Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

BVP will take on Aspire Academy at 5:30 Central today.

Also, just a reminder that the East St. Louis-Mascoutah game is tonight at 7 at Mascoutah, and that St. Mary's-Cape Central is tomorrow at 1 at Jefferson College (in conflict with SLU, I know). Every playoff game might be your last chance to see our future recruits play an organized HS game - #goseethekidsplay.

Less than 10 minutes away from my home so I will go see Yuri play and listen to bob and earl on my phone while I watch. The wife and I will be wearing are blue Billiken gear maybe Yuri will see it in the stands.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, willie said:

If Yuri is good enough to start I see nothing wrong with this lineup. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:58 PM, slu72 said:

I know we're discouraged to speculate on starting lineups but since PG is such a key position, if Yuri were to earn the starting role what's the line up look like? 

Yuri, JGood, Fred, Perkins, French 

Actually, I don't think he'll be a starter from day 1. But will stil get 15mpg backing up JGood who will then move to the 2 in spots. 

Very small line-up.  Might work for some opponents but here's hoping it is more like ...... Goodwin, Thatch, Hargrove, Perkins, French.  If SLU''s new players come in ready to contribute would love to see a bigger rotation.  Way too thin this year.  

But SLU really needs another big that is sure to be in the rotation.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Up until recently I didn't think anyone on the board was as high on Collins as I am.  That said, I don't think he starts next year. I think he will get major minutes just not in a starting role.

Why?  Bc of him?  Or bc of our other options? Or both? I have not yet seen him play. Just curious as to your opinion bc you have seen him play. 

5 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Why?  Bc of him?  Or bc of our other options? Or both? I have not yet seen him play. Just curious as to your opinion bc you have seen him play. 

Imo Yuri, JGood, Thatch wouldn't give you enough perimeter shooting.  But if they decided to switch it up....more full court pressing and an uptempo offense...THAT would be exciting with next year's group.

billiken_roy likes this

Up until recently I didn't think anyone on the board was as high on Collins as I am.  That said, I don't think he starts next year. I think he will get major minutes just not in a starting role.

I think everyone except Billiken Roy has been high on Collins throughout the year.

Thatch is playing 20.6 mpg in 17 conference games.  Foreman is playing 21.4 mpg in 17 conference games.  Thatch is every bit as important to this team as Foreman.  Collins gets starters minutes next year.  It's the minutes that count, not who starts.

So we are in agreement.  

brianstl likes this

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Less than 10 minutes away from my home so I will go see Yuri play and listen to bob and earl on my phone while I watch. The wife and I will be wearing are blue Billiken gear maybe Yuri will see it in the stands.

report back.I only got to see 1 1/2 qts the other night and I was blown away. If he's that fast in D-1 I don't care how small he is he will beat anyone to the hoop on a break.

Brian have you seen him much? I would of been there right with you if I saw in person what was streaming the other day.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, cgeldmacher said:

I'm trying my best to take what I've already seen this year out of the equation, but I am much more excited about the incoming recruiting class than I was about last year's class.

Last year was Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Gudmundsson, and Pearson (later Hankton).  I liked Gordon's talent, but had heard enough from folks that knew of him and his high school exploits to know that he was going to be a problem.  Other than that, I was pumped about Thatch's four year potential.  That was about it.  Jacobs, Gudmundsson, and Hankton seemed like scratch off lottery tickets rather than something solid.

The talent being brought to the table by next years newbies seems much more tangible than what we saw from last year's guys overall.  There are tools that these guys are bringing that appears more D1 ready than anyone other than Gordon and maybe Thatch last year.

You are spot on. The more I think about our recruiting choices, the more I am convinced that our best odds of getting a really good impact player is for us to sign 4 year incoming Freshmen in the Fall. Yes there are exceptions but as a general rule - Fall is usually better than Spring.  And the reason Ford only signed 2 Fall recruits last year (Thatch and Gordon) was bc we didnt have the openings until last Spring from S2. Had we known last Fall, the Coach Ford signs not only Thatch and Gordon but three (3) others -  and if so, we are good this year and certainly next year.  Instead, Dr Fred keeps these kids around for 3/4 of the year and then kicks them out. Thanks again Dr P.   If so, we dont sign Jacobs, Hankton and Thor. 

By comparison, I hear the name “project”around our only Spring recruit (Bell - whether fair or not) and, in contrast,  I hear alot of optimism around our 4 Fall recruits. Most believe our incoming 4 Fall Freshmen will make similar impacts as our 2  Fall Freshmen last year. 

If our 5 returners do return, if Ford has confidence in these same 5 guys, and if our 5 incoming recruits are as good as advertised - then 10 is good enough, get some more short term fix for bigs and let’s get another big Fall class next year. 

cgeldmacher and bauman like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I think everyone except Billiken Roy has been high on Collins throughout the year.

Thatch is playing 20.6 mpg in 17 conference games.  Foreman is playing 21.4 mpg in 17 conference games.  Thatch is every bit as important to this team as Foreman.  Collins gets starters minutes next year.  It's the minutes that count, not who starts.

So we are in agreement.  

