Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, cheeseman said:

Cutting football is not an easy thing to do.  I am sure they can make some cuts in the football program but axing it is not likely to happen.

I could see them returning it to it's former status. Like playing in the Patriot League at the FBS level. The question is if they were to do that do they stay in the AAC and become a non football school like WSU, or do they dump the AAC entirely and return to their East Coast roots. They have a tough geographical situation in the AAC, so I'd guess they'd opt to try to get back into the Beast. If their women's team is losing money that's got to be driven by travel expenses. I saw them play 3 years ago in Columbia and it was standing room only in an 18k arena. Plus, a lot of those fans were UConn fans, ie they travel well. Plus, when they play at home it's usually a sell out.

Even if the Beast were to welcome them back, I don't think that shuts the door on SLU. In fact, it might help it. Are they going to be an 11 team league. That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't it be better to add a 12th team from the MW? Not saying we'd be the shoo in for that spot, but we damn well better be prepared to make an all out push this time to be that team.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I could see them returning it to it's former status. Like playing in the Patriot League at the FBS level. The question is if they were to do that do they stay in the AAC and become a non football school like WSU, or do they dump the AAC entirely and return to their East Coast roots. They have a tough geographical situation in the AAC, so I'd guess they'd opt to try to get back into the Beast. If their women's team is losing money that's got to be driven by travel expenses. I saw them play 3 years ago in Columbia and it was standing room only in an 18k arena. Plus, a lot of those fans were UConn fans, ie they travel well. Plus, when they play at home it's usually a sell out.

Even if the Beast were to welcome them back, I don't think that shuts the door on SLU. In fact, it might help it. Are they going to be an 11 team league. That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't it be better to add a 12th team from the MW? Not saying we'd be the shoo in for that spot, but we damn well better be prepared to make an all out push this time to be that team.

What were the reasoning for the Big East to choose Creighton over the Billikens? Was it 100% JC's fault, or was there more to it?

9 minutes ago, David King said:

What were the reasoning for the Big East to choose Creighton over the Billikens? Was it 100% JC's fault, or was there more to it?

It was a combination of things.  The presidents hated Biondi, they thought he was arrogant and just an A hole.  Creighton's President was a buddy of some of them and he had been laying the groundwork for years to set it up so they could be picked.  Crews creating a total disaster in our program after what RM had set up was icing on the cake to pass over us.  Had we been a V or Gtown they would have swallowed Biondi personality but they had no reason to do so.  By the way, there were big advertisers and other powerful people who were pushing our case but that shows you that you still have to be a team player and Biondi was not that at all.

David King likes this

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yes they could but the problem is they went out and got a lot of money from people and they spent a lot of money to upgrade the facilities.  Also, UConn does not fit the profile of a BE school.  How do they get around that?

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

They would go to 11 because you can do a 20 game league schedule in round robin format, playing each team twice.  Big 12 just went to a 20 game league schedule and I think ACC is going to that.  The thought is the extra conference games look better come selection time compared to 18 they play now.  With 12 teams you can't setup the schedule that nicely.  

Zink and SLU_Lax like this

22 minutes ago, David King said:

The current Big East was formed July, 2013.  2013-14 was the first season.  We were coming off of two NCAA tourney bids, with 26-8, in '11-12, and 28-7, in '12-13, seasons.  Our third straight NCAA appearance followed after they formed.  If anything our on-court performance was as high as ever. 

The rumor (story?) I remember is that Biondi elected to go on a PR junket to the Far East rather than attend a meeting on preliminary expansion discussions.  I don't know if that was true or not.

One belief is that Creighton had the likely All American/POY Doug McDermott coming back for his senior year, making Creighton an attractive addition. Creighton was also coming off of two NCAA Round Three teams.  Selling out 17,000 seats for every home game certainly helped them also.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes they could but the problem is they went out and got a lot of money from people and they spent a lot of money to upgrade the facilities.  Also, UConn does not fit the profile of a BE school.  How do they get around that?

It's true that all the schools in the Beast are private, not necessarily Catholic, see Butler. My guess is UConn's past membership and some storied old rivalries might get them a pass on the private thing. Also, it's generally thought that the East Coast Flag Ship State Universities are very solid academically more so than the MW, South, and West. That's east coast elitist bias to my way of thinking.  

As for Creighton getting in ahead of us I think the Pres of CU was or is on the board of Trustees at MU, and he'd been working it as an insider. That went a long way to being admitted to the Old Boys Club, and, as someone pointed out, Biondi was viewed as an arrogant know it all whom the other schools couldn't tolerate. Crews didn't help matters, although, I think we were in our third in a row dance when it all came down. CU also fills their big arena for just about every game. They had a lot going for them and still do.

17 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Just win, baby.  If we become a perennial tournament team, a bigger conference will try to poach us. Or we become Gonzaga of the A10. Either is fine with me. 

It may well come down to us having to become the Zaga of the A10. I have no problem with that, but it's easier said than done. The A10's a couple of notches above the conference the Zags dominate every year.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It may well come down to us having to become the Zaga of the A10. I have no problem with that, but it's easier said than done. The A10's a couple of notches above the conference the Zags dominate every year.

The A10 average NET ranking is 144.

