No Criminal Charges to be filed

73Billiken

1 hour ago, 73Billiken said:

I know many here, possibly myself included, were thinking/hoping that at some point in time, SLU would get hit with lawsuits after they threw out several players for something that did not lead to criminal charges. Legally speaking though, the fact that criminal charges weren't filed means little to nothing with regards to whether or not one of the players would prevail in a lawsuit against SLU.

The bottom line is that SLU, as with other universities, can set their own guidelines as to what they believe amounts to consensual behavior. It doesn't have to line up with what criminal statutes say with regard to that behavior. Therefore, there will be instances (actually probably quite a few) in which behavior will violate SLU's guidelines but fall short of violating criminal law.

Unless someone can make a civil rights case based on the players being targeted by race, I expect no lawsuits, or at least none that yield any results for the players.

William Iken likes this