Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

9 minutes ago, willie said:

The only possible reason I can see to bank a scholarship is to have one open for a mid year transfer. 

What about if Ford has three really talented players he feels good about signing next year, but only two spots open to sign them.  Banking a scholarship is better than locking up a stiff in the Spring.  Best scenario is GT that goes away after one year.

My point is bank a scholarship rather than sign a guy you don't feel confident in and might waste a scholarship for a few years.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

What about if Ford has three really talented players he feels good about signing next year, but only two spots open to sign them.  Banking a scholarship is better than locking up a stiff in the Spring.  Best scenario is GT that goes away after one year.

My point is bank a scholarship rather than sign a guy you don't feel confident in and might waste a scholarship for a few years.

You don't bank the scholarship, you bring in a Grad Transfer even if he is just there as a practice body.

ACE likes this

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You don't bank the scholarship, you bring in a Grad Transfer even if he is just there as a practice body.

I can see banking one if you think the semester break transfer market will offer you something better than what you can currently sign.

I am just wondering since I have no idea what the answer to this question may be. Why do players leave a program after 1 semester? I assume mostly because of personality clashes or issues with fitting in a team. Is this correct? Anyone knows?

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am just wondering since I have no idea what the answer to this question may be. Why do players leave a program after 1 semester? I assume mostly because of personality clashes or issues with fitting in a team. Is this correct? Anyone knows?

home sick, family problems, players thinking they were more ready for the next level than they were.  players who like to jump schools and aau teams every year or so.  Theres a few reasons. 

11 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Hargrove finished 2nd in Illinois Mr. Basketball voting behind the obvious winner in Liddell. Saying Hargrove isn’t a top 3 recruit in Illinois (as many sites have him way lower) is just disrespectful 

Downstate players get no respect.

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Downstate players get no respect.

right which im sure is a direct result of most of the voters from being in Chicago.  Sounds like its slowly changing tho

14 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Hargrove finished 2nd in Illinois Mr. Basketball voting behind the obvious winner in Liddell. Saying Hargrove isn’t a top 3 recruit in Illinois (as many sites have him way lower) is just disrespectful 

chicago.   it is the story/frustration of anyone on just about anything south of highway 80.  they want us to shut up and accept everything yet we have to pay their way with our taxes.   i'd have no problem splitting the state and making a north and south illinois. 

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Depends on how you look at it.  I believe that this is the third player of the year award in a row in Illinois given to a Metro East player.

correct, and in the last 3 years, two of the final 3 in the running were from the metro I believe. 

2019:  EJ and terrence

2018: EJ and terrence(I think)

2017 Mark smith and Goodwin who most likely would have won if it wasnt for the surgery

edit: never mind Hargrove wasn't a finalist in 2018

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

correct, and in the last 3 years, two of the final 3 in the running were from the metro I believe. 

2019:  EJ and terrence

2018: EJ and terrence(I think)

2017 Mark smith and Goodwin who most likely would have won if it wasnt for the surgery

Goodwin got robbed 

Just now, MattyMo213 said:

Goodwin got robbed 

yes and no. He was welllllll on his way to win the award rather easily it sounds like, but didnt he only play half the year?

So, no bias in giving out awards, just in national recruiting rankings.  If this is the case, that's probably something that we should not be complaining about.  If guys from the Metro East are flying under the radar nationally, and Ford is good at getting them, all the better for our program.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

So, no bias in giving out awards, just in national recruiting rankings.  If this is the case, that's probably something that we should not be complaining about.  If guys from the Metro East are flying under the radar nationally, and Ford is good at getting them, all the better for our program.

+1

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

yes and no. He was welllllll on his way to win the award rather easily it sounds like, but didnt he only play half the year?

Yeah, my recollection is that he had a shoulder that would dislocate easily, and he stopped playing during his senior year once he broke the school scoring record to have surgery to fix the issue.