Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

9 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Learning the proper back arch is quite easy, if you have someone to mimic, learn how to plant your jump foot, pump your arms , and rotate your hips. The hardest thing for non-skilled high jumpers is learning how to clear their drag foot, and he has that problem bad.

It took me two weeks in high school to improve from knowing nothing and clearing 5’4”, watching and training with a 7’ high jumper, to consistently hitting 6’1”.

TH could easily improve 6 to 8 inches by taking the right angle into the bar, dial in his pivot and launch, and learn to arch and snap. Hopefully, they have a light fiberglass and carbon bar, and not the old triangle aluminum bar that would crosscheck you in the back on bad jumps.

Having not watched him jump, I'm speculating.  What Sheltie says is correct.  The only thing I'd say is 6-8 inches is possibly too high.  He's not going to improve his jump height, just better form clearing the bar at a height he is currently jumping.  My guess is with ~3 attempts at a height, he's managed to get his form just right to get that high.  What did his mom say he cleared in practice?  7'2"?  That's while being coached, and unlimited attempts.  Although any jumper will tell you, after 20 or so jumps, your legs are about done without some decent rest.  So if he stuck with it, I'd say 2-4 inches is likely; that 6-8 possible.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, philliken said:

Having not watched him jump, I'm speculating.  What Sheltie says is correct.  The only thing I'd say is 6-8 inches is possibly too high.  He's not going to improve his jump height, just better form clearing the bar at a height he is currently jumping.  My guess is with ~3 attempts at a height, he's managed to get his form just right to get that high.  What did his mom say he cleared in practice?  7'2"?  That's while being coached, and unlimited attempts.  Although any jumper will tell you, after 20 or so jumps, your legs are about done without some decent rest.  So if he stuck with it, I'd say 2-4 inches is likely; that 6-8 possible.

I think you are both correct.  I base my comment on the on picture which give the impression of no back arching at all, and a body posture similar to sitting in a chair. I realize the moments before and may have been different, I have not seen a video.  I agree that 6-8 more inches is possible and makes me weep for that kind of ability.  But getting the last three to four inches will be the hardest.  It requires an awareness of your body in space, and a synchronizations of movements to at the right time and speed to clear the height.   You are right your legs tire out especially on hot and humid days.  That is why time (to learn) and experience is the issue,  confidence about consistently making a height lets you pass to a height you want to start at,  depending on the competition you might be able to minimize the number of jump attempts to save the legs for the higher heights.    Does he do any other events like long jump or triple jump?

• 2 weeks later...

small clip from Gibsons coach 

"

Former MVA athlete of the week Gibson Jimerson committed to St. Louis University. Jimerson led the CBD post-graduate team not only in points made but also in field goal percentage. In the summer of 2018, Jimerson was named one of the best shooters in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) shooting 44.7 percent from behind the arc. Jimerson's game expands beyond the basketball court as he maintained a cumulative GPA of 4.32 earning Summa Laude and is in the top percentile of the postgraduate class.

"He is a super efficient player, he is a player you don't want to take out of the game even if he needs a break, he's that good," said Kevin Boyle Jr. "From a classroom standpoint, he is the most consistent player who is always eligible to play because he's even better in his academics. Not everyone has a chance to play in the NBA or overseas, but if I had to pick someone to have a successful pro career, it would be him.""

Hargrove went for 6-8 again in sectionals. The second-place finisher jumped 6-5. East St. Louis got the overall win with 141 points; second place was Mascoutah with 79. The state finals are May 23-25 at Eastern Illinois University.

Hargrove also graduated this week. Big week for him.

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

One has to assume there is no news from the NCAA on Lewis' request for immediate eligibility. 

And in class already.....hmm, chance of graduating after summer session and being an eligible GT?

52 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

One has to assume there is no news from the NCAA on Lewis' request for immediate eligibility. 

And in class already.....hmm, chance of graduating after summer session and being an eligible GT?

Isn't this only the end of his third year of year of college?

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Summer classes have already begun? 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ford said center Madani Diarra is a legit 6-11 and was around 247 pounds on his visit. Jimmy Bell Jr. is 6-10 and about 280. The 13th scholarship will only be filled if SLU finds a &quot;difference maker,&quot; Ford said.</p>&mdash; stu durando (@studurando) <a href="https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1130551485891268615?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

36 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Isn't this only the end of his third year of year of college?

He could have brought college credit in to his first school and then carried more than 12 hours a semester.  It is possible that he could have enough to graduate at the end of the summer.  I could see how this could work as a GT.

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He could have brought college credit in to his first school and then carried more than 12 hours a semester.  It is possible that he could have enough to graduate at the end of the summer.  I could see how this could work as a GT.

Plus it is possible he brought some credits in from Chaminade.  Crawford and Welmer got their bachelors diploma after three years.

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

If he was going to graduate over the summer they wouldn't be trying to get him a waiver.

Well, maybe they aren't anymore.  Or maybe they are.  Or maybe it has been rejected.  Or maybe they said okay after the first semester.  Maybe it is something that Lewis wants to do anyway.  Or maybe they don't  want to wait for the NCAA to procrastinate away the summer.  Or maybe he needs credits to transfer with 3 full years of credits.  Just looking at possibilities.

Off season workouts don't start until sometime in early to mid June.  So he being in class already is a positive sign, (of something).

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Who is in the electric blue shorts scoring at will the second half of the video?

I think that is a dude from Columbia who played at a small college and is a pro at this point, Jordan Stevens. I need someone to verify that for me though. Regardless, that guy was killing it.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that is a dude from Columbia who played at a small college and is a pro at this point, Jordan Stevens. I need someone to verify that for me though. Regardless, that guy was killing it.

He looked like a member of the Harlem Globetrotters toying with the Washington Generals!

What I liked about the video is that, besides the pro players, Yuri Collins stood out the most, and he also showed a credible perimeter shot.  (Granted, the video was edited and we don't see how many shots he may have missed.)

Did anyone else notice how little Jeremiah Tilmon stood out, despite playing against players mostly still in high school?  He's got to add a lot to his game (mostly between the ears?) to become an NBA prospect (for anything besides being so tall).

10 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Yuri and Hargrove have great chemistry.  Love, Fletcher, Philip Russell,  Jordan Nesbitt in the video as well. (2020 class)

That's an interesting assemblage of basketball players!  What, is that footage of a practice for a pro-am league team?  If so, then that team could be tough to handle.  (If I were a betting man, though, I'd still put my money on a team with Jordan Goodwin on it.)