Isabell/Goodwin Article

RiseAndGrind

16 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

It was buried deep. Says there isn’t any beef with those two, just they understand their new roles and know they need to work together 

Seems so simple to me as a simpleton but why isn't the guy who isn't shooting well and is used to having the ball coming cross timeline do that and then have either or both of the 2 new transfer guards that are shooting well be fed on the outside. CG standing somewhere by the basket there to grab and score and HF there to stuff back the misses.

10 hours ago, almaman said:

Seems so simple to me as a simpleton but why isn't the guy who isn't shooting well and is used to having the ball coming cross timeline do that and then have either or both of the 2 new transfer guards that are shooting well be fed on the outside. CG standing somewhere by the basket there to grab and score and HF there to stuff back the misses.

I agree that it makes sense to have Goodwin at the point and have Isabell as a shooting/scoring guard, but Tramaine has NBA aspirations and Coach Ford has always made player development an emphasis.  Isabell declared for the NBA Draft last spring to get evaluation, and (without a doubt) his avenue to the NBA runs through successfully demonstrating point-guard proficiency.  Surely one of Ford's inducement pitches to Isabell was to help him master the point guard position and showcase him there.  Coach Ford is determined to make it work as part of the architecture of this year's team.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I agree that it makes sense to have Goodwin at the point and have Isabell as a shooting/scoring guard, but Tramaine has NBA aspirations and Coach Ford has always made player development an emphasis.  Isabell declared for the NBA Draft last spring to get evaluation, and (without a doubt) his avenue to the NBA runs through successfully demonstrating point-guard proficiency.  Surely one of Ford's inducement pitches to Isabell was to help him master the point guard position and showcase him there.  Coach Ford is determined to make it work as part of the architecture of this year's team.

What you say is very likely true, but isn't Coach also attempting to turn Goodwin into the next Marcus Smart?  

brianstl likes this

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

What you say is very likely true, but isn't Coach also attempting to turn Goodwin into the next Marcus Smart?  

Yes, supposedly, and he's working on that, too.  It's the root of the difficulty the team has been having at the outset of this season.  But Goodwin is a sophomore, and his window of opportunity will remain open much longer than Isabell's.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I would not try to psych out what Ford's intentions, plans, or strategies may be. As he showed last year he is very versatile and can change things in the course of a game. I prefer just to trust the wisdom of Ford's actions. 

This is a discussion forum.  If we can't discuss our ideas, what is it here for?  Would you have us limit ourselves to rehashing game recaps?

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Honestly Smart is an undersized bulldog of an off-guard in the NBA. He’s never been a ball dominant player at that level. Goodwin needs to improve his shooting to make it to the NBA. His ball-handling and passing are way closer to being good enough. 

majerus mojo likes this

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This is a discussion forum.  If we can't discuss our ideas, what is it here for?  Would you have us limit ourselves to rehashing game recaps?

This is my idea about Ford and his strategy, if someone does not like it they can just post something different or just ignore it. I do not want to limit anyone to anything, you are free to post whatever you wish.