshman list, but his 5 attempts are well short of the minimum threshold of 50 attempts.

-Fred Thatch has 15 steals and needs to get to 32 to tie Anthony Bonner for 10th on the freshman list. He also has 8 blocks and needs 22 to tie Evans now that Gordon has bumped Loe's 20 from the top 10. So he's not on track for either currently but it's possible.

-K.C. Hankton, Demarius Jacobs, and Brandon Courtney are not in the hunt for any freshman records at this time.

HoosierPal and Zink like this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Class and season records update through the first eight conference games (10+ games remaining):

-Javon Bess keeps inching closer to the total points for a senior season list. He needs 516 (Lewis McKinney) for 10th, so we'd need to play 32 games if he stays at his average of 16.5. With 10 regular season games left, an A10 Tournament game should get him there, but going on a run would seal it. He'll make the 3-pointers made list if he continues his current pace. Davell Roby and Roland Gray are tied for 9th at 56, and Bess has 48 through 21 games, which would put him in the low 70s or so for a full season. His rebounding average (7.0) is short of the 8.0 mark needed for the top 10, but he has a chance to hit 234 (Gray) for the total rebounds list (he's got 146 currently) if he picks it up a bit. He's at 34 steals and needs 49 to tie Chris Sloan, Justin Love, and Darryl Leonard, so he'll be in the mix for that. He's not out of the senior FT% list, either; his current rate of .800 has him short of the .829 he needs for 10th for now. He's not totally out of the running for the 10th-place 3FG% threshold of .401, currently at .381.

-D.J. Foreman owns the junior class FG% record at .626, well above the second place mark of .574 (Tom Frericks), and that category is going to be a reach for him in senior class books unless something changes. He's currently at .484, well short of the .554 he needs to crack the list, but he is trending positively since A10 play started, so you never know.

-Tramaine Isabell has slowed down from his early season steals pace, currently sitting at 24 and needing 49 to make the senior top 10 list. In the early season, he looked like a long shot for points but now he's pretty much out of it. He's going to be close for senior assists (has 67, needs 102).

-Jordan Goodwin's scoring (10.0 PPG, 211 TP) would have to increase sharply for him to sniff the sophomore season top 10 lists in points (Luther Burden is 10th at 433) or average (Joe Wiley is 10th at 14.1). He needs 212 rebounds to tie Jim McLaughlin in 10th, and he's picked up his pace enough to be projecting at or just above that spot, currently with 143. He's probably not going to get up to 7.9 RPG (Willie Reed, Dwayne Evans), currently at 6.8, but it's not totally out of the question. As of last night, he moved into a tie for 4th place in sophomore steals with Josh Fisher at 46, and has bumped Anthony Drejaj and Marque Perry from the list. He needs 3 more to tie Darryl Lenard, 4 to tie Kwamain Mitchell, and 13 to tie LaTodd Johnson. He also should make the assists list; he has 77 and needs 97 for 10th (Charles Newberry). His percentages are not currently in play, and too low to give him a realistic chance at any of those.

-Hasahn French is just catching up with his shot blocking pace from last season, but he's already skyrocketed up the sophomore list. His 35 blocks on the season have him alone in third, but now he sits a long way behind Melvin Robinson (66) and Willie Reed (73) for the sophomore record, so he'll have to average 3.5 BPG for the rest of the season to take Willie's record, barring a run in the A10 Tournament and/or another tournament that may allow him to average closer to 3. He will definitely crack the all-class season blocks list, though, which has Kelvin Henderson in 10th with 42. At 8.4 RPG, he's currently 8th all-time for sophomores, bumping Reed and Evans from 10th, and he is on track for the total rebounds list (has 177, needs 212). If he can approach his scoring efficiency from last season, his FG% is back in play; he's at .456 and 10th place for sophomores is for some reason not in the public record book, but 9th is .481 (Joe Wiley).

-Fred Thatch has 15 steals and needs to get to 32 to tie Anthony Bonner for 10th on the freshman list. He also has 8 blocks and needs 22 to tie Evans now that Gordon has bumped Loe's 20 from the top 10. So he's not on track for either currently but it's possible.

-K.C. Hankton, Demarius Jacobs, and Brandon Courtney are not in the hunt for any freshman records at this time.

pistol, i really look forward to this update each game.  thanks so much for bringing it to the board.  

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pistol, i really look forward to this update each game.  thanks so much for bringing it to the board.  

No problem, and I enjoy doing it. (Although I only do it every few games.)

Here are some add on's for Career Lists, as of today:

Bess #1 in Average Minutes Per Game played in career at 36.3 mpg.  Tommy Liddell III is a distant second at 34.4 mpg.

Bess is tied with Scott Highmark in 17th place for Average Points per Game at 14.56 ppg.  10th on the list is Bill Morris at 15.89 ppg, so top 10 is reachable.  Who remembers Bill Morris?

Bess is tied for 12th with Cody Ellis for FT% at 77.2%.  10th is John Kilo at 79.9%, so again reachable. Kilo anyone?

Foreman now qualifies with over 125 Made Field Goals threshold (he has 131) and is 3rd in Career FG% at 57.0%.  He is hitting 56.7% in conference, so he should finish in the top 10, as Kelvin Henderson is currently 11th at 52.0%.  Many on this board saw Mr. Henderson play.

French stands in 6th with Career Blocks with 94.  He should shatter Ian Vouyoukas's Career record of 135.

Spoiler alert, Goodwin with 99 Career Steals should catch Anthony Bonner's top mark of 192 before he is done.

Pistol and Zink like this

Willie Reed would've owned that blocks record by a mile had we gotten another year out of him. 73 blocks in his sophomore season is the all-time season record (Melvin Robinson's 66 as a sophomore is third), and that's just 9 blocks shy of the top 10 for a career (until now, anyway; French has bumped Tatum so 10th will now be Evans at 85). French might be able to reach third (Reed and Remekun are tied at 113) by the end of this season, and would pass Vouyoukas next season.