2018-2019 20 point Watch......

Basketbill

It’s never gonna happen...maybe one day I guess. But teams are now aware of the record; especially GW. Teams will do anything to avoid falling below 20. I forget who it was years ago, but they had 19 with like 2 minutes to play and they could to make sure they had plenty of time. I think they wound up at like 25.

I'm afraid this record will belong to us in perpetuity. If a good/great team gets up on someone by 40 and the losers have 14 pts w/ 5 to go in come the walk inside but the losing coach is going to keep his regulars in being aware of how bad scoring 20 or less is gonna look. Rick didn't care. His legacy was not going to be defined by this game. It was like the movie Hoosiers. You guys are gonna do it my way. 

That game was a perfect storm: A coach who really did not care about results as much as he did about teaching and implementing his playing style. You had to have two teams of similar caliber and it had to be a conference game, if we ever see it again it won’t be during early non con games. George Washington’s defense had to be excellent to hold us to 20 points but their offense had to be bad enough(SLU offense had to be bad enough to not score 21 but our defense good enough)to keep the score close so that there was no garbage time for easy Billiken buckets. One of our greatest (shooters) of all time went 0-5 from 3. We didn’t even get outrebounded.

12 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

That game was a perfect storm: A coach who really did not care about results as much as he did about teaching and implementing his playing style. You had to have two teams of similar caliber and it had to be a conference game, if we ever see it again it won’t be during early non con games. George Washington’s defense had to be excellent to hold us to 20 points but their offense had to be bad enough(SLU offense had to be bad enough to not score 21 but our defense good enough)to keep the score close so that there was no garbage time for easy Billiken buckets. One of our greatest (shooters) of all time went 0-5 from 3. We didn’t even get outrebounded.

the famous at gw game was the result of rickma practicing the f out of the team over the christmas break. 10+ hour practices every day.   they were toast and had absolutely nothing.   legs were completely gone.   

49 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the famous at gw game was the result of rickma practicing the f out of the team over the christmas break. 10+ hour practices every day.   they were toast and had absolutely nothing.   legs were completely gone.   

That's part of 05's first point "A coach who really did not care about results as much as he did about teaching and implementing his playing style".

The game was 5 -1 GW nearly 6 minutes in.  SLU didn't score for the last 8:39 of the first half and then went 9+ minutes into the 2nd half with no FGs (only a single Barry Eberhardt FT during a stretch of almost 18 minutes).  Brutal.

16 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I was working weird hours at work at the time and was asleep for the 20 Point game. I still hardly believe it happened. I really have a hard time comprehending how a team could only score 20 points in a game. 

I didn't watch the game.  I think I had something else going on, but I remember checking the score at some point after the game was over and thinking it was only half time.  I didn't realize until the next morning that I had actually been looking at the final score.

34 minutes ago, almaman said:

What was the record before we seized it?

Found the following on the interwebz:

The previous low since the shot clock was introduced in 1985-86 was 21 by Georgia Southern in a 40-point loss to Coastal Carolina in 1997. It was matched by Princeton in a 20-point loss to Monmouth in 2005.