Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree the above names is the reason we either get a couple of grad transfers or basically leave two spots open imo.   bradford would really look nice in blue!  and kasubke appears to me to be quite the shooter which we need more of.   i think the ship has sailed on love and fletcher.  both have big time stars in their eyes. 

That was always true but I think it was important for the coaching staff to at least gauge Love and Fletcher's interest.  Now that they have, it's time to narrow the local recruiting focus to Kasubke and Bradford.  You'll still see our coaches hanging around Vashon for the foreseeable future.  Nick Kern is our top local target in 2021.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

That was always true but I think it was important for the coaching staff to at least gauge Love and Fletcher's interest.  Now that they have, it's time to narrow the local recruiting focus to Kasubke and Bradford.  You'll still see our coaches hanging around Vashon for the foreseeable future.  Nick Kern is our top local target in 2021.

Yeah.  Nick is going to be really good.  I believe he is staying with Gateway for AAU this summer.  He has a DePaul offer and Iowa is interested.  Now would be the time to build a relationship with him.  What do you think of the bigs over at Desmet? 

14 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  Nick is going to be really good.  I believe he is staying with Gateway for AAU this summer.  He has a DePaul offer and Iowa is interested.  Now would be the time to build a relationship with him.  What do you think of the bigs over at Desmet? 

I'm like everybody else.  I'm waiting for them to achieve consistency and the avalanche of high major offers.  The size and athleticism are there.  It's just a matter of time.  Keita is stronger so he'll probably get there first.  Don't like our chances against the field but the staff is doing its due dilligence.

In addition to this weekend's event, they have another one the following weekend. Mario McKinney and Yuri Collins are team captains and picked teams:

Collins and Hargrove will be on the same team in this one. This should be fun, even if Team Mario looks stronger overall (E.J. Liddell and all three Rock Bridge kids).

The location will be announced Tuesday at noon.

Here's a little interview with Collins talking about his mentality during the state tournament run:

Also, I hadn't seen this news posted yet, so apologies if someone else mentioned it and I missed it:

On 3/21/2019 at 12:40 PM, cgeldmacher said:

I'd rather bank the scholarship or us a GT than take a guy in the Spring whose talent level means that he needs to redshirt.  Ford will get a much better player in the Fall instead for the next class.

After the last two years you want to BANK a scholarship? No thanks

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think that will eventually be his best position in the A10, after he puts on another 15 lb. But at his current size of 6'7 200 lb, he's going to get posted up every time down the floor.

He may get posted, but he’s a competitor. He will give whoever he is guarding trouble and his leaping ability will help make up for his lack of weight.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

In addition to this weekend's event, they have another one the following weekend. Mario McKinney and Yuri Collins are team captains and picked teams:

Collins and Hargrove will be on the same team in this one. This should be fun, even if Team Mario looks stronger overall (E.J. Liddell and all three Rock Bridge kids).

The location will be announced Tuesday at noon.

I heard it's at Matthew Dickey's but maybe they are looking for a bigger location 

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think that will eventually be his best position in the A10, after he puts on another 15 lb. But at his current size of 6'7 200 lb, he's going to get posted up every time down the floor.

not all ways true.  While gaining 15 pounds would help, a lot,  it doesn't mean he cant play the 4 at that size now. 

24 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

He may get posted, but he’s a competitor. He will give whoever he is guarding trouble and his leaping ability will help make up for his lack of weight.

Hargrove rarely had to defend athletic 6'7/6'8 players with size but the few times he has, he hasn't fared well. Fortunately only about 5 teams in the A10 have those kind of 4 men.  The rest he should do fine.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hargrove rarely had to defend athletic 6'7/6'8 players with size but the few times he has, he hasn't fared well. Fortunately only about 5 teams in the A10 have those kind of 4 men.  The rest he should do fine.

this is accurate.   but even in the A10 there arent a lot of ej liddell's to cope with.  

On 3/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

After the last two years you want to BANK a scholarship? No thanks

Again, I said I'd rather bank a scholarship than take a lesser recruit in the Spring.  It's a question of what will get us the better recruit.  Can Ford use that scholarship to sign a much better guy in the Fall than someone he can get in the Spring.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Again, I said I'd rather bank a scholarship than take a lesser recruit in the Spring.  It's a question of what will get us the better recruit.  Can Ford use that scholarship to sign a much better guy in the Fall than someone he can get in the Spring.

doesnt a grad transfer give you the same flexibility?

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The only possible reason I can see to bank a scholarship is to have one open for a mid year transfer.