The average WCC ranking WITHOUT including Gonzaga is 135.

1 hour ago, David King said:

Creighton's athletic department as a whole is miles in front of SLU. Their facilities are some of the best in the land - SLU has Chaifetz and junk. Their athletic director is one of the most well connected in the land - Chris May just isn't a good athletic director. At the time their mens basketball was dominating the MVC and they had a long term coach in place - SLU was making tournaments but didn't have the track record/Majerus just died. Their President was better than Biondi. 

That is the nutshell version. 

David King and SLU_Lax like this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Actually, 11 teams makes a lot of sense.  It allows a 20 game home at home conference schedule.  With 12 teams you have to go to a 2 division uneven conference schedule.  In my mind, 11 is ideal.

1 hour ago, David King said:

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

It was a combination of things.  The presidents hated Biondi, they thought he was arrogant and just an A hole.  Creighton's President was a buddy of some of them and he had been laying the groundwork for years to set it up so they could be picked.  Crews creating a total disaster in our program after what RM had set up was icing on the cake to pass over us.  Had we been a V or Gtown they would have swallowed Biondi personality but they had no reason to do so.  By the way, there were big advertisers and other powerful people who were pushing our case but that shows you that you still have to be a team player and Biondi was not that at all.

Whenever you have a major decision involving school presidents or corporate CEOs, it is not possible to know the real reasons why a certain decision was made. True, you can explain or try to explain the reasons based upon rational thinking and personal preferences of the parties involved, but there is always more in play. The reasons given, if any, by the participants can always be considered PR, not reality. Big 12 did not choose SLU for whatever reasons they had, and that is that, the rest is speculation. You will be wrong if you think you can explain the causes for what happened there, and you will be equally wrong in thinking that the spot Creighton took was ours by right and is ours to take in the future. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Whenever you have a major decision involving school presidents or corporate CEOs, it is not possible to know the real reasons why a certain decision was made. True, you can explain or try to explain the reasons based upon rational thinking and personal preferences of the parties involved, but there is always more in play. The reasons given, if any, by the participants can always be considered PR, not reality. Big 12 did not choose SLU for whatever reasons they had, and that is that, the rest is speculation. You will be wrong if you think you can explain the causes for what happened there, and you will be equally wrong in thinking that the spot Creighton took was ours by right and is ours to take in the future. 

First of all we are talking about the Big East not the Big 12.  Second, I know from talking to another Jesuit University President that Biondi had no friends in the process and when this is the issue, people look for all the negatives and discount the positives.  

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Newest espn top 100 2019 ranking are out. Gibson and Javonte aren’t eligible, but neither Yuri or TJ made the list. Didn’t expect to see Yuri but thought TJ might slip in just under 100

Saw an article recently that pointed out that TN who is #1 right now does not have a top 100 recruit on their roster.

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

First of all we are talking about the Big East not the Big 12.  Second, I know from talking to another Jesuit University President that Biondi had no friends in the process and when this is the issue, people look for all the negatives and discount the positives.  

OK  Cheeseman, it is Big East, my bad. Second agree a lot of people did NOT like Biondi and have posted exactly this fact before. Third none of this negates the fact that neither you nor anyone else will understand all the factors, both positive and negative, that went into the selection  of Creighton and the elimination of SLU. I know you think otherwise, but so what?

Saw an article recently that pointed out that TN who is #1 right now does not have a top 100 recruit on their roster.

nope, and only one 4* and a 2*  to combat, I believe.  

But, their top 6 rotation goes 4 juniors and 2 seniors, so good experience. 

Fun team to watch, built for March.

5 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

They would go to 11 because you can do a 20 game league schedule in round robin format, playing each team twice.  Big 12 just went to a 20 game league schedule and I think ACC is going to that.  The thought is the extra conference games look better come selection time compared to 18 they play now.  With 12 teams you can't setup the schedule that nicely.  

I have heard this too from talking heads and others, and have no reason to disagree with them.  However, it would seem to me that having 11 teams would be a scheduling nightmare.  It works out nicely for having 20 round robin conference games, but not for who plays who when.  Think about it.  Let's say you have five of your conference's teams play another five of your conference's teams on a Saturday night.  You've got one team each weekend that's idle.  When can that team play again without their game being too close to the games played on Saturday.  They'd have to have a game at the latest on Thursday or at the earliest Monday (who wants a game on a Monday night) or Tuesday.  This will happen all season.  You will have one team each week that is not allowed to play at the best time to get fans to the game, the weekend.

I'm sure they'll work around it.  Maybe tell teams to schedule a non-conference game during the conference season, if that's possible, during their "bye" weekend.  It's just a consideration for them when figuring all this out.

Additionally,  Crews did not have anything to do with it.  The decision was announced that X, Butler and Creighton were in prior to the 2013-2014 season.  

That is one thing we cannot blame [dead] for.  When that merger/formation was announced, we were at the peak of our modern greatness.  The product on the court was never going to be better.  Had we made it in, and then given [dead's] inability to recruit talent, then we would have been lower than DePaul.  But we'd have been in.  How about Austin Gillmann, Brent Jolly or Reggie Agbeko matching up with Omari Spellman?  Aaron Hines chasing Josh Hart around?