Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

12 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

37 points, 11 assists, 3/5 from 3, and 10/10 from the line.

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/boxscore.php?s=746&e=618333

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Final: St. Mary's 95, Hillsboro 46.  Collins outscored Hillsboro by himself through 3 quarters, 37-36.  Also stole the ball repeatedly and handed out a bunch of assists.  St. Mary's starters were taken out a minute into the 4th quarter with the score 87-36.  

Hillsboro was 24-3 entering the game, including a win over Mehlville.  However, their squad was just as small as the Dragons and couldn't handle the ball under pressure.  They got exposed, in a huge way.  And it didn't help that St. Mary's was on fire from deep.

Obviously Yuri isn't going to be able to score this easily next year but he will put pressure on defenses to stop the ball.  That will give our offense a dimension we didn't have before.  

giphy.gif

Collins is in absolute takeover mode. He's a senior, he's finally at full strength, and he wants to win. I had a feeling St. Mary's had the most deceptive record in Class 4 and would be a lot to handle, but man, I wouldn't want to play against Collins right now.

He left the game in the fourth quarter with more points than the other team. I can't get over that.

Edit: He also didn't have a turnover. 11 assists, 4 steals, 0 turnovers. This was the best game of his HS career (so far).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Hargrove and East St. Louis are still alive after a 61-52 win over Herrin. Hargrove finished with 16 points (7-17, 1-5, 1-1), 10 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 6 turnovers. They'll play the winner of Highland and Mascoutah on Friday; the Highland-Mascoutah game is tonight. All games are at Mascoutah.

SWIC has yet to post stats from the games, but it looks like they beat SEIC 84-61 on Monday and lost to John A. Logan 73-62 last night. I'll update this post with Perkins' stats when they become available. His season is over, so I'll also post his full-season stats.

9 hours ago, Schasz said:

Yuri Collins has shown he can score in HS. How does that translate to college ball and the A-10. He's 5'11" can he play good defense at this level? 

He's the same size as Kwamain. Is he as good as KM coming out of high school?

12 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Better than Courtney Ramey?

Ramey had good size, and a pretty good shot.  As good as Ramey is, it sounds like Yuri is a better play maker. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Yes.  If a player can stay in front of his man and has either an all-around game or a well-defined skill, he is D1 ready IMO.  This applies to every freshman, not just Yuri.  Goodwin and Thatch had good all-around games, French can really rebound, etc.

All three of the freshmen that we've signed fit my definition of D1 ready.  Whether that means 12 minutes or 25 minutes a game is up to the coach.

To answer the questions from @ACE and @Schasz, I'm bumping this quote from @3star_recruit.

Yuri can stay in front of his man, has a good all-around game and at least one elite skill (passing, although you can make an argument for less tangible things like vision, timing, feel, etc.).

I'm not sure I'd compare him to either Ramey or Mitchell. Ramey was a much higher-level recruit. He's the kind of PG that is more exciting as a next-level prospect. He's got a good 4 inches of height over Collins with more length and athleticism. He's having a good freshman year, too; he didn't do much Monday night against Texas Tech but he had 17 points and 10 assists last week at Baylor. He's averaging about 8, 3, and 3 on the season. He'll make a nice leap next year, too, after Kerwin Roach - Texas' leading scorer and senior guard - graduates.

Mitchell is more of a scorer than Collins, although Collins' recent performances might lead you to believe otherwise. He averaged 12.7 PPG for his career at SLU and I don't think that'll be the case with Collins. Collins is a pure point guard. They look a lot different on the floor despite being the same height.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

different player.   until just recently yuri was a pure old school point guard more interested in running the team passing etc.   lately his scoring has been incredible, i havent personally viewed in these last few weeks but i am sure 3 star has.   i envision his points have come on drives more than shooting ala jordair instead of mitchell.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

different player.   until just recently yuri was a pure old school point guard more interested in running the team passing etc.   lately his scoring has been incredible, i havent personally viewed in these last few weeks but i am sure 3 star has.   i envision his points have come on drives more than shooting ala jordair instead of mitchell.  

My only worry, is Yuri quick? Cant be that short and not quick 

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yuri's game is built is forcing you to stop the ball. If you don't, he'd going to the basket. If help comes, he's going to find the open man.  Kwamain had more a score-first mentality. Who's "better" depends on what you want from your point guard.

