Signed Recruit Thread 2018-19

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Sweet mother of perpetual help....I clicked on the link and fast forwarded to about 1/3 of the way through that video. First play I see:

Collins inbounds the ball under his offensive basket, throws the ball off the guy supposedly guarding the inbound, grabs it, makes a layup, is fouled.

I need someone with too much time and the proper skill to make a highlight video of this game for Yuri. 

3 hours ago, ACE said:

My question is... is Collins the same-caliber of player who can make a significant impact as a freshman the way Mitchell did? It seems like Collins has exceeded expectations his senior HS season, especially considering he was coming back from injury.

One of my pet peeves with this team (other than our inability to set proper screens) is lazy passes. If a pass is off-center, is too soft or too hard, or a player isn't spaced appropriately, it allows the defense to adjust. To me, that is a large part of why our offense has been so damn stagnant. Drives me nuts, especially when we rotate the ball. 

That is why, of our current recruits, I am most excited about Collins. He can do these intangibles that make an offense flow. If he can handle the ball (passing, dribbling) and display high basketball IQ (spacing, setting up the offense, etc) I think he will get major minutes regardless of his scoring ability. 

3 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

One of my pet peeves with this team (other than our inability to set proper screens) is lazy passes. If a pass is off-center, is too soft or too hard, or a player isn't spaced appropriately, it allows the defense to adjust. To me, that is a large part of why our offense has been so damn stagnant. Drives me nuts, especially when we rotate the ball. 

We've done a lot better with those passes as of late. 

I'm trying my best to take what I've already seen this year out of the equation, but I am much more excited about the incoming recruiting class than I was about last year's class.

Last year was Gordon, Thatch, Jacobs, Gudmundsson, and Pearson (later Hankton).  I liked Gordon's talent, but had heard enough from folks that knew of him and his high school exploits to know that he was going to be a problem.  Other than that, I was pumped about Thatch's four year potential.  That was about it.  Jacobs, Gudmundsson, and Hankton seemed like scratch off lottery tickets rather than something solid.

The talent being brought to the table by next years newbies seems much more tangible than what we saw from last year's guys overall.  There are tools that these guys are bringing that appears more D1 ready than anyone other than Gordon and maybe Thatch last year.

SShoe and Zink like this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Also, didn't St. Mary's basically start a young team this year. If Yuri can make a bunch of newbies play better , what can he do with D1 talent. 

Thats what I was thinking.  I thought I remembered hearing that St Mary's wasn't going to be very good this year and that's why Yuri was thinking about playing his senior year else where. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Also, didn't St. Mary's basically start a young team this year. If Yuri can make a bunch of newbies play better , what can he do with D1 talent. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thats what I was thinking.  I thought I remembered hearing that St Mary's wasn't going to be very good this year and that's why Yuri was thinking about playing his senior year else where. 

St. Mary's graduated like 8 seniors last year, and pretty much all of them were rotational players. So Collins is surrounded by guys who either didn't play much on varsity last season or were on the sophomore team last season. There are 3 other seniors on the team this year and they average about 10-11 PPG combined.

I never heard from a good source that he was going to transfer for his senior year. He got the surgery and knew he'd be out for a while. I think he wound up missing their first 8 games. Now he's clearly healthy, St. Mary's has won 6 in a row and looks like a serious contender in class 4, and he'll be on campus in under 3 months. He was smart to stay and see things through at Southside Catholic.

wgstl likes this

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

St. Mary's graduated like 8 seniors last year, and pretty much all of them were rotational players. So Collins is surrounded by guys who either didn't play much on varsity last season or were on the sophomore team last season. There are 3 other seniors on the team this year and they average about 10-11 PPG combined.

I never heard from a good source that he was going to transfer for his senior year. He got the surgery and knew he'd be out for a while. I think he wound up missing their first 8 games. Now he's clearly healthy, St. Mary's has won 6 in a row and looks like a serious contender in class 4, and he'll be on campus in under 3 months. He was smart to stay and see things through at Southside Catholic.

