The Hall from the "Abomb Lounge" .....

Taj79

... somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.  Or beautiful downtown Newark if you prefer.

First off, an entertaining evening sitting next to the Abomb and Mrs. Abomb on the baseline behind the Hall's dance team.  Definitely deep in the heart of Hall country.  The Bomb (I can call him that now, less formal ... we're tight) entertained the crowd, security, ushers, the Seton Hall chaplain and various Hall recruits sitting with us, calling Cale "Iceberg," "Argula" and other varieties of lettuce all night.  He kept letting all know the Georgian was an Amish dude.  I believe Mr. Rhoden is also well-aware he made the wrong college selection.  moy is right, he was the one yelling "brick" on Hall free throws.  Quite an enjoyable night.  Mrs. Bomb shut him down when he told a kid in a Pichau hoodie not to stand ..... the kid was like three feet tall.  But everyone seemed to enjoy the good-natured ribbings.

The Prudential Center is very nice, a very modern pro arena.  They had the drapes over the upper deck and it made for as "intimate" a setting as possible.Nice crowd but as bomb said very typical to SLU.  Older.  Mostly white.  But involved.  Their student section was quite packed.  The acoustics suck but that was maybe because we were on the floor.  Jersey Bill and BilliKen joined us at Redds.  Ted (of the Pancake House) was there.  Spoke to Rammer.  Met the Foremans.  And got a win.

In my scouting of the Hall, what I saw last night mimicked that.  The number Bess and Thatch did on Powell was amazing.  Sure, he ended up with 16 but he worked his arse off for those.  The Amish kid (because I won't even try to spell that again) had a decent inside game but it was nice to see him take their final three on the night he shot 0-for-4 from distance.  He's not as big in person as he was on TV.  I thought Romaro Gill kept them in it in the first half, Ditto Quincy McKnight.  For all the ballyhoo about Syracuse transfer Taurean Thompson, he again was a no show.  Michael Nzei was also a no show.

Our defense ruled the day.  It was a two-point win in a game we dominated pretty well.  Dion Wiley started hot and provided just enough for Carte'Are to work the inside.  We were stung by the press late because, short of Isabell, no one seemed capable of handling their pressure.  JGood does not look good yet.  Don't know what it is.  Fouls never evened out and from the GDT, I see all the ref comments and second them profusely.  French got two fouls for boxing out.  BOXING OUT!   A Hall player slips and its a foul on Wiley.  Gordon gets cross-body blocked and its play on.  French's frustration and anger was palpable.  How Ford wasn't teed up is still amazing to me.  In the first half, Bess' scoring took a hit but his defense was amazing.  Ditto Thatch.  All in all, and considering we were on the road, the Team Blue I've expected showed up last night.  And that is a ton better than last year.  I want the names of those refs ----- I never want to see any of them again.  My only comment directly to them was to "keep their day jobs."  I mean, blocking out is tough enough. Blocking out two or three seven-footers is even tougher.  But it's BLOCKING OUT.  For all the stuff they did call .............. and it was a lot with 47 total fouls ............... the stuff they did call and the lack of rationale for it, vis--a-vis what they did not, was incredible.  And it all went against us.

Powell had a rough night for sure.  He went to the locker room once with what I thought was concussion protocol after colliding head-to-head with Thatch.  I didn't have a real good view of his hockey check on Gordon until this morning's video post.  How can that NOT be called.  The post game confrontation was also lost on me given my angle.  But they yanked Powell out of there and off the court before all things ended.  And the end involves the Hall players going over to the student  section and singing the alma mater song with the students.  So the lines were done and then the SLU players had to cross the line again as they made their way to their locker room as the Hall went to the students.  That's a set up looking for trouble.

We won without real contributions from sophomores Goodwin and French.  You can't contribute when you are planted on the bench in early foul trouble.  I don't think we have dreaded sophomore slumps, it's early, but it's unsettling.  Neither has really played a full game yet.  Nobody in the A10 is going to be able to handle Gordon and French together.  The Hall couldn't and they are huge.  But Willard did not play the seven-foot freshman and Thompson and Nzei were negated.  Gill is too raw right now and still a beanpole.  The Amish is limited.  