I think collins has been splendid in the high school games ive seen.  But he is little and not dwayne polk fast plus a mediocre at best outside shooter. 

Thus i question how that will translate to the A10 level.   I hope im wrong and he becomes steve nash.   But for now i am expecting an adequate backup point guard giving us maybe 10 minutes a game.    

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You are spot on. The more I think about our recruiting choices, the more I am convinced that our best odds of getting a really good impact player is for us to sign 4 year incoming Freshmen in the Fall. Yes there are exceptions but as a general rule - Fall is usually better than Spring.  And the reason Ford only signed 2 Fall recruits last year (Thatch and Gordon) was bc we didnt have the openings until last Spring from S2. Had we known last Fall, the Coach Ford signs not only Thatch and Gordon but three (3) others -  and if so, we are good this year and certainly next year.  Instead, Dr Fred keeps these kids around for 3/4 of the year and then kicks them out. Thanks again Dr P.   If so, we dont sign Jacobs, Hankton and Thor. 

By comparison, I hear the name “project”around our only Spring recruit (Bell - whether fair or not) and, in contrast,  I hear alot of optimism around our 4 Fall recruits. Most believe our incoming 4 Fall Freshmen will make similar impacts as our 2  Fall Freshmen last year. 

If our 5 returners do return, if Ford has confidence in these same 5 guys, and if our 5 incoming recruits are as good as advertised - then 10 is good enough, get some more short term fix for bigs and let’s get another big Fall class next year. 

Actually, Ford signed 3 recruits in the fall of 2017: Gordon, Thatch, and Pearson.

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Imo Yuri, JGood, Thatch wouldn't give you enough perimeter shooting.  But if they decided to switch it up....more full court pressing and an uptempo offense...THAT would be exciting with next year's group.

My opinion is is the same as Coach’s.  I think we probably will see Goodwin, Thatch and a shooter starting. With Yuri spelling Goodwin and Thatch plus some minutes with all 3 together for a change of pace. 

2 hours ago, almaman said:

Brian have you seen him much? I would of been there right with you if I saw in person what was streaming the other day.

This season not much more than you. I think 3 Star has probably seen him more than anyone that posts here regularly.

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My opinion is is the same as Coach’s.  I think we probably will see Goodwin, Thatch and a shooter starting. With Yuri spelling Goodwin and Thatch plus some minutes with all 3 together for a change of pace. 

You dont share the same concerns as Roy?  Height, speed, shooting... Or not as much?

You dont share the same concerns as Roy?  Height, speed, shooting... Or not as much?

Outside shooting is a concern. To be as effective as he can be, he is going to have to at least become able to hit an open look occasionally. I am not as concerned about height and speed. He may not have the straight ahead speed Polk had but I think he is faster laterally than the version of Polk that played for the Billikens.  His height is what it is. I think his superior passing, vision and smarts more than make up for his height. I would be more worried about his height if his role was going to be that of a shooter/scorer.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Outside shooting is a concern. To be as effective as he can be, he is going to have to at least become able to hit an open look occasionally. I am not as concerned about height and speed. He may not have the straight ahead speed Polk had but I think he is faster laterally than the version of Polk that played for the Billikens.  His height is what it is. I think his superior passing, vision and smarts more than make up for his height. I would be more worried about his height if his role was going to be that of a shooter/scorer.

The thing that surprises me almost every time I see him play is his explosiveness. He can get to the basket for layups with ease, or get there, draw the defender, and lay it off to a teammate for an easy bucket. Granted, this will be more difficult vs bigger, better defenders, but I’d bet money on him being successful at that at the college level, too. 

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

The thing that surprises me almost every time I see him play is his explosiveness. He can get to the basket for layups with ease, or get there, draw the defender, and lay it off to a teammate for an easy bucket. Granted, this will be more difficult vs bigger, better defenders, but I’d bet money on him being successful at that at the college level, too. 

He's done it against elite AAU players, as well.

Caught the tail end of the St. Mary’s vs Cape Central game. St. Mary’s won 68-62 and Yuri finished with 31 despite being doubled the whole time late game. Something I noticed is that he’s A LOT faster this year than he was when I watched last year 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

http://www.citylinktv.com/channel/prepcasts-stl-channel-8-smsn/

Stream for Yuri game. 4 minutes left. He is taking over. Chants of you can't guard him from St Mary's fans. Can definitely see the Russell Westbrook comparison

I don’t see how they can keep Collins off the court next season . He was unguardable despite constant double and triple teams. 31 points and 10 assists, single handily won the game for St Marys. 

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/boxscore.php?s=746&e=618340

MattyMo213 and Zink like this

CB's unofficial stats of FBPGYC aka Future Billiken Point Guard Yuri Collins.

Shooting 10-14, 1 steal, 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 9-11 free throws, 1-4 3pt. 30 points.

Yuri played every minute so he should fit in with the Billikens.  Yuri was really gassed.

We sat 4 rows behind the St. Mary's bench next to the brother of the 2 guard number 4 on Saint Mary's a very nice young man and was having a great time.

It was a full house and load both schools had great fans.

BIG BILL FAN likes this