GDT vs Pittsburgh in Brooklyn

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The RPI has been retired.  I think the NCAA is using something called NET now.  Nevertheless, there's no way this loss hurt the Billikens in any statistical metric.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-08-22/division-i-mens-basketball-committee-adopts-new-ranking

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

5th big (counting bess as a big if needed) is our least concern.  at this point i still believe hankton and thor only see the floor in blowouts and massive foul trouble situations (which happened today).  

I do think Hankton will get Jacobs type minutes. Like not quite Thatch minutes but certainly not Thor's nonexistent minutes.

15 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The RPI has been retired.  I think the NCAA is using something called NET now.  Nevertheless, there's no way this loss hurt the Billikens in any statistical metric.

Don't remember exactly what our Kenpom was before this but pretty positive it was lower 70s and now we are 77.  So yea not much of a hit.  

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Ouch

Goodman is an idiot. All is not lost. 

In all honesty, this was a great learning experience for this team. There were drastic improvements in individual performances across the board over the past two games. They're only going to get better. Winning at least 2/3 against Butler, Houston, and Florida State will have us firmly in a top 50 position. Wins against all 3 will easily vault us into the top 25. Just have to take care of business against lesser teams.

And hopefully we've already seen the worst of the reffing this year. I want Gordon to actually be able to play...

majerus mojo likes this

These predictions of trouble for A10 and or the Bills are very similar to the financial press and the way it affects the markets: "Italy's election polls indicate a new party will take over." The market goes down. Why the US market should go down because Italy's electoral polls indicate a possible upset is beyond me. The news are largely a "look at me" series of statements by pundits, and this includes sports news.

The real situation for the Bills is that we are doing fine. We did not win this game because we lost it, not by much. Any number of factors were involved in our loss: French's FT shooting, Isabell not coming in until the second half, the 10 second turnover by Isabell, and so on and so forth. We have many games ahead to do better, not that we are not doing well now. A team cannot play competitively in a league and expect not to lose games they should reasonably have won. We are doing fine. 

Tough game but still winnable in closing minutes.  I believe we were under 2 min, game tied with the ball. Next team to score probably  wins. And we get the 10 sec half court call..... that really hurt.  Best news, Goodwin came back to life, and all of our freshman are healthy enough to play. Hopefully Isabell and the rest of the team got the message.  Post game coach said he is having the team over for Thanksgiving meal.   Ford is working hard to pull these guys together as a team.  I am thankful for that.

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

What a disappointing loss.

But honestly, I feel better about this team now than I did before the east coast trip, so that’s good.

They beat SH on the road.

Sure they lose to Pitt but they lost without Isabel for 1 half and Wiley for another. They lost with 3/5ths of their starters sitting because of questionable foul trouble.

They lost woth 2 guys getting their first minutes of the season.

A lot of things stacked up against our Bills today and they could have and really should have won.

This one stings but I feel better than I did last week.

I agree with this across the board. Tough loss, but a good road trip. They showed they can compete at a much higher level than the first 3 games, which were far too nerve wracking, and a higher level than what most (maybe all) of the rest of the A10 has exhibited so far. 

If the goal is to be the best in the A10 and be competitive with P6 opponents, then things are projecting well.

NextYearBill likes this

14 minutes ago, Compton said:

I agree with this across the board. Tough loss, but a good road trip. They showed they can compete at a much higher level than the first 3 games, which were far too nerve wracking, and a higher level than what most (maybe all) of the rest of the A10 has exhibited so far. 

If the goal is to be the best in the A10 and be competitive with P6 opponents, then things are projecting well.

Let's drill Central Arkansas and then get ready for a battle with Butler.  

I was pretty angry after this loss but then I decided to do something I never do: think positively.  A few positive notes from the game:

1) We weren't going undefeated this year. It's an early loss and we have plenty of tough non-con games left to redeem ourselves. We can still end our non-con schedule with an impressive record heading into league play.  Protect our home court and steal one or two on the road and we're heading into conference play with double digit wins.

2) We lost on a neutral court to an ACC team who is now 6-0. Pitt certainly isn't going to tear it up in conference play but this isn't a bad loss by any means.

