Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-I hope history doesn't repeat, and this has recently been discussed on the Board in some thread, but it might be wise to remember the first year play of our jucos when having expectations for Perkins, who I hope is a star from day 1

Perkins is a much better scorer than Kevin Footes, who was a fairly great scorer as a junior juco transfer under Grawer’s intense micromanagement.

He chafed Grawer something fierce, and spent far too much time on the bench due to his perceived indolence at defense.

Footes was Bonner’s final year and Skinner’s freshman year. He hit 14 pts a game both years, averaged 4.3 rpg, and 2.7/4.3 apg his Jr/sr years.

Great quote from Momma Bell.  She gets what the value of a scholarship means to her son and her family.  Love that she mentioned a "four year scholarship" which in my mind translates into "he better get his degree out of all that free college" and that she expects him to be here for four years.  Looking forward to seeing Momma Bell behind the bench for all four years of those years.

48 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Great quote from Momma Bell.  She gets what the value of a scholarship means to her son and her family.  Love that she mentioned a "four year scholarship" which in my mind translates into "he better get his degree out of all that free college" and that she expects him to be here for four years.  Looking forward to seeing Momma Bell behind the bench for all four years of those years.

I'd go further, Momma Bell should be given, at least occasionally, free tickets for local games to make sure she can attend to a number of the games.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I'd go further, Momma Bell should be given, at least occasionally, free tickets for local games to make sure she can attend to a number of the games.

Players are allotted like 4 tickets to every game(home and away). Most of the time players won't use them and will put other players guests on the list.

Corey Tate was on with Frank C this AM.

He couldn't talk about Lewis as he hasn't signed.

Talked very positive about Collins. Commented on his instincts that can't be taught.  Called Goodwin their Power Point Guard and Collins the Natural Point Guard. Collins just makes everyone better.

Hargrove: "out of all the kids, he will has the chance to be the best pro".  He doesn't 'have a position' but will grow into one. 

Perkins: at 6'7" he can play multiple positions, he can play PG.  Coach likes players who can play multiple positions. He can score, shoot the ball and rebound.

Van Macon started the recruiting of Isabell, but Tate brought him in. Coach never gave up on Isabell, he was always positive with him.

Frank asked about transfers, JUCO or HS recruits for the two open schollies.  Tate: " There is no formula for recruiting.  We know what we need.  However they come doesn't matter."

Corey said it was kind of rough when he left Mizzou. Tate said that he is pretty sure if SLU has a commit, Martin wouldn't go after him, and vice versa.

No regrets on bringing in Gordon.  "We are still here for him." 

Discussion on starting lineup next season:  Frank has Thatch and Goodwin in.  Tate wouldn't bite, didn't want to guarantee anything" but said core of the team starts with Thatch, Goodwin and French".  What can you do French FT?  "Just practice.  Most of the issue is from the shoulders up.  His mechanics are good." 

A little trash talk between Frank and Corey on Pattonville v DeSmet.

Tate said that Coach Spoonhour and Coach Stewart were in his living room at the same time recruiting him.  Spoon had the appointment, and Stewart came anyway.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2019/04/18/segment-4--corey-tate-41819

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hargrove: "out of all the kids, he will has the chance to be the best pro".  He doesn't 'have a position' but will grow into one. 

Perkins: at 6'7" he can play multiple positions, he can play PG.  Coach likes players who can play multiple positions. He can score, shoot the ball and rebound.

This surprises me a little.  Given everything Ive heard about Perkins along with his size, the sounds like a pro. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This surprises me a little.  Given everything Ive heard about Perkins along with his size, the sounds like a pro. 

Perkins is the more experienced, better scoring, more complete player right now. Hargrove is the one with the higher ceiling, though.

Zink likes this

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tate said that Coach Spoonhour and Coach Stewart were in his living room at the same time recruiting him.  Spoon had the appointment, and Stewart came anyway.

He didn't indicate when Lewis would sign, did he? I know he can't mention him by name, but I don't see why he couldn't say "We have a player who should be signing this weekend" or whatever.

Stewart was such a jerk.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

You can be a do everything wing in the A10 without being a pro.  Pretty much every team in the top 25 has someone like Perkins.  It's pretty rare in the A10, though.  That's why I love the fit.

Zink likes this

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Talked very positive about Collins. Commented on his instincts that can't be taught.  Called Goodwin their Power Point Guard and Collins the Natural Point Guard. Collins just makes everyone better.

Van Macon started the recruiting of Isabell, but Tate brought him in. Coach never gave up on Isabell, he was always positive with him.

Frank asked about transfers, JUCO or HS recruits for the two open schollies.  Tate: " There is no formula for recruiting.  We know what we need.  However they come doesn't matter."

Corey said it was kind of rough when he left Mizzou. Tate said that he is pretty sure if SLU has a commit, Martin wouldn't go after him, and vice versa.

Discussion on starting lineup next season:  Frank has Thatch and Goodwin in.  Tate wouldn't bite, didn't want to guarantee anything" but said core of the team starts with Thatch, Goodwin and French.  What can you do French FT?  "Just practice.  Most of the issue is from the shoulders up.  His mechanics are good." 

good stuff!  thanks for posting.   no matter how much of a home frank is, he is a great communicator for all things billiken.   we dont give him enough credit. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Perkins is the more experienced, better scoring, more complete player right now. Hargrove is the one with the higher ceiling, though.

Agreed.  I dont know, just something about a athletic 6'7 shooter that seems to always gets NBA exc happy

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Discussion on starting lineup next season:  Frank has Thatch and Goodwin in.  Tate wouldn't bite, didn't want to guarantee anything" but said core of the team starts with Thatch, Goodwin and French.  What can you do French FT?  "Just practice.  Most of the issue is from the shoulders up.  His mechanics are good." 

I don't believe for a second that Cuonzo would back off of SLU commits.

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't believe for a second that Cuonzo would back off of SLU commits.

I do. If he creates that kind of bs Ford can just call him out publicly and have SLU play Missouri and without their stars they once had, they will be humiliated. 

I do believe he might not tell his helpers to lay off directly though and let them do it if he isn’t involved. 

My point is, it wouldn’t serve any of them any good to do that 

slu coaches will not look good calling out poacher martin or his staff.   if the recruit wants to tell the world,  that's fine, but slu has to stay out of that.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

He didn't indicate when Lewis would sign, did he? I know he can't mention him by name, but I don't see why he couldn't say "We have a player who should be signing this weekend" or whatever.

No.  Lewis was the first item Frank brought up, and then Frank said something like, "Are you allowed to talk about him?  We don't want to get you in trouble."  Tate took the 5th.

4 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Does Grandy have a connection with Jimmy Bell? He posted SLU’s article about signing him. I didn’t think Grandy was still connected with the SLU program so my assumption he might know Jimmy 

Grandy Glaze got his degree from Saint Louis U., so it stands to reason that he would have some interest in the school and program.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I do. If he creates that kind of bs Ford can just call him out publicly and have SLU play Missouri and without their stars they once had, they will be humiliated. 

I do believe he might not tell his helpers to lay off directly though and let them do it if he isn’t involved. 

My point is, it wouldn’t serve any of them any good to do that 

Ford can't just have SLU play Mizzou. You get that right?