Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, willie said:

I agree with what you are saying but I’m going to miss our seniors. 

Who isn't going to miss them? However the doors are close to being fully open for our new incoming class of rercuits. We should make them feel welcome aboard.

We're all going to miss the Seniors. As someone said above, win tomorrow and they are legends. But from all the reports the new guys are going to be a solid foundation going forward. They all seem excited about being Billikens, which I'm not so sure was a feeling not shared by this year's FR class. Also, they will join two really good Juniors and an experienced SO, who have know the ups and downs of D1 ball. So, it's not like we're going into next year like we did when Rick's boys graduated. They're an exciting group and two of them have led their team to championship games. One won, one lost, but just to get that far is an amazing achievement.

But that's next year, and this year we live to fight another day. It's time to take down the Bunnies. In fact, it's way past time to take down St. B's of the North Pole. We owe them big time.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, 3star_recruit said:

If there was a better player than Yuri Collins in Class 4 this year, I haven't seen him.  He averaged 30 during St. Mary's six game playoff run against double teams.  Ridiculous.  

Yuri Collins' full playoff stats (6 games) are as follows.

Totals: 180 points, 58-94 FG, 8-28 3FG, 56-64 FT, 31 rebounds, 45 assists, 15 steals, 1 block, 23 turnovers.

Averages: 30.0 points, .617 FG%, .286 3FG%, .875 FT%, 5.2 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 0.2 blocks, 3.8 turnovers.

It's a shame the MVP has to go to a player on the winning team because Yuri was it. Not only did he do it all against double teams, but he left the second quarter of the semifinal with a leg injury and played the last six quarters hobbled.

When you account for his full season - which of course doesn't include St. Mary's first 8 games, which he missed recovering from shoulder surgery - he finished 8th in the metro area in scoring average, 4th in free throws made, 31st in FT percentage, 1st in assist average, and 27th in steal average.

You say he was the best in Class 4 this year and that's absolutely true, but his playoff performance is one of the strongest of any class in any year. It's rare for a kid to string 6-7 playoff games in a row together like that.

While we're at it, let's look at Hargrove's stats in ESL's first ever state championship run (7 games):

Totals: 152 points, 58-116 FG, 6-21 3FG, 30-37 FT, 69 rebounds, 10 assists, 12 steals, 27 blocks, 13 turnovers.

Averages: 21.7 points, .500 FG%, .286 3FG%, .811 FT%, 9.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.7 steals, 3.9 blocks, 1.9 turnovers.

He was better than his season averages in all categories except assists (1.5 APG).

In the metro area for the entire season, he finished 30th in scoring average, 6th in total points, 27th in rebounding average, 3rd in total rebounds, 10th in average blocks, and 4th in total blocks.

24 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Totals: 180 points, 58-94 FG, 8-28 3FG, 56-64 FT, 31 rebounds, 45 assists, 15 steals, 1 block, 23 turnovers.

Averages: 30.0 points, .617 FG%, .286 3FG%, .875 FT%, 5.2 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 0.2 blocks, 3.8 turnovers.

It's a shame the MVP has to go to a player on the winning team because Yuri was it. Not only did he do it all against double teams, but he left the second quarter of the semifinal with a leg injury and played the last six quarters hobbled.

When you account for his full season - which of course doesn't include St. Mary's first 8 games, which he missed recovering from shoulder surgery - he finished 8th in the metro area in scoring average, 4th in free throws made, 31st in FT percentage, 1st in assist average, and 27th in steal average.

You say he was the best in Class 4 this year and that's absolutely true, but his playoff performance is one of the strongest of any class in any year. It's rare for a kid to string 6-7 playoff games in a row together like that.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

While we're at it, let's look at Hargrove's stats in ESL's first ever state championship run (7 games):

Totals: 152 points, 58-116 FG, 6-21 3FG, 30-37 FT, 69 rebounds, 10 assists, 12 steals, 27 blocks, 13 turnovers.

Averages: 21.7 points, .500 FG%, .286 3FG%, .811 FT%, 9.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.7 steals, 3.9 blocks, 1.9 turnovers.

He was better than his season averages in all categories except assists (1.5 APG).