Best jerseys in high school basketball

I know we're discouraged to speculate on starting lineups but since PG is such a key position, if Yuri were to earn the starting role what's the line up look like? 

Yuri, JGood, Fred, Perkins, French 

Actually, I don't think he'll be a starter from day 1. But will stil get 15mpg backing up JGood who will then move to the 2 in spots. 

if yuri starts it would be at the "expense" of thatch imo.   not goodwin.   my guess you will see him as the first guard off the bench backing up both goodwin and thatch.   jimerson, perkins and hargrove will man the 3 and 4 and french is our center with bell as his backup. 

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if yuri starts it would be at the "expense" of thatch imo.   not goodwin.   my guess you will see him as the first guard off the bench backing up both goodwin and thatch.   jimerson, perkins and hargrove will man the 3 and 4 and french is our center with bell as his backup. 

Agreed. We can't afford to start two nonshooters in the backcourt.  In fact, I don't think Yuri will start until his junior year for that reason. A better fit in the backcourt would be Yuri and Fred but Fred will not beat out Goodwin for a backcourt spot.  And while I like Goodwin at the 3, I like Perkins there better.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I know we're discouraged to speculate on starting lineups but since PG is such a key position, if Yuri were to earn the starting role what's the line up look like? 

Yuri, JGood, Fred, Perkins, French 

Actually, I don't think he'll be a starter from day 1. But will stil get 15mpg backing up JGood who will then move to the 2 in spots. 

If Yuri is good enough to start I see nothing wrong with this lineup. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

SWIC has yet to post stats from the games, but it looks like they beat SEIC 84-61 on Monday and lost to John A. Logan 73-62 last night. I'll update this post with Perkins' stats when they become available. His season is over, so I'll also post his full-season stats.

Stats still haven't posted, but:

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

He was out awhile too if I recall correctly 

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

Meanwhile, Hargrove and East St. Louis are still alive after a 61-52 win over Herrin. Hargrove finished with 16 points (7-17, 1-5, 1-1), 10 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 6 turnovers. They'll play the winner of Highland and Mascoutah on Friday; the Highland-Mascoutah game is tonight. All games are at Mascoutah.

Mascoutah rolled over Highland tonight, 77-50, after a barrage of 3-pointers. I had forgotten that Justin Love is Mascoutah's coach. So it's SLU vs. SLU as Hargrove and ESL play Mascoutah at their place for the sectional championship on Friday night.

52 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

He's more of a wing than a PF as I see others in here suggesting.  Not big enough or physical enough on defense to play PF.  

I have thought of him as a SF based on what you are saying. But playing him at the 2 intrigues me now if his perimeter game is that good. 

16 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for this post I live 5 minutes away from Jefferson College the wife and I will attend.

Last year I wanted to see Fred Thatch play there but I had to work this time I am off and I look forward to seeing him play.

So do I.  Thought I was the only one down here.

BVP will take on Aspire Academy at 5:30 Central today.

Also, just a reminder that the East St. Louis-Mascoutah game is tonight at 7 at Mascoutah, and that St. Mary's-Cape Central is tomorrow at 1 at Jefferson College (in conflict with SLU, I know). Every playoff game might be your last chance to see our future recruits play an organized HS game - #goseethekidsplay.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

BVP will take on Aspire Academy at 5:30 Central today.

Also, just a reminder that the East St. Louis-Mascoutah game is tonight at 7 at Mascoutah, and that St. Mary's-Cape Central is tomorrow at 1 at Jefferson College (in conflict with SLU, I know). Every playoff game might be your last chance to see our future recruits play an organized HS game - #goseethekidsplay.

Am I missing something?  On the bottom it says Kentucky, but its talking about an Arizona match up 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Am I missing something?  On the bottom it says Kentucky, but its talking about an Arizona match up 

Bella Vista Prep is located in Arizona. They're in Kentucky playing for the Grind Session championship. The team they're playing today is from Louisville (although it relocated from Arizona two years ago).