The Wiz

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

What about Butler @The Wiz

would they be an easier game at home (probably sold out to Vcu 2014 levels) 

I would rate Butler the same as SH but the Butler game should be easier than the SH because we will be at home...Please note ...I said easier ...not easy

9 hours ago, aj_arete said:

I have DirecTV, but they said that they're in a contractual dispute with FS2, so it's unavailable.  I'm in SW Georgia, but curious how others are able to watch it on DirecTV.

Just read this. I'm near Peachtree City & I got it on channel 618. 

Really, SH goes as Powell goes. We pretty much double teamed him with a lot of traps. But also when Thatch or Bess was solo on him he was nullified. Thatch played strong last night and it's gonna be exciting to see him develop this year. I also expect Gordon to become more of a scoring threat as he learns the game. SH announcers were very complimentary of him last night. One thing concerns me about Gordon is his short fuse. That was a hard nosed game by both sides. Gordon held it in check during the game but in the line had it not been for Foreman he'd have likely earned a suspension. He was ready to rumble. 

Now what we have to see is French get back to scoring w/his little sky hooks and a jam or two. And see J Good get back to form. When all that happens, watch out this team is gonna put smiles on our faces. 

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The real significance of this win is that we beat a very good team..a team better than any team in the A-10 and as good a team as we will play this year....Fla St is probably similar in difficulty but I would give the edge to SH as the best quality win because we beat them at home vs Fl St which will be a neutral court. The fact that SH is better than any A-10 team lends credence to the idea of being able to capture the A-10 championship.

This.  Our team has flaws - no pure PG, lack of outside shooting (except Wiley), etc.), but at the end of the day we can beat all the other teams in the A10.  There will be tough games that we might lose even if we play well (FL St., Butler, Houston, Davidson).  Plus I’m expecting some losses when our flaws are really exposed or we have off nights.  More than a few of those and we might not be in position for an at-large.  However, we can/should still win the A10 tournament.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This.  Our team has flaws - no pure PG, lack of outside shooting (except Wiley), etc.), but at the end of the day we can beat all the other teams in the A10.  There will be tough games that we might lose even if we play well (FL St., Butler, Houston, Davidson).  Plus I’m expecting some losses when our flaws are really exposed or we have off nights.  More than a few of those and we might not be in position for an at-large.  However, we can/should still win the A10 tournament.

The fact we won this game with 24 turnovers and big time foul trouble is a great sign. I’m not worried about French. He’s been solid but extremely limited thanks to foul trouble. I am worried about Goodwin.  Absolutely love the kid, but his game is in a big time funk right now. 

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The fact we won this game with 24 turnovers and big time foul trouble is a great sign. I’m not worried about French. He’s been solid but extremely limited thanks to foul trouble. I am worried about Goodwin.  Absolutely love the kid, but his game is in a big time funk right now. 

I think you can really draw comparisons between last year and this year. Last year he was trying to carve out his role and this year he’s doing the same but in the different way. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think you can really draw comparisons between last year and this year. Last year he was trying to carve out his role and this year he’s doing the same but in the different way. 

That’s fair. We know the player he is.  He knows the player he is. Just looks like he is in hyper-speed right now and that is leading to a lot of sloppy plays.  Hopefully, he slows down a bit and regains his form sooner rather than later.

4 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

That’s fair. We know the player he is.  He knows the player he is. Just looks like he is in hyper-speed right now and that is leading to a lot of sloppy plays.  Hopefully, he slows down a bit and regains his form sooner rather than later.

I think that’s a critique you could put in for TI as well. Sometimes his brain doesn’t catch up with his basketball abilities. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think that’s a critique you could put in for TI as well. Sometimes his brain doesn’t catch up with his basketball abilities. 

For sure, probably for all of the guys except bess  and Gordon,who looks like a frickin senior out there. 

For all the sloppy plays, Goodwin still had some really nice moments.  Just need to build on those.  Also, we need to figure out how to effectively break a press.

17 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

For sure, probably for all of the guys except bess  and Gordon,who looks like a frickin senior out there. 

For all the sloppy plays, Goodwin still had some really nice moments.  Just need to build on those.  Also, we need to figure out how to effectively break a press.

One way not to break a press is having one player try and dribble through it.  Back passing and passing over the double team to the open man usually do it.  I'm not sure what our plan was. 

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

One way not to break a press is having one player try and dribble through it.  Back passing and passing over the double team to the open man usually do it.  I'm not sure what our plan was. 

Actually one man who is fast and can dribble can beat a press.  I agree passing is a better plan but it is not the only way.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Ehhh

The best bet against a man press (like SH was doing) is to have a a good ball handler or two beat a man and then find a second runner after a switch. Did you watch the Majerus era? The more bodies we have on one side of the floor means there are more defenders as well, making it difficult to break

23 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Ehhh

The best bet against a man press (like SH was doing) is to have a a good ball handler or two beat a man and then find a second runner after a switch. Did you watch the Majerus era? The more bodies we have on one side of the floor means there are more defenders as well, making it difficult to break

The best way to beat a man to man press is to clear out or have a big set a Conklin like pick. They were trapping the last ten minutes so you use a normal press break passing it back and forth or to the middle. Go long if you can and take it to the basket.

billiken_roy and HoosierPal like this

19 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I would rate Butler the same as SH but the Butler game should be easier than the SH because we will be at home...Please note ...I said easier ...not easy

We have Tix to see the Butler game. Looking forward to seeing the Bills play at Chaifetz.

In using the press the baseline and sidelines are defenders.  If trying to break a press never pass to the corner, try not to pick up your dribble and keep your head up to pass to the middle of the floor. Players do need to make themselves available for the pass though.  A few times guys weren't moving into position to receive a pass.

When they turned on that press we just weren't expecting it and it threw us off.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Ehhh

We don’t have a point guard that can handle the press one on one. You switch the ball direction to get it done. I’ve seen plenty of successful schemes to break a press, thank you. (Go ahead and give me your bad post reaction.)

Old guy likes this

I was looking at the team rankings percentage probabilities for SLU beating their opponents. I think there is only games that, as of now, we are going to have real trouble to win, the Houston game and the Kansas State game. The rest are winnable, provided we do well enough I think we are capable of winning the rest. This includes the whole season, including the A10. If things keep on going the way they are we could well be in the dance this year. How far we can go in the dance I have no idea, not yet, but we can possibly get invited to it if we keep on going the way we are going.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

When they turned on that press we just weren't expecting it and it threw us off.

Like the Spanish Inquisition. Even good teams seem to have trouble with it when it comes after playing loose beginning of the game.

MU beat another common opponent for this year Oregon State. Who may also be Old Guy's K State.