Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yes.  If a player can stay in front of his man and has either an all-around game or a well-defined skill, he is D1 ready IMO.  This applies to every freshman, not just Yuri.  Goodwin and Thatch had good all-around games, French can really rebound, etc.

All three of the freshmen that we've signed fit my definition of D1 ready.  Whether that means 12 minutes or 25 minutes a game is up to the coach.

Two comments:

1.   I am extremely excited about our incoming freshmen - including Yuri.   The skills he already possesses is very impressive.  The outside shooting skills of Jimmerson equally so.  The athletic ability of Hargrove is amazing -- and I suspect he may thrive even more in a different coaching environment.   And a high scoring JUCO in Perkins is all you can hope for.   And Coach Ford is not done -- at least 4 more guys to arrive soon!  Exciting time for us.  A lot of optimism.

2.  Again, my new motto is based upon my Missouri origins -- Show Me.   I will NOT drink the Blue Koolaid.  Instead, I will wait until after 5 games next year.  And while this season has sure been disappointing from the high expectations -- both from the losses of Situation 2 and from Santos/Gordon/Welmer plus injury set backs -- this year has been far better than last year.  Next year will not be completely better in all respects because we do have very large shoes to fill in Bess -- a guy who can play in the NBA - who when healthy dominates the game, both offensively and defensively.   And Bess is a guy who wants the ball, and is good with the ball, with 10 seconds left in half or with the shot clock.  And even though Isabell makes questionable decisions on the Court and has deficiencies in his game, his skill set and one on one ability is big.   And don't forget, freshmen are freshmen and when a PG doesn't shoot, teams will pick up on this (especially during conference games) when other teams can and will drop off of him, the lane will become packed and lines to the basket will be blocked.  Comparisons to H Waldman?  OK -- we will see.  But H was a tall PG, with great vision and passing skills, who played and practiced with the best NCAA college team (UNLV), who then transferred and redshirted at SLU while practicing with the team and who then finally joined our team as an older/more mature player.  H also had a very good outside shot --- which when combined with the outside shooting of Claggett and Highmark -- really opened up the lanes.  By all accounts, Yuri is far different - a true freshman, 5'10", etc. and he may have to rely on fellow freshman JImmerson to open the lane.  As good a JImmerson may be - and I am hopeful - I would instead take Claggett and Highmark as Juniors.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, The Wiz said:

Everybody has been focusing on FT%...and rightfully so...as theses %s are near record lows.  However in terms of game outcome it has probably had little effect. Let me propose an oxymoron....Bills win games on FTs....I know this is a shocker.  What this means is the Bills have won more games than they have lost by FTs.  Again , this doesn't quite sound right....but here is what's happening....

We take more shots (FTA) than most teams (A)....We make more shots  than most teams  ( FTM... B- )....Even shooting just 60% we make an average of about 1 extra FT / gm. Yes there is that loss in the final second at the FT line which was painful...but we have won more games than we have lost....ie  the FTM was larger  than the margin of victory or made up most of the margin of victory.   An argument could be made that if we were a better shooting team , we would have less shots.

Bottom line...Our FT shooting is horrible...but has probably not hurt us much on game outcome.  Much more damaging has been 2 and 3 pt shooting.Of course , you never want to miss throws that are free ....but we need help all across the slash.

From what I have seen coming next year, it looks like help is on the way

An interesting stat would be how many times BOTH shots are missed in a single trip to the line - and how that correlates to game outcomes. That has happened to Billikens way too many times this season - and it's a major momentum killer. Missing the front end of one-and-one would be another one. Sadly, we probably rank high in both. Davidson game was the one game where free throws undeniably changed the outcome.

In terms of being D1-ready, the question for both Jimerson and Yuri will be defense. They could play on this team right now based solely on offensive ability. Their playing time will be dependent on their ability to guard D1 perimeter players, how well they know their rotations, etc.

HoosierPal likes this

6 hours ago, RamJAMTIME said:

East St. Louis beat Mater Dei 86-45. Hargrove had 21 points, 10 boards, 7 blocks. Towels were provided as fans left the gym.