Zink and billiken_roy like this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My only worry, is Yuri quick? Cant be that short and not quick 

my first hand views of yuri is he isnt slow but he isnt polk fast either.   he is a smart heady player that just knows how to play and uses his body and angles to make things happen and plays hard.   again, jett, even lisch are better comparisons for his playing the floor.   

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri's game is built is forcing you to stop the ball. If you don't, he'd going to the basket. If help comes, he's going to find the open man.  Kwamain had more a score-first mentality. Who's "better" depends on what you want from your point guard.

I know they are different types of players - I remember the reports of Mitchell coming out of high school were that he was not a "pure" point guard - which is exactly how Collins is described.

My question is... is Collins the same-caliber of player who can make a significant impact as a freshman the way Mitchell did? It seems like Collins has exceeded expectations his senior HS season, especially considering he was coming back from injury.

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

here is the replay of last nights game:

http://www.citylinktv.com/channel/prepcasts-stl-channel-8-smsn/

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I know they are different types of players - I remember the reports of Mitchell coming out of high school were that he was not a "pure" point guard - which is exactly how Collins is described.

My question is... is Collins the same-caliber of player who can make a significant impact as a freshman the way Mitchell did? It seems like Collins has exceeded expectations his senior HS season, especially considering he was coming back from injury.

Mitchell played 32.2 MPG as a freshman. Unless Collins is way better than anyone realizes, that's not happening for him. Mitchell was handed the starting PG job when he showed up. He had nothing but opportunity. He joined Lisch, Liddell, and a bunch of freshmen.

It's not a knock on Collins to say that he won't have the same immediate impact. The cupboard isn't quite as bare as it was when Mitchell showed up at SLU - even if it's way more bare than we would've expected at this point.

3star_recruit likes this

23 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Sweet mother of perpetual help....I clicked on the link and fast forwarded to about 1/3 of the way through that video. First play I see:

Collins inbounds the ball under his offensive basket, throws the ball off the guy supposedly guarding the inbound, grabs it, makes a layup, is fouled.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:43 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Hargrove has huge upside but I don't think you want to start him at the 4 right now.  For a 6'7 player, he's a low percentage scorer in the paint in high school.  And his perimeter shot isn't consistent enough right now to be a stretch 4.  How is he supposed to score in the half court in the A-10?  

Bring him off the bench as an energy guy as a freshman, add 15 lbs to his frame in the summer and he will be the 4 you're looking for.

Pistol likes this

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not sure how to answer this question.  What do you mean by significant impact?  Wins? Team scoring average? 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Frank opened his show gushing about Collins. Of course this isn't the first time he has been jazzed about a local recruit. For those who are into following recruiting way into the future - Frank said he talked to Collins' dad who mentioned that he has a 13-year-old and 12-year-old and dad thinks both will be better than Yuri.

51 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Sweet mother of perpetual help....I clicked on the link and fast forwarded to about 1/3 of the way through that video. First play I see:

Collins inbounds the ball under his offensive basket, throws the ball off the guy supposedly guarding the inbound, grabs it, makes a layup, is fouled.

I remember seeing Larry the Legend do that in a game.

drkelsey55 likes this

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Frank said he talked to Collins' dad who mentioned that he has a 13-year-old and 12-year-old and dad thinks both will be better than Yuri.

Thats, an interesting thing to say about your kids. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Mitchell played 32.2 MPG as a freshman. Unless Collins is way better than anyone realizes, that's not happening for him. Mitchell was handed the starting PG job when he showed up. He had nothing but opportunity. He joined Lisch, Liddell, and a bunch of freshmen.

It's not a knock on Collins to say that he won't have the same immediate impact. The cupboard isn't quite as bare as it was when Mitchell showed up at SLU - even if it's way more bare than we would've expected at this point.

It's a crazy thing to ask of a freshman - "will he be as good as arguably the best player in modern billiken history?"

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

Frank opened his show gushing about Collins. Of course this isn't the first time he has been jazzed about a local recruit. For those who are into following recruiting way into the future - Frank said he talked to Collins' dad who mentioned that he has a 13-year-old and 12-year-old and dad thinks both will be better than Yuri.

Oh baby