GDT: Don't Baste the Lions, Maul Them

juniorbill76

1 minute ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

This teams issue is the ability for Goodwin and Isabell to play together, like many have said. My take is that Goodwin has a harder time passing to Isabell than the other way around. If all these guys would just play within the offense, everybody would get their points. I think Goodwin is trying too hard to get points while Isabell isn't being put in a position to score . I actually think Isabell is TRYING to get the offense going but just doesn't know how to right now. He has had some really nice passes that I haven't seen anybody else do (i.e. that sweet pass to Foreman for the flush). I don't think the team has really embraced Isabell (just my opinion from chemistry on the court) and what he can do. 

Run the offense, look for the open man, take a shot, stop all the 1 on 1/stagnation and we'll be a tough team to beat.

Out of reactions, but good post Nash. 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Ford has given the guys too much to digest early on. Maybe the game plan just needs to be simpler.  Because right now, there’s a lot of passing along the perimeter combine with confusion that is leading to too many tough outside shots as the clock winds down. 

Also, French and CAG are still adjusting to their revised roles without Santos.  Sure would like to have Santos on this team, which would free our other bigs up, which would then free up shooters for better shots. Oh well, can’t dwell on that too much. 

If Goodwin and Isabell can’t coexist then I say split them up and have them run the offense at different times. 

Goodwin has been bad in 2 of the 3 games, there's no getting around it. Hopefully he can ditch the mask soon and get back to being himself. The spacing and ball movement need a lot of work. Really makes you appreciate the precision with which the RM teams played with. A couple of other early season observations about Ford - when things are stagnant in the half court offense, I wish we'd turn up the pressure more on the defensive end with double teams and traps, maybe even mix in the press a bit. We're supposed to be an athletic team, right? Let's push that advantage and try to create some scoring opportunities off turnovers. I think it could also be a good way to get Thatch more involved and be disruptive on defense. Also, the passion from Ford during the previous two seasons when we were typically undermanned underdogs was great, but I wish he'd keep his cool a little more. The technical didn't help. He's so fired up and the team seems uptight when they make mistakes. The glorified practice games are over now, so time to step it up.

TheChosenOne likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

The technical didn't help. He's so fired up and the team seems uptight when they make mistakes. The glorified practice games are over now, so time to step it up.

TF has been very active with the hook anytime someone makes a mistake. This has hurt the offense.

JMHO

1 hour ago, slusam said:

I think Thatch came in for Wiley after he missed the 2 freethrows. Thatch brought some energy and Ford said he was second on the team in plus minus. Goodwin had a bad game. It happens.

Thatch was the third best player on the court last night for the Billikens in the minutes he got behind French and Bess.  He finished +11 in box score +/-.  That was second best on the team behind French's +14.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Thatch was the third best player on the court last night for the Billikens in the minutes he got behind French and Bess.  He finished +11 in box score +/-.  That was second best on the team behind French's +14.

Foreman was the best player on the court last night. 

Glorydays2013 likes this

first three games

2017 - 22% / 7% / 69%     -----  ppg 11 - ast 4 - rb 8

2018 - 38% / 22% / 50%   ---- ppg 10 - ast 3 - rb 6

For obvious reasons hes taking far less shots, especially from 2, but is offensive efficiency is up. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Foreman was the best player on the court last night. 

I thought Foreman was bad defensively last night. Like really bad.  He got beat multiple times, looked soft trying to rebound and just looked slow on that end of the court. He didn't get his second rebound until there was less than six minutes to go in the game and he finished with 2 boards in 32 minutes of play.  He was outstanding offensively not just getting his own points, but he, also, did a great job setting others up.

47 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

If the player who gets the rebound leads the break, seldom will it be a break.  It's quicker moving the ball by a pass than on the dribble.  Unless the rebound comes long, the player who corrals the rebound usually has too many opposing players between himself and the basket to have a viable fast break.  A good fast break team will have an outlet man to receive the outlet pass from the rebounder, who should take off to fill one of the lanes on the break.

Good point.  What I mean is that if a guard rebounds it they should take 1-2 dribbles and pitch ahead to another guard like you said.  This would be a more even split of Isabell to Goodwin and Goodwin to Isabell than what we currently have.  Seems we're always throwing an outlet pass instead of a pitch ahead. 

Isabell is getting a lot more grief than Goodwin, which I understand from the board’s standpoint, but it should be much closer to a 50/50 share. Goodwin’s jumper is just not good right now (again), and our strength is in the post, essentially clogging his ability to get to the rim.

Again, it’s game 3 for a team that returned 4 players from a year ago. If you were expected a well-oiled machine at this point maybe have a few less drinks during the GDTs 😂 (though they make for enjoyable reads). 

A second “unit” with Isabell-Thatch-Foreman could be a decent idea. Definitely need some work in the transition game.

Additional PSA: ESPN+ allows you to rewatch entire recent games. It’s great

16 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Isabell is getting a lot more grief than Goodwin, which I understand from the board’s standpoint, but it should be much closer to a 50/50 share. Goodwin’s jumper is just not good right now (again), and our strength is in the post, essentially clogging his ability to get to the rim.

Again, it’s game 3 for a team that returned 4 players from a year ago. If you were expected a well-oiled machine at this point maybe have a few less drinks during the GDTs 😂 (though they make for enjoyable reads). 

A second “unit” with Isabell-Thatch-Foreman could be a decent idea. Definitely need some work in the transition game.

Additional PSA: ESPN+ allows you to rewatch entire recent games. It’s great

My frustration with Isabell is what appears to be him dribbling with no purpose or intent. He looks like he's going to turn on the burners when he receives the ball in the backcourt and then just lazily dribbles around the perimeter.

GoBills73 likes this

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

On an overall basis Isabell has been the second best player on the team through the first three games. I would like to see him improve on somethings.  Outside of the SEMO game, I really don't don't think he has been a major problem with the offense.

Nor do I think Goodwin is the problem. The problem is we're just not a good all around shooting team. Although, I'm beginning to like Bess's shot. He's improved his touch. I do have a feeling in these next two games, we're going to need Wiley to step up and hit those 3's at a better pace. I'd expect him to get about 20+ mpg.