Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If he's hitting 7'+ in practice, he's going to be in play for the all-time Illinois HS record (7'3.5", which has stood since 1985) if he can improve his form. It'd be cool to see him come out of nowhere and achieve that this season - or honestly anything close.

And yeah, it'd be cool if he did this at SLU, too. Someone asked him on Instagram if he'd join the track team at SLU, and he replied with a shrug meme. Not ruling it out...

a fear i now have is that one of the big boys looking to get that 14th roster player, offers a full ride track scholarship and a "walk on" spot on their roster.   arent the texas schools always major track and field players?   

is what i describe above legal per ncaa basketball rules?  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a fear i now have is that one of the big boys looking to get that 14th roster player, offers a full ride track scholarship and a "walk on" spot on their roster.   arent the texas schools always major track and field players?   

It's a bit late in the game for that. It would not be legal because it'd be tampering with a signed athlete. In terms of splitting a scholarship that way, yes, it would be legal. An NCAA athlete can play two sports with the scholarship provided by one team and not the other.

I wouldn't be a coach trying to have 14 scholarships, though. 13 is enough, and there are usually at least a couple guys on a 13-scholarship roster wishing they had more minutes.

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

TJ is locked in. He’s a Billiken to his core. If he wants to break T&F records in his free time away from college basketball it doesn’t matter if he’s jumping as a Billiken or an Oregon duck.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

IIRC there are very few full ride track scholarships

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

If he is clearing 7'2" in practice after only a couple of months training, he has crazy world class natural ability as a high jumper. 7'2" would have put him at 21st at the 2016 Olympics.

I'm all about Hargrove playing basketball for SLU and looking forward to some highlight reel alley-oop dunks assisted by Yuri.

That being said, I'd be more excited if he pursues T&F at SLU as well, goes to the Olympics as a high jumper and medals.  How cool would that be?

billiken_roy and brianstl like this

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

If he's hitting 7'+ in practice, he's going to be in play for the all-time Illinois HS record (7'3.5", which has stood since 1985) if he can improve his form. It'd be cool to see him come out of nowhere and achieve that this season - or honestly anything close.

And yeah, it'd be cool if he did this at SLU, too. Someone asked him on Instagram if he'd join the track team at SLU, and he replied with a shrug meme. Not ruling it out...

When is HS season over?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

When is HS season over?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

It usually runs through May and the State can go into early June.  Ballpark estimate.

IL state meet is May 23-25.

8 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm all about Hargrove playing basketball for SLU and looking forward to some highlight reel alley-oop dunks assisted by Yuri.

That being said, I'd be more excited if he pursues T&F at SLU as well, goes to the Olympics as a high jumper and medals.  How cool would that be?

That would be cool 😎.

Makes me want to find an All-Comers meet and start jumping again.  Now it would be a Masters division. 

What  is crazy is the world record of 2.45 m or 8 ft 1/4 inch.  

I would go down to watch Hargrove Jump at the SLU invitational that they have each year!

13 hours ago, Basketbill said:

That would be cool 😎.

Makes me want to find an All-Comers meet and start jumping again.  Now it would be a Masters division. 

What  is crazy is the world record of 2.45 m or 8 ft 1/4 inch.  

I would go down to watch Hargrove Jump at the SLU invitational that they have each year!

I know next to nothing about track and field or high jump.  What type of improvement would be reasonable to expect from Hargrove if he were to dedicate himself to high jump (or is that impossible to say)?

Jumping 6 ft 8 inches without much prior experience seems crazy good, but it looks like he'd need to add roughly a foot to that to medal in the Olympics.  How realistic a possibility is that?

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I know next to nothing about track and field or high jump.  What type of improvement would be reasonable to expect from Hargrove if he were to dedicate himself to high jump (or is that impossible to say)?

Jumping 6 ft 8 inches without much prior experience seems crazy good, but it looks like he'd need to add roughly a foot to that to medal in the Olympics.  How realistic a possibility is that?

assuming he is almost 100% being successful now on sheer athleticism, i would think there is room for incredible improvement just mastering the art of high jumping, i.e. form.   apparently we have a number of former high jumpers on the board, and they could comment with much more confidence than me, but a huge improvement would seem very possible to me.   i guess my question to the jumpers on the board, how long can this reasonably take to learn?   i.e. will he learn it in the next month or is this something that takes years to learn?

Learning the proper back arch is quite easy, if you have someone to mimic, learn how to plant your jump foot, pump your arms , and rotate your hips. The hardest thing for non-skilled high jumpers is learning how to clear their drag foot, and he has that problem bad.

It took me two weeks in high school to improve from knowing nothing and clearing 5’4”, watching and training with a 7’ high jumper, to consistently hitting 6’1”.

TH could easily improve 6 to 8 inches by taking the right angle into the bar, dial in his pivot and launch, and learn to arch and snap. Hopefully, they have a light fiberglass and carbon bar, and not the old triangle aluminum bar that would crosscheck you in the back on bad jumps.

18 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Anyone besides me worried about an unanticipated injury from a new sport that requires extreme effort?

Sssshhhh! This is a future Billiken BB player we're talking about here. Let's not hex him by bringing up the I word.

If he brings as much effort to playing defense in the paint as he has to high jumping, he and French have the starting PF and center slots locked down.

The last two bigs with quick hops like his were Kelvin Henderson and Skinner, who both were outstanding rebounders. Skinner led D1 in rebounds after he trensferred to Western Illinois.

6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

If he brings as much effort to playing defense in the paint as he has to high jumping, he and French have the starting PF and center slots locked down.

The last two bigs with quick hops like his were Kelvin Henderson and Skinner, who both were outstanding rebounders. Skinner led D1 in rebounds after he trensferred to Western Illinois.

Skinner transferred to D2 Kentucky Wesleyan.