The Bills over Pitt by 1

The Wiz

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK people, the game is tomorrow at noon, local time. I have been checking for the Vegas spread for this game and it is either not available or it is at "0." I suppose it may change but we are getting pretty close to the game. I think it is winnable, maybe easier to win than the game against Seton Hall.

The game is at 11.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, Bills_06 said:

Do we even know if he made the trip?  It doesn't look like he was in the team photo of the play and I could only find one highlight showing SLU's bench but don't see him there either.  

Let’s abstain from posting photos showing whether Welmer is in NY with the team...brings up bad memories of last year....

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Let’s abstain from posting photos showing whether Welmer is in NY with the team...brings up bad memories of last year....

If Billikens team was a sitcom he'd be a great character the kid always injured and around campus way too long like guy in Dazed and Confused.

3 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

During each sports segment by Maurice Drummond I’ve heard on KMOX this week he has reported that the Bills are “hosting Pitt at Chaifetz.”

Thanks for the heads up. I'll finish breakfast and head on down.

wgstl likes this

7 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

During each sports segment by Maurice Drummond I’ve heard on KMOX this week he has reported that the Bills are “hosting Pitt at Chaifetz.”

I watched that too.  All I could do was shake my head.  Completely clueless.

11 minutes ago, Quickdraw said:

What a long way we've come. we went from complaining about never being mentioned on the news to complaining about the news getting home and neutral games mixed up.(BF)

It looks like the Bills had a visit from the ghost of FT shooting Past (or Present). I am remember when working on this game...how close it was ...a ran the simulations a few times....and then remember thinking there was a good chance this could be an OT game . Many times OT games are determined by FT shooting....well, we never made it to the OT.  In the post game interview, Coach Capel said that at the 18 sec timeout he told the team if French gets the ball ...foul him....he did ...they did...  and it was over. Of course , it should be no surprise that if you have bad FT shooting ...sooner or later in a close game  it is going to rise up and bite you.....it was ...and it did....

Let's look at the pregame numbers...

"....What we need to do to win.....Stop Wilson-Fame....hold him to 14 pts and 40% shooting....low scoring game....total pts..135...Cut the TOs in half...to 12......TO diff  -2....slash ...45/ 33 / 67...Pitt slash....38/29/ -......out rebound them by 5

Bottom line...Can our defense stop their offense?  if the answer is yes ...we win....I am assuming we make our slash..."

Wilson- Frame hold to 14pts and 40%.......Split....7pts ...50%

Low scoring game....135...Fail....148....this probably made a difference

TOs....12 and diff of  -2......split....12 TOs...+3...great on total TOs  but the diff cost us 6 pts.

Slash.............45/33/67...close but no cigar....42.6/ 33.3/ 62.5....short two 2 pointers and 1 FT= 5pts missing

Pitt  slash......38/ 29/ -.....................................43.6/ 33.3/ 67.6....fail...an extra 3P and an extra 2P= 5pts......still a very close slash to ours

Reb  +5....pass....+7

Of course it was more than just %....Pitt had more than double the FT att and made an extra 13 pts on FTs...that is a lot to make up

Pitt is a good team....Both SLU and Pitt entered the game at B-...Pitt will probably finish near the bottom of the ACC...not because they are bad but because ACC is an A+ conf...if Pitt was in the A-10 it would finish near the top . 

I ran the simulation game again today...and it finished even...OT...and we lose again in OT ...because of weak foul shooting....some things don't change.

Overall we pretty much did what we were supposed to do .....so this game won't help our numbers but it won't hurt them either.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

It looks like the Bills had a visit from the ghost of FT shooting Past (or Present). I am remember when working on this game...how close it was ...a ran the simulations a few times....and then remember thinking there was a good chance this could be an OT game . Many times OT games are determined by FT shooting....well, we never made it to the OT.  In the post game interview, Coach Capel said that at the 18 sec timeout he told the team if French gets the ball ...foul him....he did ...they did...  and it was over. Of course , it should be no surprise that if you have bad FT shooting ...sooner or later in a close game  it is going to rise up and bite you.....it was ...and it did....

Let's look at the pregame numbers...