In the metro area for the entire season, he finished 30th in scoring average, 6th in total points, 27th in rebounding average, 3rd in total rebounds, 10th in average blocks, and 4th in total blocks.

-both must have played fantastic, while not looking past anything I am looking forward to seeing them in the fall wearing The Billiken!

-thanks for the summary Pistol

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I wonder if Hargrove can start next year?

1) Goodwin

2) Thatch

3) Perkins 

4) Hargrove

5) French

I think the fifth starting spot is up for grabs right now, with Goodwin-Thatch-Perkins-French as 4/5 starters. If we end up with a grad transfer, that'll probably be #5.

I know there's been a lot of gushing about Collins and Hargrove lately and I'm one of the posters most responsible for that. Even though they were sensational in the playoffs for their teams, they're still playing HS competition. So while my opinion of both players and their potential has risen, I'm still only counting on them as rotational players coming off the bench to play roles as freshmen. Same for Jimerson, and I'd expect pretty limited minutes for Bell.

If any of these guys are good enough for a starting role out of the gate, then I'd be very impressed and surprised.

As always, I'm very, very curious to see what happens with these next three scholarships. There are a lot of moving pieces, especially when you project out to the 2020 class because we don't have any seniors next year.

RUBillsFan and billiken_roy like this

being a sports (fan)atic hyperbole as unavoidable as turkey on thanksgiving but I can't remember ever feeling this good with Our Obsession. Ever since TF came it's been very promising until all the various disasters hit and every time we bounce back with spirited performances and even more impressive recruiting. After our cautious optimism going into season, cautious with me at least caused by TF's tampering down of our hopes. Then sh*t hit all over the fans and we were way down and then this amazing turn around puts us right where we figured was ours beginning of the season. And we now can say with almost complete certainty our future is brighter.

Media coverage unprecedented last 48 hours. Listening to Rammer on 590 now. Sounds like a proud father returning from maternity ward.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think the fifth starting spot is up for grabs right now, with Goodwin-Thatch-Perkins-French as 4/5 starters. If we end up with a grad transfer, that'll probably be #5.

I know there's been a lot of gushing about Collins and Hargrove lately and I'm one of the posters most responsible for that. Even though they were sensational in the playoffs for their teams, they're still playing HS competition. So while my opinion of both players and their potential has risen, I'm still only counting on them as rotational players coming off the bench to play roles as freshmen. Same for Jimerson, and I'd expect pretty limited minutes for Bell.

If any of these guys are good enough for a starting role out of the gate, then I'd be very impressed and surprised.

As always, I'm very, very curious to see what happens with these next three scholarships. There are a lot of moving pieces, especially when you project out to the 2020 class because we don't have any seniors next year.

I think once Collins is on the court, it's going to be hard to take him off. He makes plays that most others can't and he makes his teammates better. I was actually surprised that his form on his 3's was pretty good. 

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think once Collins is on the court, it's going to be hard to take him off. He makes plays that most others can't and he makes his teammates better. I was actually surprised that his form on his 3's was pretty good. 

Agree, said before seems almost impossible for him not to start. 

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Seems like it would be rather difficult to end up 1st in assist average and also 8th in scoring average.  Also, this may be a whole other debate to have, but I wonder if being the top, perhaps only, guy on a team making a playoff run is better than being just another guy on a loaded team.  The guy on the loaded team practices every day against better talent, but the kid who's forced to be everything for a team, like Yuri, might just get better experience out of that situation.  I think Yuri's playoff run this year, with the double teams, the pressure, etc., might be the perfect thing for his development and his readiness next year.

22 minutes ago, almaman said:

Agree, said before seems almost impossible for him not to start. 

With Goodwin and Thatch, I just don't see it. I think he'll be a very nice piece to have coming off the bench.

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Seems like it would be rather difficult to end up 1st in assist average and also 8th in scoring average.  Also, this may be a whole other debate to have, but I wonder if being the top, perhaps only, guy on a team making a playoff run is better than being just another guy on a loaded team.  The guy on the loaded team practices every day against better talent, but the kid who's forced to be everything for a team, like Yuri, might just get better experience out of that situation.  I think Yuri's playoff run this year, with the double teams, the pressure, etc., might be the perfect thing for his development and his readiness next year.