Collins' full line: 35 points (13-19, 0-3, 9-10), 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, 5 turnovers.

These two are locked in right now. Seniors in the playoffs, and they're both in takeover mode.

Jimerson got invited to play in the DMV Elite all star game(DC area).

Some good talent playing in that:

Mitchell 4* - Maryland

Morsell 4*- Virginia

Wong 4* - Miami

Seaborn 4* - NCstate

Dixon 4*- Nova

Dawes 4* - Clemson

Gaffney 4* - Uconn

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Jimmerson got invited to play in the DMV Elite all star game(DC area).

Mitchell 4* - Maryland

Morsell 4*- Virginia

Wong 4* - Miami

Seaborn 4* - NCstate

Dixon 4*- Nova

Dawes 4* - Clemson

Gaffney 4* - Uconn

-either I forgot or didn't know that Gibson Jimerson is from Richmond, VA so he might have some extra motivation a few games per year

-I hope very soon he, and the rest of out lot, are being discussed in the media and on other boards as "how the heck did we miss on these guys? they are really good"

21 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yeah plus 8 rebounds and 8 assists—he’s a bucket getter AND a stat sheet stuffer.

Are we recruiting any of his teammates, referring to either Destan Williams, Oliver Stephen, or Dwayne Rose? Sign those three and our shooting problems are history.

OK blue font and all that but shooting is shooting. Reminds me of the story of when one of Jim Valvano’s assistants convinced him to go to Chicago to watch Terry Gannon. Valvano took one look at the scrawny Gannon during warmups and said to his assistant, “If that’s Terry Gannon you’re fired.” By the end of the first half, and multiple made bombs from very deep, Valvano was convinced he needed to sign Terry Gannon, who later became an integral part of NC State’s ‘83 National Championship team.

5 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Are we recruiting any of his teammates, referring to either Destan Williams, Oliver Stephen, or Dwayne Rose? Sign those three and our shooting problems are history.

OK blue font and all that but shooting is shooting. Reminds me of the story of when one of Jim Valvano’s assistants convinced him to go to Chicago to watch Terry Gannon. Valvano took one look at the scrawny Gannon during warmups and said to his assistant, “If that’s Terry Gannon you’re fired.” By the end of the first half, and multiple made bombs from very deep, Valvano was convinced he needed to sign Terry Gannon, who later became an integral part of NC State’s ‘83 National Championship team.

So did the assistant coach get a bonus? 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

So did the assistant coach get a bonus? 

Unfortunately, Valvano never told the rest of the story, although when you’d already been responsible for recruiting Dereck Whittenburg, Sidney Lowe, Thurl Bailey, and Lorenzo Charles you probably already had one.

53 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Mitchell 4* - Maryland

Morsell 4*- Virginia

Wong 4* - Miami

Seaborn 4* - NCstate

Dixon 4*- Nova

Dawes 4* - Clemson

Gaffney 4* - Uconn

I guess after this game we can see if he is a freshmen starter or not. Solid invite list

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Mitchell 4* - Maryland

Morsell 4*- Virginia

Wong 4* - Miami

Seaborn 4* - NCstate

Dixon 4*- Nova

Dawes 4* - Clemson

Gaffney 4* - Uconn

How many stars does Jimerson have?

8 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Perkins stats updated, had 43 points against Rend Lake, now the 2nd leading scorer at 26.4 per game.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/div1/boxscores/20190226_gn4f.xml?view=boxscore

He grades out at .....A+ / A+ / C+ / A+...overall grade....A..... for the 2018-19 season  through Mar 1

His numbers are meaningful for 2 reasons....