"....What we need to do to win.....Stop Wilson-Fame....hold him to 14 pts and 40% shooting....low scoring game....total pts..135...Cut the TOs in half...to 12......TO diff  -2....slash ...45/ 33 / 67...Pitt slash....38/29/ -......out rebound them by 5

Bottom line...Can our defense stop their offense?  if the answer is yes ...we win....I am assuming we make our slash..."

Wilson- Frame hold to 14pts and 40%.......Split....7pts ...50%

Low scoring game....135...Fail....148....this probably made a difference

TOs....12 and diff of  -2......split....12 TOs...+3...great on total TOs  but the diff cost us 6 pts.

Slash.............45/33/67...close but no cigar....42.6/ 33.3/ 62.5....short two 2 pointers and 1 FT= 5pts missing

Pitt  slash......38/ 29/ -.....................................43.6/ 33.3/ 67.6....fail...an extra 3P and an extra 2P= 5pts......still a very close slash to ours

Reb  +5....pass....+7

Of course it was more than just %....Pitt had more than double the FT att and made an extra 13 pts on FTs...that is a lot to make up

Pitt is a good team....Both SLU and Pitt entered the game at B-...Pitt will probably finish near the bottom of the ACC...not because they are bad but because ACC is an A+ conf...if Pitt was in the A-10 it would finish near the top . 

I ran the simulation game again today...and it finished even...OT...and we lose again in OT ...because of weak foul shooting....some things don't change.

Overall we pretty much did what we were supposed to do .....so this game won't help our numbers but it won't hurt them either.

Even though we lost Wiz the game was exciting and entertaining.  Based on what we dealt with the last 4 seasons this season is such a big difference.  Free Throws and finishing is an issue and if they fix that I believe they can win any game on the schedule.  Happy Thanksgiving

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Even though we lost Wiz the game was exciting and entertaining.  Based on what we dealt with the last 4 seasons this season is such a big difference.  Free Throws and finishing is an issue and if they fix that I believe they can win any game on the schedule.  Happy Thanksgiving

It was a great game....And you are correct things have changed....Last year we finished at D.... today we are at C+ with some good potential.

HTG2U&ALL

The bigger problem than the free throw percentage yesterday was the the free throw attempt total.  We went to the line only 16 times yesterday. That is more 10+ attempts less than we are averaging.  It is, also, pretty hard to explain considering how much we attacked the paint.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The bigger problem than the free throw percentage yesterday was the the free throw attempt total.  We went to the line only 16 times yesterday. That is more 10+ attempts less than we are averaging.  It is, also, pretty hard to explain considering how much we attacked the paint.

Yes that is the bigger problem......as a pointed out in the post above ....they made 13 more FTs than us...their extra FTM almost equaled our FTA....13 is a large amount in any game...in a 1 pt spread game ,  it is unbeatable....the fact that we lost by 2 against a good team  is a tribute to how well we played....and our future upside.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

No it isn't, we were in deep foul trouble and could not afford to foul again. We allowed almost all of Pitts layups with out challenge in the second half. 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:12 AM, drkelsey55 said:

No it isn't, we were in deep foul trouble and could not afford to foul again. We allowed almost all of Pitts layups with out challenge in the second half. 

I take it to mean that it's hard to figure out why SLU didn't go to the line more often, unless the officials were favoring Pitt heavily.

18 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I take it to mean that it's hard to figure out why SLU didn't go to the line more often, unless the officials were favoring Pitt heavily.

This is what I was referring to.  Something wasn't right....Coming into the Pitt game we were averaging 18 3/4 FTA/ gm.....In this game  Pitt had 34 FTA to our 16....Even in the SH game where SH had 31 FTA we had 30 almost a match. The computer refers to the Pitt game as an  anomaly...a game decided by a factor you have no control over. I refer to it as something not right.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

This is what I was referring to.  Something wasn't right....Coming into the Pitt game we were averaging 18 3/4 FTA/ gm.....In this game  Pitt had 34 FTA to our 16....Even in the SH game where SH had 31 FTA we had 30 almost a match. The computer refers to the Pitt game as an  anomaly...a game decided by a factor you have no control over. I refer to it as something not right.

aka "cheating"