He scored 30 PPG and dished out 7.5 APG in the playoffs. That's just unreal for a HS player; just about every basket they score is going through him one way or another. Although it should be noted that he was scoring a ton from the line. But still, that kind of usage in HS is off the charts.

I also think you make a good point about the experience of a playoff run. I think it's been huge for both Collins and Hargrove. It extended their seasons by 6-7 games, put them in high-pressure situations (i.e. win or go home) every time out, gave them bigger stages and crowds to play on and in front of, made them the focal point of opposing defenses, and forced them to create wins by any means necessary. These two didn't fold. They responded with the best basketball of their careers, with each hitting over 80% from the line, scoring more than ever, and lifting their teams. I don't think you can measure how impactful that experience was for these two.

It doesn't tell me that they'll be instant-impact guys who will start or play huge minutes immediately in college. It does tell me, though, that they're winners who will put in the work and find their roles at SLU, doing whatever they can to help this team win. It also tells me what they can do down the road; I feel better about the ceiling for each of these two.

TheDude likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

That battle for the SF will be very interesting.  As the roster stands now for next year...don't sleep on Hargrove winning that spot.  

Spoon-Balls and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

With Goodwin and Thatch, I just don't see it. I think he'll be a very nice piece to have coming off the bench.

He scored 30 PPG and dished out 7.5 APG in the playoffs. That's just unreal for a HS player; just about every basket they score is going through him one way or another. Although it should be noted that he was scoring a ton from the line. But still, that kind of usage in HS is off the charts.

I also think you make a good point about the experience of a playoff run. I think it's been huge for both Collins and Hargrove. It extended their seasons by 6-7 games, put them in high-pressure situations (i.e. win or go home) every time out, gave them bigger stages and crowds to play on and in front of, made them the focal point of opposing defenses, and forced them to create wins by any means necessary. These two didn't fold. They responded with the best basketball of their careers, with each hitting over 80% from the line, scoring more than ever, and lifting their teams. I don't think you can measure how impactful that experience was for these two.

It doesn't tell me that they'll be instant-impact guys who will start or play huge minutes immediately in college. It does tell me, though, that they're winners who will put in the work and find their roles at SLU, doing whatever they can to help this team win. It also tells me what they can do down the road; I feel better about the ceiling for each of these two.

It’s not the scoring ability of Collins that will make him a starter, it’s his play making ability. He’s going to find the open man, which  very few others can do. Nothing is more comforting to a coach than having an elite ball handler and play maker.

HenryB likes this

31 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

It’s not the scoring ability of Collins that will make him a starter, it’s his play making ability. He’s going to find the open man, which  very few others can do. Nothing is more comforting to a coach than having an elite ball handler and play maker.

+1 This cannot be stated enough. Ford will have an easier time drawing up plays and seeing their proper execution with a guy like Collins. We definitely don't want to heap responsibilities on him as a freshman, but frankly I don't think SLU has had a playmaker of his caliber since Kwamain. 

I love this incoming class, especially since it seems like at least 4 of them can shoot FTs at a reasonably good rate.  My only concern is the 3 pt shooting percents of Collins and Hargrove.  It will take more than Jimerson to keep other teams out of the lane, defensively.  It seems like Perkins is somewhere between Jimerson and Collins/Hargrove-if that means mid-30s then I'm ok with that.  It would be nice if YC and TH develop an improved 3 pt shot to help keep the key area more open for HF and JG to get to the basket.

A grad transfer with Welmers' size and shooting ability would be more than welcome as would a 5 who can spell HF for brief periods or in case of foul trouble.

I'm looking forward to TF and his staff stacking another recruiting class in 2020, hopefully with a few of the key HS Juniors ( such as Love,  Bradford and/or Kasubke).  I think we are on a roll.

Edited by bauman
spelling

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think if he were to play serious minutes, the main factor will be his ballhandling ability. If I were a team playing Thatch/Goodwin I would want to hound them when they were handling the ball; Collins could take off some pressure the same way Isabell does. 

If Collins can guard at this level, he’ll get lots of minutes. We don’t know whether he can yet.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

At a minimum, Yuri and hopefully Jacobs will give us a more balanced rotation at the 1 and 2 spots giving Goodwin and Thatch some needed rest throughout the season.