I would never want to be in that city watching a Devils game ------------- getting out of town with only 6K fans was tough enough.  Can't imagine what 20K would look like. Told bomb I really wanted a split in the NYC area this week but was not overly afraid of the Hall.  A sweep, to me,was doable.  Now best Pitt and we are possibly 6 and 0 heading into the Butler game.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself.  I really think we are playing to the level of our competition but really need our sophs to find a groove.  At least the two+ hour drive home was enjoyable with a win.

I had dinner at Edison, which was all packed in Blue .... Seton Hall blue.  My wife was visually confused.  Two guys, one a season ticket holder right behind the official scorer,row one, told me 'yeah, I know you guys are picked to win the A10, but we're the Big East.'  Nice guy.  Not snobby.  Went by me and shook hand and congratulated us on win.  With the talent Ford is bringing in, we can play with them any time.

On to the Barclays.

My guess on why no foul called on the powell check at the halfline near the end of the game is that these refs were so bad they literally didn't see it.   They followed the ball instead of watching their zone.   

We typically do the same thing when watching.  If something doesn't happen in our line of sight we dont see it.  But the refs aren't supposed to be fans and all three   following the ball.

Littlebill likes this

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

My guess on why no foul called on the powell check at the halfline near the end of the game is that these refs were so bad they literally didn't see it.   They followed the ball instead of watching their zone.   

We typically do the same thing when watching.  If something doesn't happen in our line of sight we dont see it.  But the refs aren't supposed to be fans and all three   following the ball.

Three words:

Bags. Of. Cash. 

TRN likes this

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Not sure I know the difference between a flagrant and an intentional, but rest assured what Powell did to Gordon w/ the body slam was one of the two. A running head start and a twisting broad jump into his chest can't be anything else. Punk move. 

Can that be reviewed post game for a suspension?

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

... somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.  Or beautiful downtown Newark if you prefer.

First off, an entertaining evening sitting next to the Abomb and Mrs. Abomb on the baseline behind the Hall's dance team.  Definitely deep in the heart of Hall country.  The Bomb (I can call him that now, less formal ... we're tight) entertained the crowd, security, ushers, the Seton Hall chaplain and various Hall recruits sitting with us, calling Cale "Iceberg," "Argula" and other varieties of lettuce all night.  He kept letting all know the Georgian was an Amish dude.  I believe Mr. Rhoden is also well-aware he made the wrong college selection.  moy is right, he was the one yelling "brick" on Hall free throws.  Quite an enjoyable night.  Mrs. Bomb shut him down when he told a kid in a Pichau hoodie not to stand ..... the kid was like three feet tall.  But everyone seemed to enjoy the good-natured ribbings.

The Prudential Center is very nice, a very modern pro arena.  They had the drapes over the upper deck and it made for as "intimate" a setting as possible.Nice crowd but as bomb said very typical to SLU.  Older.  Mostly white.  But involved.  Their student section was quite packed.  The acoustics suck but that was maybe because we were on the floor.  Jersey Bill and BilliKen joined us at Redds.  Ted (of the Pancake House) was there.  Spoke to Rammer.  Met the Foremans.  And got a win.

In my scouting of the Hall, what I saw last night mimicked that.  The number Bess and Thatch did on Powell was amazing.  Sure, he ended up with 16 but he worked his arse off for those.  The Amish kid (because I won't even try to spell that again) had a decent inside game but it was nice to see him take their final three on the night he shot 0-for-4 from distance.  He's not as big in person as he was on TV.  I thought Romaro Gill kept them in it in the first half, Ditto Quincy McKnight.  For all the ballyhoo about Syracuse transfer Taurean Thompson, he again was a no show.  Michael Nzei was also a no show.

