GDT: Don't Baste the Lions, Maul Them

juniorbill76

Just now, slu72 said:

Nor do I think Goodwin is the problem. The problem is we're just not a good all around shooting team. Although, I'm beginning to like Bess's shot. He's improved his touch. I do have a feeling in these next two games, we're going to need Wiley to step up and hit those 3's at a better pace. I'd expect him to get about 20+ mpg.

the problem with wiley is he literally cant guard anyone.   he has very little lateral movement at the D1 guard level.   As spoon used to apparently tell highmark, "you better outscore the guy you are guarding".   the more wiley plays the more it is sure he wont.   i dont know if wiley is still recovering from the ankle injury right before the start of the season, or this is just the lifelong result of those maryland injuries, or both.   but i just dont see him playing big minutes.   maybe he works as the "zone buster".   but even then he needs to be making more than 26% from 3 he is shooting now.  that said, that is the second best 3 pt % on the team right now which just verifies your more generic statement, "we are just not a good all around shooting team".

imo all this hand wringing is about the style we are playing.   we are likely playing slow because ford wants our bigs to get touches.   however if they dont get the ball we are then forced to throw up a shot clock induced bad shot.   get the ball down the floor.   get some easy run outs.  we have to quit walking the ball down the floor.   now if the advantage isnt there, there is no reason we cant back it out and set it up and look for french and gordon and foreman in the lane.   of course typically one of the bigs if always out above the key?  whats that about?  

i dont pretend to know what is going on in huddles and lockerooms and practice, but i see with my own eyes us forcing bad shots and playing too too slow.   for the most part there appears to be very little coaching reaction to the individual players, so it seems that would mean they are doing what ford wants them to do.  ford seems to be the guy that needs to change.  

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, billiken_roy said:

imo all this hand wringing is about the style we are playing.   we are likely playing slow because ford wants our bigs to get touches.   however if they dont get the ball we are then forced to throw up a shot clock induced bad shot.   get the ball down the floor.   get some easy run outs.  we have to quit walking the ball down the floor.   now if the advantage isnt there, there is no reason we cant back it out and set it up and look for french and gordon and foreman in the lane.   of course typically one of the bigs if always out above the key?  whats that about?  

This I agree with. We didn't have the horses to run last year, so our best option was to slow it down, get it in JGood's hands and find a way to get Hasahn the ball. This year, we have the horses to run - get our talented guys out in open court, get the other team moving, and we will find a better flow.

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

This I agree with. We didn't have the horses to run last year, so our best option was to slow it down, get it in JGood's hands and find a way to get Hasahn the ball. This year, we have the horses to run - get our talented guys out in open court, get the other team moving, and we will find a better flow.

Plus, we have some bigs that can play in the open court.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Plus, we have some bigs that can play in the open court.

Exactly. It isn't like we're throwing Voyoukas or Husak out there. I just have a feeling if we give Are Gordon and French some space to work - 1v1 at top of key - I think we would be pleased with the results

Maybe, and this might be a stretch, Ford just didn't want to show too much to our next two opponents. Just telling our guys to work on our set offenses these first 3 games, then suddenly they pick it up against two big opponents who haven't seen us get out and run. We certainly have the horses to push it. I find it a little strange we aren't doing it. 

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Maybe, and this might be a stretch, Ford just didn't want to show too much to our next two opponents. Just telling our guys to work on our set offenses these first 3 games, then suddenly they pick it up against two big opponents who haven't seen us get out and run. We certainly have the horses to push it. I find it a little strange we aren't doing it. 

Zero chance

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We are pretty well running the same offense we ran last year.  Do the weave for a while, dribble/pass around the outside, attempt to pass inside, then take whatever shot you can off of a pick a big tries to set as the clock winds down.  There are no secrets.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We are pretty well running the same offense we ran last year.  Do the weave for a while, dribble/pass around the outside, attempt to pass inside, then take whatever shot you can off of a pick a big tries to set as the clock winds down.  There are no secrets.

Not anymore :)

56 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This. It crossed my mind. Work on the half court offense against lesser teams. I hope this was the case.

15 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This. It crossed my mind. Work on the half court offense against lesser teams. I hope this was the case.

I agree with this in that I don’t think he’s hiding anything from big teams but he is taking advantage of lesser teams. It would also explain the head scratching slow downs when we did have numbers