3) We lost to an ACC team on a neutral court with our starting 5 on the bench for most of the first half. We win this game by 7 with our starting 5 getting normal minutes that first half and Wiley playing in the 2nd half.

4) We got decent minutes from players we didn't expect much from this season.

5) it looks like Hankton may actually be able to provide valuable minutes and he can apparently stroke the 3. Even better, he can make 2 free throws in a row! Hope the rest of the team takes notes. Great pass by Jacobs to the cutting JG in the first half as well. 

6) That's 2 games, 50 fouls called against us and we went 1-1 with our 1 loss by just a basket. If players can adjust to foul calls this season this should lead to less free points for our opponents. My only concern about adjusting is the fact that the refs have been atrocious this season and incredibly inconsistent. Perfect example: refs telling Ford contact had to be intentional on that forearm to Jacob's face. Against Seton Hall, refs told him the complete opposite when they called French for the foul. Despite  horrible officiating, this team has battled and hasn't let it get to them.

7) Goodwin's back baby! Okay, don't want to jinx anything here but this was by far his best game this year.

8 ) This team will rebound and destroy Central Arkansas. 

9) Everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving tomorrow! Looking forward to drinking 5 bottles of wine by myself and making my wife drive home. 

Thankful the Bills are back baby!

MattyMo213 and Zink like this

The bad thing about not winning today is that it makes the Butler and SIU games all the more important.  Really going to need win both of those now if you don’t want to have to count on pulling a big upset against FSU and winning on the road against a team like Houston. 

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I was pretty angry after this loss but then I decided to do something I never do: think positively.  A few positive notes from the game:

1) We weren't going undefeated this year. It's an early loss and we have plenty of tough non-con games left to redeem ourselves. We can still end our non-con schedule with an impressive record heading into league play.  Protect our home court and steal one or two on the road and we're heading into conference play with double digit wins.

2) We lost on a neutral court to an ACC team who is now 6-0. Pitt certainly isn't going to tear it up in conference play but this isn't a bad loss by any means.

3) We lost to an ACC team on a neutral court with our starting 5 on the bench for most of the first half. We win this game by 7 with our starting 5 getting normal minutes that first half and Wiley playing in the 2nd half.

4) We got decent minutes from players we didn't expect much from this season.

5) it looks like Hankton may actually be able to provide valuable minutes and he can apparently stroke the 3. Even better, he can make 2 free throws in a row! Hope the rest of the team takes notes. Great pass by Jacobs to the cutting JG in the first half as well. 

6) That's 2 games, 50 fouls called against us and we went 1-1 with our 1 loss by just a basket. If players can adjust to foul calls this season this should lead to less free points for our opponents. The refs have been atrocious this season and incredibly inconsistent. Perfect example: refs telling Ford contact had to be intentional on that forearm to Jacob's face. Against Seton Hall, refs told him the complete opposite when they called French for the foul. Despite of horrible officiating, this team has battled and hasn't let it get to them.

7) Goodwin's back baby! Okay, don't want to jinx anything here but this was by far his best game this year.

8 ) This team will rebound and destroy Central Arkansas. 

9) Everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving tomorrow! Looking forward to drinking 5 bottles of wine by myself and making my wife drive home. 

Thankful the Bills are back baby!

Really appreciate this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The bad thing about not winning today is that it makes the Butler and SIU games all the more important.  Really going to need win both of those now if you don’t want to have to count on pulling a big upset against FSU and winning on the road against a team like Houston. 

If coach Ford can fix the mistakes and panic in the last 4 minutes I will be confident we can beat any team any where in our schedule.

This team has not figured out how to finish a game this season it started with SEMO almost a disaster and the last 4 minutes of today's game is one of the reasons the Bills lost today.

This team has 8 players that can produce and in time could end up having 9 or 10 with Hankton and Jacobs.

I like this team I really enjoyed both games they just have to finish and we will find out if coach Ford is a good enough coach to fix it.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Well Duke got beat by a team ranked below them. I guess they are out of the tourney. 

The ACC will be a one big league look for the tweet.

I forgot about that game being on I watched the Zags last night beat Arizona.

The Zags are down 1 shooter on their team too and still beat Duke.

HoosierPal likes this