Scouting Seton Hall

Taj79

Watched last night on the Big Ten Network.  Myles Powell scored the Hall's first five on his way to 24; Michael Nzei added 13.  Essentially, those are their averages in the early going.  The rest sucked.  I know they were in Lincoln but they looked just as discombobulated as we did.  Everything runs through Powell, he launched 21 shots and went 1-of-9 from three.  He's pretty quick at 6-2 and was I believe the Big East's Most Improved Player last year.  I thought he forced a lot as the game went on.  At 6'2" do we place Bess on him as our best defender?  Or because he's a guard do we let Goodwin go at him first?  I don't know if he'll eat Isabell up but I'd stay away just because that is one heavy workload for Tramaine -- our point and defending their best.  I expect lots of time for Thatch on Saturday.  Nzei is a 6'8" senior who has supposedly improved from osmosis with practice against the Halls now-departed seniors.  He a skinny, Afrikaan jumping jack but was somewhat neutralized last night.  Those are the big two.

The Hall starts three guards and McKnight and Cale were no- shows combining for three points, one assists, one rebound, four turnovers and seven fouls in a combined 47 minutes of play.  The bench was a no show as well but displayed better than those two with nine points, 10 rebounds and two assists -----from five guys.  And the announcers kept saying the Hall was deeper than Nebraska.  Final score was 80 to 57 by the way ... 23 point loss.

The starter I missed was sophomore Sandro Mamukelashvili, a 6'10" soph from the republic of Georgia.  He did okay with 8 points and 12 rebounds but he is a lot like Ian was but without the consistent exterior shot.  Seton Hall is one thing for sure and that is big.  Besides the granite block from Georgia, they also have Syracuse transfer Taurean Thompson at 6'11" and junior Romaro Gill at 7'2".  Another Arfikaan, Ike Obiagu, from Nigeria, is also 7'1" but has yet to play this year.  Thompson was first off the bench and was in foul trouble all night.  He played like five minutes total.  Gill is extremely raw --- think Manute Bol.  But I will say it is hard to shoot over a 7'2" beanpole planted in the defensive paint. 

Overall, the Hall did not impress, but they were on the road.  As many know, they lost four seniors from an impressive class with an impressive run and their coach sounds a lot like Travis --- getting the new guys up to speed and playing with each other.  The have Powell; we have Isabell.  They have Nzei; we have Bess.  If our other parts play well -- Gordon, French, Goodwin, Foreman --- I like us better than them.  But we will be on the road for the first time.  They will be licking fresh wounds from last night.  And we shall see. 

The Hall slashed 36/13/65 last night.  They were outrebounded 44 to 38.  Two-of-sixteen from three with Powell going 1-of-9.  But again, this was their first game on the road. 

The hall should and will be favored ...... I can see a Vegas line of 7 or 8 giving a 4 point push for being at home.  I think we are a better team from what I saw .. even with our discombobulated performances to date.  Let's see what a step up in the level of competition does.

CBFan and TheDude like this

I watched about the first 15 minutes, when it was fairly close, and had similar thoughts as Taj Mahal 79 (which is scary). The big Georgian did seem to be a hog off the D boards. And Powell is a ball hog. I'd put J Good on him. Also, might want to go to the 1-3-1 to jam him up a little. Rebounding will be tougher against these guys just because of their height. Need our bigs to stay out of foul trouble, elsewise it could get ugly. I think our talent level is above theirs, but, as we've seen, talent's only part of the equation. Time to get Team Blue playing like a team. 

Reading the Seton Hall message board (https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/forums/pirate-hoops-chat.14/) and there are a lot of similar themes re: our teams (poor offense, not yet meshing, young players, etc). Didn't watch SHU v. Neb, but based on what I'm reading from their fans, it seems that first one to 60 will win the game.  

Whatever the SH fans may think, they are much better than SEMO, Troy, and N. Alabama, so let's not kid ourselves. It would be a solid resume builder come Selection Sunday, but not a killer if we lose but go on to beat Pitt, Butler, and OSU. It's time for the Bills to turn on the jell switch. 

-we have dominated the series against Seton Hall, average margin of victory of 23 points,  don't worry that the last game was played 12/16/1972 (CFord was approaching his 3rd birthday) and the other game was in 1957, clearly this bodes in our favor for tomorrow, SLU wins!