Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

JFC we have a hoops expert blowing his load over one of our recruits and this thread can’t stop talking about Mizzou 

Agreed. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Who give a flying F what some twitter Mizzou fan says. And don't turn a prospects thread into a Mizzou discussion.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always been a little cautious about slotting these freshmen for big minutes but the more I watch of Hargrove the more it seems like he’ll absolutely find ways to contribute. He, Thatch and Goodwin have the makings of a lethal defensive trio.

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, let's lose the little brother act already.

Terrence Hargrove is a stud. He destroyed a 30-win team in the state championship and took it for his damn self. He did what Darius Miles couldn't. He brought East Side basketball back to the glory days of...over a decade before he was born.

Yuri Collins is a stud. He came within 6 points of singlehandedly dismantling an entire state while he was on 1.5 legs. He went through the class 4 playoffs like he put NBA Live on Easy mode and he had a cheat code. His offensive usage rate was 100%. All baskets go through Yuri.

Let Mizzou fans play the "Coulda had Ahearn" game with SLU players and ignore the mouth breathers over at Tigerboard. We have the Tournament to worry about.

I’m going to liquify this post, inject it straight into my veins and pass out in a knights inn bathtub in San Jose.

I'm excited about this class because it cements the long-term success of this program if we are able to keep them.  Whether they are "big impact" players as freshmen is of very little consequence.  What's important is that stay long enough to become impact players.  To develop into all-conference players, your best freshmen have to play .  Ten minutes a game playing behind grad transfers isn't going to cut it.
"

Pistol and Zink like this

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm excited about this class because it cements the long-term success of this program if we are able to keep them.  Whether they are "big impact" players as freshmen is of very little consequence.  What's important is that stay long enough to become impact players.  To develop into all-conference players, your best freshmen have to play .  Ten minutes a game playing behind grad transfers isn't going to cut it.
"

Absolutely!  The fact that we are salivating over our recruits AND half of them are local kids is something that hasn't happened around here in a long time.  This is what is going to make Billikens basketball the hottest thing in town. Marginal fans get excited with the local angle.

Clock_Tower likes this

6 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Absolutely!  The fact that we are salivating over our recruits AND half of them are local kids is something that hasn't happened around here in a long time.  This is what is going to make Billikens basketball the hottest thing in town. Marginal fans get excited with the local angle.

I know it’s anecdotal but so many “casual” fans or fans of Yuri/TJ have told me they can’t wait to get to a game next year. Couple that with the late season excitement and NCAA tournament, and I’m suddenly very optimistic for next season. 

4 days. Man. Rightly or wrongly - changed everything ha. 

majerus mojo likes this

9 hours ago, NH said:

I’ve always been a little cautious about slotting these freshmen for big minutes but the more I watch of Hargrove the more it seems like he’ll absolutely find ways to contribute. He, Thatch and Goodwin have the makings of a lethal defensive trio.

What about Perkins?

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I know it’s anecdotal but so many “casual” fans or fans of Yuri/TJ have told me they can’t wait to get to a game next year. Couple that with the late season excitement and NCAA tournament, and I’m suddenly very optimistic for next season. 

4 days. Man. Rightly or wrongly - changed everything ha. 

Sorry but who is TJ?

Yuri and TJ coming avoids the dreaded gap year, where in the past we almost always missed on stacking classes. We stacked with Bonner/Gray era, Highmark/Dobbs era, under Majerus via developing players, and now. Hopefully we can go from a two year stack of the past to an every year stacking recruit class.

When you stack multiple players each year in three or four successive classes, you suddenly are in the big dance for multiple consecutive years.

The stacked players and the program system make the Dance ticket inevitable. Retaining Ford, so we can continue stacking classes, and continue having the toughest team and best defense in the conference, while augmenting our shooting skills, is the yellow brick road.

12 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

What about Perkins?

I haven’t seen him play, but based on what I’ve read and his production at SWIC, I expect Perkins to be a starter and key contributor. I wouldn’t even be shocked if he led us in scoring. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

"

I'm hoping Travis has now figured this out. Let these youngsters develop. Don't discourage them by giving their minutes to a rent a player. That said, a GT big to give French some breathers is not a bad move. 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'm hoping Travis has now figured this out. Let these youngsters develop. Don't discourage them by giving their minutes to a rent a player. That said, a GT big to give French some breathers is not a bad move. 

I think we must have two GT's so that we have 13 scholarship players on the roster and we have 2 scholarships for 2020 because the GT's will be the only seniors playing next season.

Once the classes are balanced with seniors then we should go the route of freshman only recruits unless a real special GT out there that will help get us to the final four.

I am so excited about the incoming class and even more excited if Carpenter would commit.

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think we must have two GT's so that we have 13 scholarship players on the roster and we have 2 scholarships for 2020 because the GT's will be the only seniors playing next season.

Once the classes are balanced with seniors then we should go the route of freshman only recruits unless a real special GT out there that will help get us to the final four.

I am so excited about the incoming class and even more excited if Carpenter would commit.

Why would we want Carpenter (a 3 guard who will have 4 years of competition) if we already have Perkins, Hargrove, Jimerson, Thatch, Jacobs but not a GT guard (1 year of competition)?

10 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Why would we want Carpenter (a 3 guard who will have 4 years of competition) if we already have Perkins, Hargrove, Jimerson, Thatch, Jacobs but not a GT guard (1 year of competition)?

And Goodwin if Yuri at PG?  

3 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Yuri and TJ coming avoids the dreaded gap year, where in the past we almost always missed on stacking classes.

When you stack multiple players each year in three or four successive classes, you suddenly are in the big dance for multiple consecutive years.

The stacked players and the program system make the Dance ticket inevitable. Retaining Ford, so we can continue stacking classes, and continue having the toughest team and best defense in the conference, while augmenting our shooting skills, is the yellow brick road.

Sheltie, I agree with your concept about stacking classes being important to building a consistent, long-term program, much like the Gonzaga's/Xavier's/Nova's and I am excited about next year's class, but I don't think we are in year 3 of stacking classes.  Year one-yes (2 outstanding FR starters) year two - no (I can't say that as of what we know now it was a stackable class with just one contributor FT).  Next year (2019) looks great and let's hope he can bring in 2-3 really good players for the 2020 class 

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

That"s why I've been supportive of a grad transfer big for the past two months. You're not holding back a project big's development. They take forever to develop anyway.

But guards are different. When's the last time we had a guard become an all-conference player who only played 10 minutes a game as a freshman? It doesn't happen at SLU and it rarely happens at any other mid-major either. If you're not playing, you're going to get passed by other guards in the conference who are.

31 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Watching Carpenter's highlight tape I think of him as more of a Dwayne Evans undersized 4 type player that can step out a little bit which we could use.

39 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Fair enough clock tower I agree with that.

When I look at recruits with my limited knowledge that I think would lean towards committing to SLU I think Carpenter is probably the best highschool player out there but I could be wrong.

3 Grad Transfers balances the class also giving us 3 seniors next season.