Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

I just watched on twitter.   He actually went out at 6'10".  So i dont think he has ever made 6'10" yet.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would encourage people to check out the video in his Instagram story. I know he isn’t standing straight up by the bar, but it looks at least a few inches taller than him. Maybe he went out at 6-8 at the meet and then did a 6-10 attempt later?

after a nights sleep, the fact that hargrove in only his second meet (meets took place in the last two days) jumping 6'8" (maybe clearing 6'10" in practice after the meet over) is incredible.   yes to be a high jump champion takes sheer athleticism, but the high jump is a highly technical event that takes quite a bit of time to master and if he is doing this after such a short period of time is off the charts incredible.   i'm actually hoping slu lets him high jump when it doesnt conflict with the basketball season.   wow, what an athlete.  

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

after a nights sleep, the fact that hargrove in only his second meet (meets took place in the last two days) jumping 6'8" (maybe clearing 6'10" in practice after the meet over) is incredible.   yes to be a high jump champion takes sheer athleticism, but the high jump is a highly technical event that takes quite a bit of time to master and if he is doing this after such a short period of time is off the charts incredible.   i'm actually hoping slu lets him high jump when it doesnt conflict with the basketball season.   wow, what an athlete.  

Having been around T&F my entire life, yes high jumping is not something you just sign up for.  It takes a ton of practice to perfect.  If Hargroves is at 6'8" after two meets, he certainly has 7'+ ability.

i beleive the best jump in illinois this year is 6'10" by zach pluff from Freeburg, IL who doesnt do anything but high jumping.     again, just puts in perspective what hargrove just accomplished.  

Let me attempt to translate this to basketball Roy. If he can do this at a jumping event, he is going to be able to jump pretty high up during basketball play. This bodes well for his ability to shoot and dunk against tall defenders. Can't wait to see him play.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let me attempt to translate this to basketball Roy. If he can do this at a jumping event, he is going to be able to jump pretty high up during basketball play. This bodes well for his ability to shoot and dunk against tall defenders. Can't wait to see him play.

we already knew that.    my point on my amazement is his ability to channel this incredible athleticism into a very technical track and field event that typically takes years to master.   

SLU_Lax likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

we already knew that.    my point on my amazement is his ability to channel this incredible athleticism into a very technical track and field event that typically takes years to master.   

So this is a subject near and dear to my heart as a former High Jumper in HS. His result 6’8” inches in good.  The picture someone posted is suspicious for horrendous form, but hard to say, based solely  on one picture at one moment in time.  The result nevertheless it is impressive,  and the is undoubtedly room for improvement with improved technique. 

One measure of a HJer is how high over their own height do they clear. Franklin Jacobs back in the eighties was the poster child  of this measure I believe he was 5’8 or 9, and jump 7’7”.  So at 6’7”  TH has always to go to beat Franklin Jacobs.  

Clearly TH can jump,  improvement in form will really raise the bar.(pun intended)  This makes me think of that picture of him blocking a shot where it “appears” that his elbow was as high as the rim. Man Is it going to be fun watching him play.

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

So you're saying if he can jump outdoors he should be able to jump indoors? What about wind or barometric pressure? I personally don't think the comparison is valid due to gravity.

QUAILMAN and TheA_Bomb like this

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Old guy are we SURE that if he can high jump 6-8 that he’s going to necessarily “jump high up during basketball play?”

Venice we can never be SURE of anything. However different jumping in a meet with no interference is from jumping during play against any number of defenders may be, we can be reasonably sure that this guy can jump and will jump during play. How high? probably high enough to score regularly.  Happy?

8 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm skeptical I bet he's wearing different shoes and shorter shorts.   Plus he's missing a 22oz ball.  Not the same.

I don't know what the size of his …. oh wait a minute, that's why I can't jump. 

11 hours ago, Basketbill said:

So this is a subject near and dear to my heart as a former High Jumper in HS. His result 6’8” inches in good.  The picture someone posted is suspicious for horrendous form, but hard to say, based solely  on one picture at one moment in time.  The result nevertheless it is impressive,  and the is undoubtedly room for improvement with improved technique. 

One measure of a HJer is how high over their own height do they clear. Franklin Jacobs back in the eighties was the poster child  of this measure I believe he was 5’8 or 9, and jump 7’7”.  So at 6’7”  TH has always to go to beat Franklin Jacobs.  

Clearly TH can jump,  improvement in form will really raise the bar.(pun intended)  This makes me think of that picture of him blocking a shot where it “appears” that his elbow was as high as the rim. Man Is it going to be fun watching him play.

I’m also a former HS jumper. I was prob 6’1” when I jumped. I missed out on state by a tie-breaker (same height -less misses) and it was significantly lower. My best jump was 5’10” and I only did that in regionals. That guy who beat me  finished second at state. 

Point being, what he did is stupid impressive.

If he's hitting 7'+ in practice, he's going to be in play for the all-time Illinois HS record (7'3.5", which has stood since 1985) if he can improve his form. It'd be cool to see him come out of nowhere and achieve that this season - or honestly anything close.

And yeah, it'd be cool if he did this at SLU, too. Someone asked him on Instagram if he'd join the track team at SLU, and he replied with a shrug meme. Not ruling it out...