1.  Large sample size....He takes lots of shots and plays lots of games.

2. Plays at a higher level of competition (bigger and better players ) than most Seniors in HS.

Pistol and BIG BILL FAN like this

As far as Jimerson is concerned, he may have had SLU singled out as the place he wanted to go to before recruitment started. One of Jimerson's main interests is chess, he wanted to come to SLU because St. Louis is the center of chess competition in the US. Sure he could have gone elsewhere, but he wanted both chess and basketball, and St. Louis was the place that offered the chess he wanted. He could have the basketball in any number of places, we were unique because of the chess. Imagine that! an athletic basketball player who is a major shooter and who loves chess! I bet he was ready to jump at any interest or offer from SLU whenever it came. As I recall his commitment was rather unexpected and did not require a lot of work.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

As far as Jimerson is concerned, he may have had SLU singled out as the place he wanted to go to before recruitment started. One of Jimerson's main interests is chess, he wanted to come to SLU because St. Louis is the center of chess competition in the US. Sure he could have gone elsewhere, but he wanted both chess and basketball, and St. Louis was the place that offered the chess he wanted. He could have the basketball in any number of places, we were unique because of the chess. Imagine that! an athletic basketball player who is a major shooter and who loves chess! I bet he was ready to jump at any interest or offer from SLU whenever it came. As I recall his commitment was rather unexpected and did not require a lot of work.

Very interesting. Thank you. 

Perkins was easy to evaluate because he has lots of stats that are readily available....see post above

Jimerson is a little bit more difficult.  He is just a 3 pt shooter ( "just"as in mainly shoots 3s)....which creates a quirk in his slash line.   Because he doesn't take many 2s  there is not enough data to create a 2Pt stat....which in turn creates a shortfall on FG%.  Finally , because 3 pt shooters don't get fouled as much there is a shortage there too.  His slash line looks like this, with S3 being Small Sample Size.......S3/ S3/  A+ / S3.  And projecting forward to SLU isn't a given . Besides the normal issues of transition...bigger , faster game... there is the  "extra 1 ft issue" which can affect college players. With all that said....the bottom line is he can shoot long distance. He isn't just an A+ which is usually around 41% ...but he is way beyond that.  The most recent numbers I have are from Boo Williams...show around 46%...and while the "extra ft"  can be troublesome to some...many in the mid to upper 40s  in HS become top 100 3P shooters in college..

Bottom line ...high potential 3pt shooter.

Collins slash......A+ / A+/ F- /A-....So it looks like Collins has trouble with 3s....Yet he still gets an A+ in FG%.....how can that be?  Because the vast majority of his shots are 2s and he is lights out there....62.5% (55.9% is A+ ) so a far exceeds on 2s 

I have very little data on Bell...If someone has access to his stats , I would be happy to run a profile on him.

So let's see what we have so far....A guy who far exceeds on 3s (Jimerson ) ...a guy who far exceeds on 2s (Collins)....and a guy who far exceeds on 2s and can shoot 3s  (Perkins)...Hmmm sounds like Ford is putting together a team that has a chance to mesh.

3 games in the STL area tonight to see our future players, and 2 out-of-town games Thursday:

Hargrove and East St. Louis take on Herrin tonight at 7:00 at Mascoutah. Winner will face the Highland-Mascoutah winner on Friday for the Sectional Championship. ESL would be the favorite in both of these games, regardless of opponent. Hargrove is playing at a high level right now and let's hope he takes care of business.

Collins and St. Mary's play Hillsboro tonight at 6:00 at Kirkwood. Hillsboro is 23-4 and very good. It's a tall order for Collins and his young band at Southside Catholic. If they get through it, they'll face the Cape Central-Farmington winner in the quarterfinals; those two have a combined 5 losses on the season. There are no easy outs left.

Perkins and SWIC face John A. Logan tonight at 7:00 at Rend Lake in the Region 24 Quarterfinals. SWIC is the underdog here, a 6-seed vs. a 3-seed. Logan scores a ton, 93 points per game. David Sloan is their excellent point guard. It'll be a tough one. Winner will play the winner of Wabash Valley (2) and Lincoln Trail (7).

Jimerson and Montverde CBD host Potter House Academy on Thursday in their last regular season game. I'm not sure what their postseason looks like yet.

Jimmy Bell and Bella Vista Prep play the winner of Veritas and Superior in the Grind Session Championship at Marshall County HS in Benton, KY on Thursday. The Championship is Sunday. I think the entire event can be streamed but you have to pay for it. Full bracket:

Quality Is Job 1 likes this