Our defense ruled the day.  It was a two-point win in a game we dominated pretty well.  Dion Wiley started hot and provided just enough for Carte'Are to work the inside.  We were stung by the press late because, short of Isabell, no one seemed capable of handling their pressure.  JGood does not look good yet.  Don't know what it is.  Fouls never evened out and from the GDT, I see all the ref comments and second them profusely.  French got two fouls for boxing out.  BOXING OUT!   A Hall player slips and its a foul on Wiley.  Gordon gets cross-body blocked and its play on.  French's frustration and anger was palpable.  How Ford wasn't teed up is still amazing to me.  In the first half, Bess' scoring took a hit but his defense was amazing.  Ditto Thatch.  All in all, and considering we were on the road, the Team Blue I've expected showed up last night.  And that is a ton better than last year.  I want the names of those refs ----- I never want to see any of them again.  My only comment directly to them was to "keep their day jobs."  I mean, blocking out is tough enough. Blocking out two or three seven-footers is even tougher.  But it's BLOCKING OUT.  For all the stuff they did call .............. and it was a lot with 47 total fouls ............... the stuff they did call and the lack of rationale for it, vis--a-vis what they did not, was incredible.  And it all went against us.

Powell had a rough night for sure.  He went to the locker room once with what I thought was concussion protocol after colliding head-to-head with Thatch.  I didn't have a real good view of his hockey check on Gordon until this morning's video post.  How can that NOT be called.  The post game confrontation was also lost on me given my angle.  But they yanked Powell out of there and off the court before all things ended.  And the end involves the Hall players going over to the student  section and singing the alma mater song with the students.  So the lines were done and then the SLU players had to cross the line again as they made their way to their locker room as the Hall went to the students.  That's a set up looking for trouble.

We won without real contributions from sophomores Goodwin and French.  You can't contribute when you are planted on the bench in early foul trouble.  I don't think we have dreaded sophomore slumps, it's early, but it's unsettling.  Neither has really played a full game yet.  Nobody in the A10 is going to be able to handle Gordon and French together.  The Hall couldn't and they are huge.  But Willard did not play the seven-foot freshman and Thompson and Nzei were negated.  Gill is too raw right now and still a beanpole.  The Amish is limited.  

I would never want to be in that city watching a Devils game ------------- getting out of town with only 6K fans was tough enough.  Can't imagine what 20K would look like. Told bomb I really wanted a split in the NYC area this week but was not overly afraid of the Hall.  A sweep, to me,was doable.  Now best Pitt and we are possibly 6 and 0 heading into the Butler game.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself.  I really think we are playing to the level of our competition but really need our sophs to find a groove.  At least the two+ hour drive home was enjoyable with a win.

I had dinner at Edison, which was all packed in Blue .... Seton Hall blue.  My wife was visually confused.  Two guys, one a season ticket holder right behind the official scorer,row one, told me 'yeah, I know you guys are picked to win the A10, but we're the Big East.'  Nice guy.  Not snobby.  Went by me and shook hand and congratulated us on win.  With the talent Ford is bringing in, we can play with them any time.

On to the Barclays.

Actually laughed out loud at the ABomb part. Hilarious.

Now get us a second W on Wednesday.

#RollBills

Taj and I accounted for at least 2 pts.

Lazy passes were killer.  The defense was solid.  Their length was tough to deal with on the full court press.  They have some athletes but SLU was actually hitting shots and was slightly better.

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Two guys, one a season ticket holder right behind the official scorer,row one, told me 'yeah, I know you guys are picked to win the A10, but we're the Big East.'  Nice guy.  Not snobby.  Went by me and shook hand and congratulated us on win.  With the talent Ford is bringing in, we can play with them any time.

Aw man, this makes it even sweeter.  I remember the Jayhawk fans sitting next to us at the KU game 20 years ago who looked over at us and yelled, “That’s Big 12 basketball!” seemingly every time KU scored.  After we won, we shouted, “That’s Conference USA basketball,” and gave them the finger and whatnot.  Good times.

Anyway, thanks for keeping A Bomb out of trouble for a few hours.

A bomb, you are military. You probably love pain somewhere in your psyche. Yes man, be obnoxious against SLU's enemies and if they want to get physical trust your training. I am too old to do that any longer but there was a time...     

.